Thursday, October 02, 2008

Lost and Found, Part II

So...

I was cruising down I-20, heading home from work after picking up a prescription at the White people's Kroger, when my cell phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Lesia!"

"Yeah, who is this?" I wait for a reply. Nobody calls me that. My fam calls me "Lee" or "Lisa". Hell, some folks even call me "LadyLee". Most throw an "A" on "lesia" and call me that, since that is my gub'ment name.

"Lesia."

"Yeah, wassup?" I couldn't place the voice. Didn't sound like any of the jokers I'd given my number to in the past.

"This Milton."

I think for what feels like forever, even though it's a few seconds.

Then the name registers. I'm on the highway, but I slow down.

It was my Father.

Hmmm...

I'm not sure how I was suppose to react. It wasn't like I'd been looking for him for years. I live downtown, and he lives in East Lake, which is about 10 minutes from my spot. I pass through his neighborhood all the time as a back street way home from my favorite Farmer's Market.

This past summer, I looked up the address on MapQuest. Drove past his house a few times, saying to myself, if he was outside, I would slow down and say something. But he wasn't. And I am NOT knocking on anyone's door unannounced. I don't get down like that.

But I must credit my baby blog sista, That Original Oldgirl The LBeezy, for getting my feet unstuck, and getting me to do something. We were reading a piece of Inspirational fiction together last spring , Tia McCollors' The Truth about Love, and there was a woman in the book who found out information about her father. She went down to his place of business to meet him and he just outright rejected her.

This bothered me, and it was something that LBeezy and I discussed. She listened as I verbalized my thoughts about it and how it reminded me of myself a bit. I think I've called my father twice in the last 5 years or so, just to say hello, and he was very aloof. I think he was just shocked or something and didn't know what to say. I pretty much took it as a cue not to bother him.

Anyway, The LBeezy made a suggestion: I should send him a note in the mail with my phone numbers, and if he wants to call and meet, then that would be that.

I thought it was an excellent idea and decided to do it. She even gave me a deadline for the task, which was August 6th, I believe.

So, I did that and he called yesterday. What is this, almost 2 months later. This doesn't surprise me. I hear that we are a lot alike. I myself woulda waited and thought on the matter.

Now, I said I was estranged from my Father. I don't know if "estranged" is a good word. I just don't know him. And my Mama (who I am estranged from), has said so many awful things about him when I was growing up that, heck, I thought I would do myself good just to stay away from the man.

But, later on, in my 20's, my Auntie Joyce and I talked about it, and she pretty much let me know that most of the stuff said was simply not true. I was completely unnerved by one of my Mama's ex-boyfriends who would look at me as if he was about to wail or something. I mean, this dude would be happy to see me (very strange). He told me one day, "You was almost mine, you were suppose to be mine, blah, blah, blah!!" This unnerved me, because it made me think that Milton might not even be my father. My Aunt, who seems to know EVERYTHING (lol), cleared this up. She said that it was true, that this dude did wish that I was his, but Milton was indeed my father. We've discussed over the years my thoughts on it all.

So I made a goal to talk to Milton by the time I turned 30.

Well, I am 38 now. Uh, age 30 has long since past.

I asked my Aunt for his information some 5 years ago, and she gave it to me. She was fully supportive of me contacting him, and thought there wouldn't be any problem.

I must admit all that my Mother has said about him has continued to occupy my thoughts, and it has taken much to undo such. I mean, I don't want anything from the man. No issues of grilling him about why he wasn't there. None of that. I wrote all of that in the note I sent.

Darius wrote on his personal blog this week about "To do" lists, namely things on the "to do" list of life. It is on my list to sit down and talk to my father. Period. Have dinner and convo, and go on about my business. I'm grown now, my Mama ain't in the mix to muck things up (as usual), and that's that.

So, like I said, he called. I haven't had a face-to-face talk with him since I was 10 years old, and I attended his parents funerals (was forced to do it by my Mother, really), and he was upset that I didn't come by the house. I think after that, I let it go.

But he called, and I think we talked for about 10 minutes. This was odd to me because I haven't talked to him for 10 minutes total during my whole lifetime. He asked me how I'd been, if I had a job, if I was married and had a family, and how my Mama was doing.

He asked when I was coming over. I said he would have to let me know when a good time was. He said, "Hell, whenever, in the middle of the night, I don't care. I just want to see you before I croak!"

I told him that my schedule didn't permit me stopping by anytime soon, as work is very time-consuming for the next couple of weeks. So I would have to let him know.

He asked why I hadn't been over in all these years. I said that I was simply afraid. I don't know him, and have heard too strange stuff about him. So that's all it is. He said he understood. (Yeah, he is familiar with my Mother's tactics).

Then he said something that was odd. "You know I love you, don't you? Always have."

I was like, "Well, thank you very much."

He was a bit hurt by that. Asked why I didn't feel the same way. I simply said I don't know him. I'm just grown now, out from under my mother's influence, and wanted to see and talk to him.

I mean, what are you supposed to say to such?

