Friday, April 04, 2014

Friday Freestyles


TGIF.

I am happy it is Friday. I am having all kinds of issues with my new work schedule. I am thankful for the 6 hour workday, and I am trying to work from 6 to 12. I even get a lot done as long as I don't allow myself to be distracted. But it is doing a number on my psyche. Wow. It has been 2 weeks and I am still trying to get myself together mentally.

But I think it will work out.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the weekend.

Thought of the week. These have been interesting days in the ATL. Someone seems to on a mission to snatch up kids. Women are being attacked while out walking or running. Even out in the more affluent areas of the city, out in the suburbs. As a matter of fact, all kinds of tomfoolery is happening out in the suburbs.

I would be pretty hot about that, because doggonit, if I live alllllll the way out "here", away from the hood, and my commute is an hour, sometimes two hours to work, then life needs to PERFECT in my neighborhood.

I live in the hood. Been living in the current inner city hood for the past 8.5 years. There have been 5 murders within a mile of my house, and there might have been more, but those are the ones I remember.

But if I lived in one of the "good" and affluent neighborhoods...

When I look out the window of my house, I want to see THIS:

Yes, I want to see Snow White skipping around, birds singing and having a good time, etc. I don't want to see no crime at all. Those things are for the inner city!

Or are they?

My sister lives in a good area, and she was a bit miffed and confused about some crime in her apartment complex. I told her, crazy things happen in every area. I am a bit convinced that the news doesn't report certain things on purpose.  I told her a neighborhood could be a wonderful place, but there is all kinds of stuff going on secretly behind closed doors.  And if it all came out... Hmmm...

But I don't wanna see no mess going on in my neighborhood. My good neighborhood. My neighborhood 30 or 40 miles from work in the city. None.

But the witch does come with the poison apple, and Snow White bites it.  And that is chaotic in itself.

You can't avoid it. So when crazy things take place in a nice area, no need for me to be surprised.

That was a mini food for thought.  Something to think about.

Recipe of the week. So I have been refining my eating as of late, working on eating more raw whole foods. I have been doing okay. I have a couple of issues, but for the most part I have been leaving sweets and processed food alone. I have a goal to do one or two new recipes per week. That in itself keeps me mentally occupied concerning it all.

My sister Kentucky wanted me to do some food posts. I may or may not do that. I told her I would put a few things up here and there but she and I talk on the phone enough to talk about ideas.

So my favorite meal as of late has been garden wraps. I got this recipe from a cookbook Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 people by Jennifer Cornbleet.


Here are my wrap ingredients:

That's pretty cool because it takes me less than 5 minutes to cut up my vegetables.

But what's interesting is that a collard green leaf is used to wrap up the vegetables.
And here is my finished wrap.
I like that a lot. Good and super easy.

I tried the same thing with some romaine lettuce.
Those were good also, but I think I will stick with the collard greens.

But that has been my favorite find. Still looking for more.

Happy Anniversary. There's a special anniversary today! Happy 1st anniversary, Lucy Jr.


I have had Lucy Jr. for one year. She has proven to be a great replacement for the Original Lucy. Happy to have her.

I have driven 8252 miles in this car in the past year. Since January 1st, I have driven 2026 miles.  That is all a bit high for me, as I usually average around 5000-6000 miles a year. But I have had a lot of medical stuff going on, and my doctors are way out in the southern or western suburbs. So that means a lot of driving.

I need to drive Pam more.


That is a goal. I usually drive her on my weekend errand running. I need to drive her more, though. I have only put 200 miles on her this year. Sigh. She needs to get out more!

Song of the Week.  Ain't Nobody by Chaka Khan



This song is over 30 years old. It came out when I was in high school. It is timeless. My random play in spotify keeps going back to it in the rotation. I'm not sure what that's about. I am hearing it a bit too much! But it's still great.

Okay, that's it for me. Hopefully I can get myself mentally together with this new schedule. It is a doozy. But all things are possible.

All I know is that I am going to have a good weekend... on purpose.

You do the same.

4 comments:

  1. Good morning! Raw collards, huh? Never thought to try that. Yes to Ain't Nobody! That song always makes me dance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... who woulda thought raw collards? Doesn't seem right. But it is good and filling. And I imagine that some meat or tuna salad or something can go inside. I like that it is quick.

      Yes, that is a good song. Too bad we don't have current songs like that one.

      Delete
  2. Did you use any dressing for the wraps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. Forgot to mention it. I imagine you can dip it in anything, as it is a salad in a wrap, but I used some thai peanut sauce, and I made a mock peanut sauce with almonds. For some odd reason, these raw folks stay away from peanuts.

      Might go well with ranch dressing. I have also put a little red bell pepper hummus in my leaves. That was very good. No extra dressing needed.

      Delete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!