Friday, March 09, 2012

Friday Freestyles... The Juice Edition

Good Friday Merning to you ALL!!!

It's me! Your friendly neighborhood Oldgirl!

And as you can tell, I'm feeling mighty SPRITE this morning!

(And No. It is NOT payday!)

Why is an Oldgirl so sprite? It's been a very fine week, that is why! Not caught up in no unnecessary B.S. at work... Bills are paid...

And I have had NO processed foods, sweets, or refined stuff this week. NONE.

So I am feeling very SPRITEY! (is that a word).

I had to do something after such a bad cold a couple of weeks ago. When I catch a cold, I fall off a cliff. My colds are like the flu. Much of that was exasperated by having to work. It's always funny that my doctor will call me and say "Watch out for infection!"... in the middle of some pure ratchett cold. She didn't call me this time, though. Humph!

So I've had to supercharge myself, which usually works. And it's something that I try to do once or twice or year or after I've been sickly...

I've been JUICING!

I've written Juicing posts before. This time I stepped waaaay out of my comfort zone and added some variety. I usually stick to around 8 fruit and veggies, but this time I expanded up to 20: kale, collards, spinach, beet greens, beets, green apples, red apples, peppers, parsely, carrots, pears, pineappple, oranges, grapefruit, wheat grass, celery, dragon kale, tomatoes, cucumbers and watercress. There are probably some more items. I don't know.

But talk about variety. Whooo-hooo!!! I can come up with all kinds of strange combos.

One of my favorites has been cucumber-apple parsely juice.



Another favorite, a take on my usual juice, but with something extra added...


A combo of purple kale, cucumber, parsley, apple, carrot and beet. This is the first time I've tried kale and cucumber in some mixes, and it's worked out just fine and dandy...

Then I got to talking to Play Mama...

I came up with the bright idea of giving her the honor of coming up with some good combos...

She asked what all I had. I told her... then she said

"Carrot, orange, apple, celery, and pineapple!"



O_O

She gave some explanation of how certain things compliment each other.

It went waaaaaaaaay over my head.

*ladylee's eyes still stuck in the O_O position*
I decided to try it.

I gathered my veggies together.

Then stared real hard at it all... then went for it.



And it was GOOD. Didn't too much care for the celery aftertaste. But it was nice and frothy. Sweet. REALLY Good!



We're gonna call that the "Mama's Morning Star"!



Go Mama! You Master Mixologist!

(I think she gave me that combo because her favorite color is orange. Hmm)

So later that day I told her to come up with another combination. and she came up with spinach, apple, tomato, pineapple, apple, and ginger.



I told her up to come up with something else beside pineapple and greens. (I had a bowl of collard greens and squash relish for dinner. Shout out to Lisa B. on that squash relish! *intannet high-5*)

As you could see, she didnt' listen. Then she said add some grapefruit. O_o

But I put all that together anyway. Plus a little wheat grass. (I loathe wheatgrass, but it is good for you).

And Lo and behold we had a nice green juice.


We're goint to call that one "Mama's Midnight Special"!


I added a little too much ginger (I didn't add the whole root shown, only the two chunks shown).

It was hot! As Jill Scott says in one of her songs "I felt like cayenne pepper! Red, hot and spicy!

Dayum near burnt a whole in my chest. I was feeling that for about 30 minutes. Had to chase it with some water, man.

But a good combo. It masked up the wheatgrass taste. I was happy about that.

But all in all, this has been a good juicing week. I am very alert, I have tons of energy, and I sleep like a rock.

Who can ask for anything more?

I may continue into next week. Who knows?

But definitely minimum processed food is my goal for the rest of the month. I may have something one day this month, but that is it. I'm not craving it or anything, and I don't want to feel sluggish.

So that's my freestyles for this here friday!

And you know i have to leave you with a video...

Juicy Fruit instrumental...






How befitting!

Not much going on this weekend. I think I have a Women of Color Writing Workshop on Friday night. If it's not raining, I may go to the library this weekend. I have, like, 4 stories I need to edit. Toooo many distractions at home, gotta get somewhere quiet for a couple of hours and hash it all out.

I hope you have a great weekend... On purpose!

2 comments:

  1. Mannn I TOLD you a LITTLE ginger lol.

    So glad you are feeling great!! WOOHOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I was hoping the title was what I thought it was. I started juicing this week and wowsers, I should have been doing this a long time ago. I never even thought to juic collards...oh me oh my...I will be trying that this weekend. Thanks for the combo ideas.

    I love anything with kale in it...yum!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!