I rarely tell people that I love them. It has to be forced and yanked out of me. And it unnerves me something terrible to hear people tell me that they love me. Just a bit of my quirky personality. I wasn't raised hearing such things. But for me love is action. Plain and simple. If I have love for you, my actions tell you this. You can tell me this, or I can tell you such all day long, but for me action speaks louder than those three words. And I suppose it's best when love and action go hand in hand.

So for him to say that, well... I just told him how I felt about all that, and that was that.

What was particularly funny was that he was insisting that I write his number down. I had to repeatedly tell him that when he called, his number showed up on my cell, and I could save it later. I still had to hear "I'll wait while you get a pen, girl!"

LOL!

One thing I recognized in 10 minutes time, which I found totally BIZARRE is that we have the same sense of humor. I mean, he would say stuff that I myself would say... that is all very very strange to me.

So I am due for a visit. My best friend LadyTee and I had a long talk about it all, and she yelled "I wanna go with you."

Just her way of saying "Girl, you can't handle this. I am going with you."

So, once work has calmed down (Ya'll who know me know the national crises bullish I'm currently working with), I will go over there. Definitely some time this month.

I have absolutely no expectations. I am grown now. All the lies (which he conincidently talked about) are pretty much out of my head (I suppose). Just want to see him, since he is a part of my DNA.

I just want to sit down and visit with him. I may or may not come back around, according to how that goes.

We will see.

19 comments:

  1. Awww..
    We love you LadyLee. Good fortune. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you decide will be right for you at that moment.

    I love you and there ain't nothing you can od about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey mami, glad that you and him got a chance to talk and such.

    hope you and him can begain to have a relationship and let him try and correct his mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope y'all can form and maintain a good relationship. I have a few friends who have mothers that did the same. I also know a few females who have done the same as your Mom.

    Either Momma was bitter as hell or terrified of losing you to him. Maybe both.

    Don't be surprised if Daddy keeps rehashing the past. That's his way of trying to let you know that he was truly justified in his absence....along with figuring that you'd eventually get old enough to make your own decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:12:00 PM

    I hope everything works out Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ms. Blackliterature.com...

    Alright, gal... Much oblige!

    @Lovebabz...

    Shut it, BABZ!! lol..

    I plan on seeing him. See how that go, and go from there.

    @Dreamy...

    I don't know about the relationship thing, and him correcting mistakes... just want to sit down and talk to him and keep it moving.

    @Harpo's Woman...

    What's this here relationship thang ya'll talking of? Goodness gracious, I'm not thinking of that at this time. I am very much too myself, just like he is (Maybe that's where I got it from, lol).

    I think my mother was just validating her own decisions. If that's her way of dealing with it, then that's that. Takes a lot for me to undo the things she has said in the past.

    @That Southern Black Gal...

    Oh, it will be alright. The phone convo was interesting enough. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Technically I am an only child. When I was younger, I used to talk to myself alot because there wasn't really anyone else around to talk to. The only person that I hung out with regularly was my mom and her friends, and it wasn't like I was gonna have a deep conversation with a 30something.

    Eventually I started to write because it seemed like paper was the only one I could talk to. When I got older and my home life was more stable so I could make some actual friends, they never seemed to quite take the place of writing. For the longest, I could never figure out why I still needed to.

    I write because I know I am not the only one. And if maybe, someone else doesn't have to feel as alone as I used to feel, maybe I have done something worthwhile with this life.

    I say all that to say thank you for reading and contributing. And I hope that things go well. And maybe I will even write my own father that note someday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *LadyLee falls prostrate on the ground as La eases by her blog. LadyLee repeats a million times "La is the truuuuuth. La is the truuuuuth."*

    Uh, you know, it deeply disturbs me and I gasp hard for air whenever you leave a comment. I am like "Now I know that this chile should not be reading my blog. My blog ain't worth her eyes falling against." LOL

    Well, I am glad you write, and specifically that Riverwide post. Goodness. You DO tend to take it to that other level. I think I've read that post a good 5 times. I STILL think I missed something, because I see something different everytime I read it.

    And I hope you write a note someday. If just for your own sanity. I think my situation is MUCH less complicated than your own, but it was appropriate for me, much better than phoning or showing up. So hopefully it works out fine. Hope you find the courage to do the same. And that's what it takes... a bit of courage. Because it is hard...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well...however it ends is not in my focus right now...I'm just glad that it started!

    I LOVE YOU, LEEZARUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally understand how you feel. Yup - glad this is your list! For real!

    I have that same situation with my father - but he's dead - so I understand you - for real

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go on and see Daddy...its in the cards -- bet you gain more than you lose -- and you'll move on with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. For what it's worth, I think you should talk to your father if for nothing else to draw closer on the last bit of unfinished business from your childhood.

    Oh yeah and thanks for coming by my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous1:08:00 AM

    You should not waste your time with MapQuest. Much better: maps.google.com. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a similar experience with my father...it didn't turn out well, but I truly hope you get what you want out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool beans, Lee. That's a start. I'm sure whatever happens will be because that's what you want...so..best of luck for whatever that may be. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Lee. I hope you do get a chance to have that convo. I hope you get even more good surprises about how you and he are alike. I hope he tells you many more times that you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am thrilled you've taken a step in that direction, and he met you half way. Go Milton!

    Be brave LadlyLee and know that in the end you'll benefit from the experience.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!