Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Favorite Gifts, Part I

I sometimes get interesting cards and gifts in the mail from readers.

It all makes an Oldgirl smile it does.

I holler "Look Oscar-Tyrone, someone thought of me today!"

*Oscar-Tyrone gives a blank stare and walks away with his tail in the air*

Silly cat! He don't understand how great that is. I am ALWAYS thankful.

Anyway, I got a text message from my friend in my head, reader and lurker Lisa B. stating
"Good Morning! I have sent a package to you. Be on the lookout for it. Mailed it yesterday evening. Didn't put a note inside but u will know its from me."

To which I responded "O_O!!!!!!!!"

I like Lisa B. She's my best friend in my head. She is!

LOL

Anyway, I was sweeping the kitchen floor one Saturday morning, and the doorbell ring. I almost didn't answer it, thinking it was the Witnesses. But I answered.

And it was my friendly neighborhood Mail Lady! With a package for me!

She handed it to me. I almost dropped it.

"Be careful! It's heavy!" she said.

*lee cheesing real hard*

So I opened the package, and lo and behold, here's what I see:



*lee passes out on kitchen linoleum*

I didn't pass out. But I do believed I screamed loud enough for the whole block to hear me.

Let's see, there was some squash relish, some green tomato relish, and some chow-chow!

I have never had green tomato relish before. You best believe I opened that jar and grabbed a spoon and had myself a taste.

That is sho nuff something good! Sho NUFF!

And then there was some chow-chow. That is cabbage relish. I LOVE chow-chow. My great-grandmother use to make it back in the 70s. It took her ALL day, too. I remember sitting in the kitchen watching her do it... and while it cooked, we would go in the bedroom, and watch her "stories" (soap operas).

Oh the memories. And Lisa B. sent me some.

THEN there was the squash relish.

Now I posted about this awhile back. She gave me mason jars of squash relish, pear preserves, and plum jelly.

All of it was good. Still working on the jam and jelly!

Ohhhhhh, I made that squash relish last a good long time!

But alas... I ran out. And I called my sister Kentucky, who found the squash relish recipes on the web, talkinbout how she was going to make some.

Humph.

I gave Kentucky some of MY relish way back then. I can still see her putting some in a small gladware container.

(I want my disposable container back, Kentucky).

I sent Kentucky the above picture of MY relishes.

When I talked to her later, she said "Ooh wee, I'm coming over to get some of that!

*crickets*

"The hell you say," I said. "You gits none of this."

That shut that conversation line down.

LOL

(But I was not lying. Me and Kentucky gonna FIGHT if she even think she gets a taste of it. Knock out, drag out fight 'til one of us passes out.)

So Lisa B.

Thanks sooooooo much for the relishes. You gonna keep me eating good until next year, hon!

I 'preciate you!

Look out for a couple of jars of my homemade red bell pepper ketchup.

I've been thinking every since I made those...

"I'ma send Lisa B. and Mama Lisa some of my mason jars of ketchup... Show them that even though I am a city gal, I got some Celie in me too!"

LOL!

Stay tuned for Favorite gifts, Part II, next week (from BayouCreole Chick Ali)!

4 comments:

  1. I want to try it!!! LOL
    Would you share with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee??? lol

    LOL@ you screaming lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. *crickets*blank stare*

    It ain't going down, Mama.

    As you like to say: NERP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:08:00 AM

    I hope you enjoy the relishes LadyLee!

    ....Adrienne (Mama), you need to teach her to share! HaHaHa

    ~LisaB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky I ain't in the ATL chick. I'd have to rob...oh, I mean ask you for some.LOL

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!