Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The making of a 'Hood Cat

The one and only Opinionated Diva recently brought home a cat. Congratulations, Girl.

The cat's name is Vanessa. Opinionated Diva thought of changing it to something more "hood", but decided against it.

I had the same problem with my cat Oscar... Hence, the addition of his middle name "Tyrone".

Opinionated Diva, you had me reminiscing about my angst concerning Oscar's name.

So I decided to repost the original post from January '06, where I discussed it! I am following it up with more "angst" of another sort.

Enjoy!

(circa 01/11/06)



Poor Oscar...

Poor Oscar-Tyrone...

My orange tabby Jeremy died back in November, and my eight-year old brown tomcat Oscar Tyrone has been a bit upset... and perplexed, every since. He sometimes walks around at night, wailing terribly.

When I get home from work in the evenings, he's always waiting there at the door expectantly, as if to say...

"Hey Ladylee, hope you had a great day! Do you have a special friend for me in your backpack?"

He requires a lot more attention these days, and I have had to force myself to pick him up and spend at least ten minutes a day petting and talking to him...

As I said earlier, I've had Oscar for eight years. Way back in 1997 the day after Christmas, my ex-husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, came home around two in the morning after just getting off from his night job... He turned on the bedroom light.

"Lee," he whispered.
"Um, can you turn off that light, please?" I answered.
"I just had to do it."
"Had to do what?"
"I had to do it."
"I'm not sure what you had to do, but you need to turn off that light," I said.
"I just had to get that kitten I was telling you about," he said.
I sat straight up in the bed. He'd been talking about a kitten for the past two weeks. I believe it belonged to a friend of his who was about to move out of state. "Old Boy, I told you not to bring that damn cat home. You know Jeremy is crazy, and he's gonna lose his mind." We'd discussed the extra cat issue, and it was out of the question.
"But I couldn't help it."
"Where is the damn cat?"
"Out in the car."
I put on some clothes and went out to his Honda and spent a couple of minutes looking for the kitty. I finally saw him, a little brown furry mass almost swallowed up by a white Hartz Flea and Tick collar, sitting up in the back window, looking at me like I was crazy.
I grabbed him and took him in the house.
"Baby, are you mad?" Oldboy asked.
"Nope, but Jeremy is gonna be, um, quite pissed." Jeremy was off somewhere asleep or brooding.
"What's his name?" I asked.
"Oscar."
"Oh, I know you gonna change that shit."
"Why?" Oldboy asked. "I kind of like that name."
"Sounds too white," I said.
"Well I ain't changing his name."
Erykah Badu's Tyrone had just come out. "Well, his middle name will be Tyrone."
Oldboy reluctantly agreed to the middle name.

When we divorced, Oldboy balked at the idea of taking his cat with him. "We can't break up the cats!" he wailed when I asked him if he wanted his cat. That sounded a bit silly. Shoot, we were breaking up.

So I have custody of Oscar-Tyrone.

I've been looking at kittens here and there, but I think I will wait until spring to get a new one.

Until then, I'll just have to hear poor Oscar Tyrone's late night wailings.

Don't worry, little boy... you'll have a friend soon!

~~fuzzy wavy lines... back to the present~~

LOL!!

Well, Oscar has a friend... a bootleg "permanent house guest" name Kramer.

Here's Kramer with his "Mama" Chayse... She has very liberal visitation rights, lol.


Kramer needs a middle name which will make him sound more hood.

We've been calling him "Kramer Leroy", but that sound half-crazy...

I walked over to the backside of my cubicle area and told Kramers "grandma" ol' Mean Ass Cynthia to come up with a middle name for her grandson.

She gave me the *gas face* and told me to talk to Chayse about it. I refuse to do that. Chayse came up with "Kramer". (Well, his name use to be "Flounder", so that's an improvement, but still...)

Other suggestions: "Kramer Leon", "Kramer Rashun"

Or maybe we will just call that dude plain ol' Kramer.

Hmmm.... we'll see.

14 comments:

  1. Kramer Jerome...

    Tyson Kramer...

    Kramer Tariq (Tyreek...heck, I don't know how to spell it)...

    Kramer + any name with an apostrophe in it...

    Kramer + any name with 5 or more syllables...AND an apostrophe, lol...

    Kramer Obama (but maybe he'd be accused of talkin' down to all the other 'hood cats)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:50:00 PM

    Kramer Cleophus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naw naw naw, he's got to have a pimp name. Something like "Big Cat Kramer Blaze" or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol @ terry. How 'bout Kramer "Silky" Jackson or Kramer "A Pimp Named Slickback" Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There ya go lb! Slickback Kramer Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say that I do like the pimpy names, lol...

    @"Anon"... Ol Mean Ass Cynthia stop playing. You'd talk much trash if your grandson's name was Cleophus...

    @ all... other names of choice: Jelani, Jacquez, Maurice, Tariq, Bernard, Lee, Leon, Niambi, Daweet, Mathew, Rashun, Denzel, Deion, Tyrone and Tyrese.

    I do like that "Tyson"! LOL!!!

    His grandpa says "Kramer Shabazz!"

    We hooped and hollered over that one at work, lol

    But his Mama Chayse called me and simply said

    "Kramer William".

    Hmm... and we've been running around the house screaming "Willie!!!"

    Poor cat.

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a cat person at all...but they are some lil cutie pies. I like that lil story about Oscar...aww!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kramer Akeem!!!

    Nothing much else to say! But...

    I LOVE YOU LADYLEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thats a big ass cat! geesh

    umm no help on names though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ A Go Bytch...

    Hon, we ain't the bestest cat people in the world. Oscar and Kramer look at each other and say "Thank the Lawd we have each other to play with, because LadyLee and Kentucky are some bustas.", , lol.

    Glad you liked the story. I still can't believe I got custody of the cat. sigh.

    @King 68 the 2nd...

    Akeem! I like, I like!

    You only saying you love me because I'm in charge of the Castle kitchen. I luv you too, but I'ma STILL need you to get some of the other haremites to come in from the castle pool and help me COOK! HUMPH!

    LOL@ Akeem!! Goodness gracious!

    @Patrice... Kramer isn't big. That joker just got A LOT of hair. Drives me nuts!! We are NOT accustomed to petting cats, let along BRUSHING them. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooops! Forgot the name....

    Kramer Lutha King Junius

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:49:00 PM

    How about Kramer Da'shun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lmao @ your cat having a middle name!!!!! And feeling crazy because I might just do the same thing! lol

    lmao @ Kramer cleophus!!!!!

    My Vanessa is so clingy...if I had a bigger place, I'd consider getting her a mate. Right now she is driving me crazy running two steps ahead of me ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm opting for Kramer Le Roy. ;)

    That was a through street in the Northeast starting and ending in different neighborhoods. Depending on the location, it was either pronounced Le Roy or Leroy.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!