Sunday, January 08, 2012

Food For Thought: Spiritual Inkpens

More Food for Thought...

I have 2 left to do. And I suppose I will do them and finish up.

I heard something a couple of weeks ago in one of my morning Bible Studies.

"Your tongue is a spiritual inkpen. You use it to write things (words) on your heart. And out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."

That is mad interesting. I've heard that before. But... never brought together like that. I found it interesting enough to jot down in my notes.

And man... sometimes, I wish folks would run out of ink. Don't you?

Sometimes, I wish I would run out of ink. LOL.

But the tongue is interesting. With our mouth we speak words. And those words can build up... or cause mad problems.

You see it every day. Just look at the political races right now.

When is YOUR state gonna be bombarded with commercials... full of words. Why do you think they pay MILLIONS of dollars on commercials? They are writing those words on your heart. And you are gonna start talking and discussing those words.

Seeing that as being true, then it is easy to see, well for my ownself and looking at my past: I really have to watch over what I speak over my own life and how I feel about my ownself.

And watch over it like a hawk.

You will never hear me say:

"I will never be anyone special."

"I will never be successful."

"This situation will never work out the way I want it."

"I am lonely. I will always be alone."

NERP. First of all, I don't think I have felt that way in over 20 years. At least.

And if I did, I shut up until I get my head straight. I find that if I get to verbalizing that stuff, I have been feeling that way for a minute. It has been wound up tight in my thought life.

Shoot, man.. go back to the last post. NONE of that can be true. You can't see five minutes in front of your face. Anything can happen. Even in the next breath you take.

And I found myself in a couple of situations in the past six months where I had to just shut up. I was nervous and afraid about a couple of things, and I have had to learn to be still and examine those feelings really closely... and not give voice to them. Yeah, I prayed about it. BUT I didn't get into that hard wail and whine about them. If I did talk about them, it would be with someone who knew me well and could relentlessly combat my negativity.

I thought much about how I wanted things to be. About what would be the best outcome for me in the situation. And THAT's what I decided to talk about, if I talked at all.

It is tough at times, since all my life I've been doing something different. My whole childhood, negative words were spoken over me, moreso that positive.

Parents, your tongues are like spiritual ink pens. You are writing words on the hearts of your children. Make sure they are good words.

I know now to do differently now. Write good words.

And things turned out just fine. And that's the way I need for it to be.

Someone told me the other day... "Lee, you really know people."

"Not really," I said. "I just listen to what they are talking about. Their words are the overflow of their hearts. I listen hard enough, I can define their true motives, purposes and intentions."

And if you listen close enough, you will hear it too.

It amazes me that we will take much time and care in selecting our fruit at the grocery store - making sure it's ripe and not blemished. Making sure there are no holes, and they're not rotten.

Yet we don't take the same care with the words that come out of our mouths... making sure they are good and not blemished or rotten. Making sure those words are sound.

Our words are more important than that fruit. For we write those words on our hearts. Take a little time to make sure they are fruitful words. Productive words.

Take heed... we are doing much with your spiritual inkpen.

Ink is hard to blot out.

Hold that ink pen correctly.

Use that ink pen wisely.

3 comments:

  1. I really have to watch over what I speak over my own life and how I feel about my ownself.<----I've learned this from you this past year and it has truly changed how and what I say. The past MONTH has been like whooaa just because of that.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And let the blog-church say Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the main areas that I am working on in my life. I really needed to read this post.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!