Monday, July 23, 2012

A Special Birthday

It has been awhile since I made a birthday card, with all the stickers and such.

My best friend LadyTee's daughter Miracle turned 16 on July 19th.


She was born on the first day of the Atlanta summer Olympic games in 1996. LadyTee's doctor said he was delivering babies that day, then leaving town. So everybody better come on down. LOL

We thought that was funny.

Everybody left town during that Olympic games. You talking about smog free, beautiful clear days? Wow! Freeways were clear, and there was no traffic. Atlanta residents had dipped hard! And that was fine by me.

I remember telling her "Alright, well holler at me when you have the baby. I'll be down there after school."

She had all these names picked out for her. Then she chose a name totally out the blue seem like: Miracle.

"I thought you were gonna name her something else," I said. "Where that name come from?"

"I don't know, I just just looked at her and came up with that."

"Uh alright."

I was in graduate school at the time. School was closed for three weeks, so I went and got a night job at a warehouse folding Olympic programs. I think I made an extra $400 dollars that month. That was a LOT of money for a grad student on a fixed monthly stipend. It was enough to cover the rent of my 1 bedroom in a duplex. Really.

Good to look back and remember those days.

Anyway, we went to Benihana to celebrate Miracle's birthday. It was good. I like Kiku's steakhouse better. Benihana is oldschool. Kiku's has fire flaring up everywhere (close to eyebrow singeing) and puts on a show and gives a lot more food. But I hadn't been to Benihana's since 1988. Still the same.

But I was glad to celebrate with Miracle and her family. The card I gave was even her favorite color-- pink...

Oh what a nice evening it was. I came home and chilled.

Then I woke up on Friday morning to some breaking news... That movie massacre in Colorado.

To be continued. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Miracle.

    I was one of those people leaving town. Baby Bandit was a month old when The Games started. We went to Cali and hung out there for 6 weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!