Monday, May 30, 2011

Good Monday Morning- Memorial Day Edition

Good Late Monday Morning.

(It's not noon yet. Well, it will be afternoon by the time I finish this post, lol.)

In that case... Good Monday Afternoon!!

I am up at at 'em on this Memorial Day.



I have been watching much of the special programming this morning, stories of soldiers fallen and still serving, including my Grandfather, uncles and my brother. So today I salute them, and I'm thankful to them for protecting my freedom.

Today has been quiet, yet busy. I woke up around five this morning and spent some time praying and reading. I washed and folded clothes. I ate breakfast. Then I got the notion to do some painting. I answered a few emails, did a little tweeting, and voila... It ain't even noon.

I am being a productive Oldgirl.

Alas, I'm not doing much else today. Lots of reading. I am currently reading Tayari Jones' Silver Sparrow. I'd previously read rough drafts a year or two ago, but man... just reading the final draft and all her changes... It's like reading it for the first time. Total excitement.

I spoke with her yesterday about an article about Silver Sparrow in the local AJC. I couldn't track it down online for her, so imagine me rolling outta here yesterday in my houseshoes and pjs in search for the newspaper. Normally I can go buy one from the man who stands on the side of the freeway entrance.

Sunday he wasn't there.

So imagine me. In house shoes. And pajamas. Hair uncombed. Walking into the gas station to purchase newspapers.

LOL... Don't matter. I live in the 'hood. 'Tis the normal look. LOL!

Great article. As to be expected. I'm looking forward to seeing her and getting the books signed and hearing her read during the week of June 5th. Can't wait to see ya, Oldgirl!!

I am not grilling out today. Nerp. No need. Just relaxing.

Quotes. There are some pretty good quotes on twitter right now by Consciousskillz. Right now he is dicussing self love among other things. Here are a few to think about.

How others see you will never be as improtant as how you see yourself.

The perceptions that others have of you should never be the ones you live your life by.

Never be so quick to give up on the unique qualities that make you just who you are.

Life is too short to be weighed down with the insecurities and baggage of others. Help if you can. If not, move on.

The fear of letting go or losing something is what keeps us staying or holding on to things way after their expiration date.


Those are all very good. Very good indeed.

So with that, I am outta here. About to got relax and read. Do a few more chores. A little more painting.

Enjoy your Memorial Day... on purpose.

5 comments:

  1. I love those quotes. I think I'll put a few of them on my kids mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hood or not...I woulda looked at you like you were the crazy person that walks the street at all hours. LOL!

    Would you believe that I am going to be out of town the week she comes? I have NEVER traveled for this job and next week I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...not feeling the attire ;) But I do love the quotes and the attitude of relaxation!

    Happy Memorial Day To You!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finished Silver Sparrow this morning. It took me two days. It was fabulous. My favorite line from the book: They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. But they are wrong. What doesn't kill you, doesn't kill you. That's all you get. Sometimes, you just have to hope that's enough.

    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice quotes! I can relate to all of them.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!