Friday, April 18, 2014

Happy Good Friday Freestyles

TGIF once again.

And I meant to say TGIGF!

Thank God it's GOOD Friday!

Hence, Easter Sunday is coming up this weekend. Lent will be over for many of you. I don't do Lent. I am not Catholic. But I think it's a good idea for folks, though. I have known many a catholic and noncatholic who get a LOT of things- physical, emotional, spiritual, mental- taken care of. And that's a great thing.

Anyway, I have no plans. I don't go to church on sundays as it is - I prefer weekday services- so I am definitely not going on Sunday. That's when folks who don't go to church go to church. On Easter and Mother's day. I will stay home, thank you very much. I am nontraditional, boderline heathen, lol. Plus, I figured out from scrolling around on my Roku that my church has a Roku channel. Oh joy! Shouldn't have let me find that. Live streaming on the flat screen. GLORY! *church jog in the kitchen while I'm washing dishes and watching church*

I have had a decent week, albeit I am a little stressed still. Hopefully that will diminish with the nicer weather. Hopefully.

Food of the Week. I am still trying one, maybe two new recipes per week, preferably raw recipes. This seems to be working out pretty well, as it takes me no longer than 10-15 minutes to prepare and/or cook. I am down for that, honey.

Here's one that I tried: Celeriac, pear and rocket salad from the website Coconuts and Berries.


Here is my version.


I thought it was good. It's just that I'm not that big of a fan of celery. And celeriac tastes like celery, but not as strong, if that makes any sense. I kicked mines up a notch and added some walnuts.

And I didn't grow up on celeriac. Grandma was in the kitchen cooking up plenty of turnips (which I hated), but I don't remember her cooking up no celeriacs. I have only heard of it from somebody using it on some cooking show. And even then, I thought "That's an ugly vegetable. Who on earth would have thought to eat that?"

Celeriac is a root vegetable. Here is the one I bought.



It only cost $1.00, as they were on sale at the Whole Foods that day. They had some as big as a human head. I bought the smallest one. I am not a fan of root vegetables, but I thought I'd give it a try.

Peeling that sucker is more than a notion, though. You best not use your good vegetable peeler on that one or you gonna break it. The longest part of the process was peeling it and chopping it down into matchsticks. As you can see, my matchstick cuts aren't all that uniform. It looks like I was a bit tipsy while cutting it up, lol.

It was interesting. Like I said, I don't care much for the celery taste, but it was good.

And "rocket"... You know what that is? That is the british word for arugula. LOL! Who woulda thought that? We would've ALL lost money on Jeopardy behind that one.

I am not a fan of arugula unless it is mixed with something. And if I buy a container of it, I better eat it fast, within a week, or it wilts away. But it was good in this recipe.

Celeriac is actually very good for the body.

And the celeriac root is heavy as hell. So if a sucker runs up on me, I can bust him upside the head with it and knock him out!

All that is useful to me. I have looked up other recipes. *in my Bubba voice* You can broil it, you can bake it, you can fry it, you can sautee it, you can mash it, you can eat it raw.

I may try something else with it.

I have also taken a liking to spiralized veggies.


That's zuchinni and squash. I can use that like spaghetti. Or just straight sautee it.

Hmm hmm good.

Thought of the Day. Man. I have been watching too much news. Much of that is just to see the weather reports, because the weather is so trippy... hot one day, freeze warning the next.

But is it me, or is there a LOT of craziness going on? They still can't find the Malaysian airplane that went down. And a ferry boat capsized this week. Between those two events, close to 500 lives were lost. Hopefully it's less than that, as they are trying still get up in that ferry boat.

But just think of that. And I am not one to watch much news, but it is a way overwhelming. It makes me think.

I wrote a post titled "5 Minutes" some time back. One of my favorite ministers said the following:

You worry about the future. You wail about tomorrow. Get all depressed, let the circumstances get to you. The truth of the matter is that you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Tomorrow isn't promised.

You can't even see 5 minutes in front of your face, people.


I have thought about that for a long time. The more I think about it, the more I realize how strong that statement is. We really don't know what will happen in the next 5 days or 5 hours, let alone 5 minutes. None of the passengers on any of those trips from point A to point B knew that THAT DAY would be the day of their death. And that is haunting. It truly is.

I myself try not to worry about the future. But it is hard with the media and all this outside distraction feeding my fears. So I must continue to do what I like to do: starve my fears and hope they die. That is a lifelong process.

My goal is to live in expectation. I like to expect some good "and suddenlys" in my life. And suddenly, something great happen to LadyLee. And suddenly something good happen to LadyLee in the next 5 days to LadyLee. And suddenly something good happen to LadyLee in the next 5 minutes.

And for me that could mean winning the lotto. Or it could mean making it through the day, and living to see one more day. It could mean getting 5 out of 10 things done on my "to-do" list for today. It could mean even mean the involuntary sneeze I may have in the next 5 minutes, where my body is trying to get rid of something that is not suppose to be there.

It's important to be thankful for the day... because we don't know what will happen tomorrow. We don't even know what will happen in the next 5 minutes. Let's hope and pray it's good things.

That's my mini food-for-thought, the freestyle edition. *throws mike to the ground and walks off*


Songs of the Week. It's gonna rain cats and dogs and frogs today in the ATL, so I need some rainy day music.

I love some Vesta. This is a song that never got any airplay, but it was a good song.



I heard this song last night, and I'd forgotten about it. "Whatever it Takes" by Anita Baker from the Compositions CD.


That's what I like to call "Begging after a man" song. Don't act! We ALL done "begged after a man" before. I know I have. Been awhile, though. Ya'll need to kick my azz if you see me doing that at my age now, lol. I don't do the desperation thing.

And my FAVORITE rainy day song, by a Anita Baker wannabe, lol.. Milara!


She is a bit dramatic in that song. But she's 1990s sharp, standing at the window wailing about a lost love!

That's the ultimate "my man done left me and now I'm crying". Don't act! We've all cried over that breakup.

I am particularly puzzled by the line at 1:37.

Oh Lawd I can see
So many eyes on me
And I imagine what they're saying...
They say I'm a fool.
They say I'm a fool,
If I'm still in love with you.
Don't they know I'm only human?
Human.

And she sings with SUCH emotion when she sings "Don't they know I'm only human."Ha! How self-conscious we become in these situations. I never look at any stranger on the street and say "She's a fool cuz she still in love with that dude."

I like Milara, but she is WAY over the top. But that's a good song. And she is sharp while standing at the window and wailing hard. I do think that I would be standing there in my pajamas. LOL

And that's my Friday freestyles for the week. You would think I would spread this out over the week, right?

Uh.....nope.

You have a good Easter weekend.

On purpose.

3 comments:

  1. Wow me and you in sync this morning! Pretty much everything you spoke on I thought about this past week even down to root veggies. Never heard of that celestial though! I still to this cYcle think about that 5 min. Post you did. And this morning I declared that something good was going to happen to me. I've decided to start declaring that often and be more bold in not only my thoughts but prayers as well. But this time I'm actually believing I n them! Took me a long time to get there. I'm also trying to starve my fears and I've been thinking a lot about the new and in particular the things you discussed.

    Have a great weekend Ladylee...just cuz...good post as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang I jacked my comment all up typing too fast and then not proofreading..Lol..hope u understood it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:59:00 AM

    The salad looked good. I'm currently seeking new foods to try, so thanks for the share :-)

    I limit my news watching because I can't take the constant regurgitation of all things bad in the world. I watch the news at 6 and then world news @ 630 and that's it

    Love the musical shares; you know how much I love my music.

    Hope you continue to be well Dubble Ell :-D

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!