Thursday, May 26, 2011

Busted! Broken!

(Drawing for TWO books tommorrow, so stay tuned)

So...

I was laying in bed the other night...

I'd been fast asleep. I awakened, peered at the green digital numbers of the alarm clock.

4:16 a.m.

Good, I thought. I have a good couple more hours before it's time to get up.

So I roll over.

And I hear a slow "Cruuuuuuuunnnnnnnch". Followed by a snap.

And I moan "Noooooooooooooooooooooooo."

That crunch was the sound of my glasses breaking.



(Sidenote: You see how I tried to make them look all nice, right? Placing them lovingly on the glass coffee table in the living room... next to some fake green ivy. LOL)

I reluctantly turned on the lamp, and there they were, my eyeglasses...

Busted! Broken!

Oh goodness. This pair only lasted 2 years. My glasses normally last 5 years. I wear some glasses completely out.

I tell you there is nothing worse than a pair of broken glasses. Well there are much worse things. I almost call it trivial, because in the light of true tragedy, it is nothing... But I'd paid $350 for this pair. I don't mind paying that much as long as they last awhile.

Two years is not long enough. And I didn't like these glasses anyway. They were from one of the more popular eyeglass retail stores. I wasn't all that impressed with the eyeglass wear. But I needed some glasses.

Soooo, with these broken glasses came the quest and mission to find new ones.

I decided to ditch the popular retailer and go with a less popular one. Sure, the glasses would be more expensive, but not that much more....

Right?

I made an appointment to have my eyes examined over at a place in the hood. (But it was the "Good" hood). First interesting sign of issues was that the Doctor was late. I wasn't happy about this, as I needed to get to work. Oh well. I waited.

The eye exam was fast. Got my prescription from her and preceded to look around at the frames available.

I knew there was a problem when I saw Versace, Dolce Gabbana (however you say that), Coach, etc...

"These are high end designer frames," I said quietly to myself.

I found an interesting pair of frames similar to my own. I'd never heard of them, but they were just as expensive as the Versace frames.

I told the associate that I wanted that pair. We sat down and he added up everything. I need progressive bifocals. That's a first. I also like transition lenses, and a super thin lenses.

Yeah that adds up. That's why my glasses have been in the three hundred dollar range. Not sure how much the bifocals would add. Oh well.

But I wasn't prepared for how much the associate said my glasses would be.

"The total is 783 dollars."

I just stared at him. I was waiting for him to say he was joking. He looked at me with a straight face.

"You joking, right?"

"No," he said.

I held up my 50% off coupon. "Even with my coupon."

Actually, he had said that they were 40% off. (Only certain frames qualified for 50% off. Mine didn't. Go figure.)

So he said it would be $1200 without the coupon.

I just KNEW this dude was joking. But he was not.

"I ain't NEVER paid $800 for glasses. Never!"

He went into some spiel about how I had special lenses.

Uh no. Ain't no lenses THAT special. They better be self cleaning and give me Xray vision. Something!

Anyway, I told him that I would pass. I reluctantly drove over to the place where I bought my last pair of eyeglasses. That would just have to do.

I perused the frames, which all of a sudden after my experience at the other store, looked good enough to me.

Interestingly enough, a transvestite came into the store. We perused frames together. He kept me HIGHLY entertained. Tried to get me to look at these fancy frames. I had to keep telling him, "Look, that's what you wear when you trying to go out and party and be fancy. I'm a plain chick. I need everyday wear."

That was a RIOT.

I priced out some frames very similar to what I have. My total was $374. Good enough. This is WAAAY better of a price than the last store.

So now I have to be more proactive. I'm going to also buy a pair online pretty soon. They are much cheaper, and shouldn't run anymore than a couple hundred dollars. So I will see what that's about.

And I could definitely use that extra pair around the house, you think?

That'll be better than paying close to a grand for new glasses!

LOL

8 comments:

  1. That's how much glasses cost? *eating carrots*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...zenni optical. Check them out. I buy form them ALL the time and I have never paid more than $50. Seriously and my glasses are really really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? seven eigty what??? Glasses are pricey...both Alyssa and I wear them when not wearing our contacts, but good grief...I've never had to pay that much. I'm glad you found a pair more in line with your normal costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sleep with my glasses on the bed too. I tuck them inside the pillow case of the other pillow before I go to sleep. lol

    I have been wearing glasses (and contacts) FOREVER...I need that opti-thin lense too...and I aint never even came close to $1200!! that's craaaaazy...they marked it up 60%, then offer 50% off their over-priced frames.

    sooooo glad you saw through that and moved on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see you just starting at him when he said $700. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so freaking insane! LOL

    I'm going to check out the site Lovebabz mentioned for Tony and Jaelyn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $1200 without the coupon. They must be smoking. SMH.

    I have rolled on to my glasses and had to wear old scripts that were weak. It was not pretty. I have had some interesting things happen with glasses.

    I plan to go to a new doc next month and get my new glasses. This is the last year I will have vision care at my job. I will be looking into alternatives online too for my pair after these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're like I am with the needing bifocals and all. I recently purchased some at one of the discount eyeglass shops and was hit with a $450.00 tab.
    I'm going back to contact lens...so much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!