Friday, April 25, 2014

Friday Freestyles... The Wildlife Edition

Friday!

PayDay!

Which means I will be sitting here paying out some bills today. That won't take but about 5 minutes, since some 90% of my stuff is on straight automatic. Whatever did we do before online bill pay? I gasp at the thought of writing checks and licking stamps.

Gasp, I say.

I don't have much to post today. It has been an interesting week. I didn't really even have a food for the week. Wait, I made homemade tortilla chips in the oven... take a corn tortilla, cut it up in 6 pieces and bake it for a few minutes. Add some salt and spices and you got chips. Here's a recipe I used. Oh no, I didn't fry them, and I sprayed my baking pan with olive oil spray. That is as good as it gets. And they weren't bad. Just saw that on Pinterest, and I thought, that's simple enough. DO IT. LOL.

So... the most interesting thing of the week (among other things):

My sister Kentucky saw this in her apartment's weekly newsletter:


She was livid. Because she likes to walk the complex everyday.

"Well," I said, "At least they warned you. And coyotes tend to stay away from people. You just be sure you don't be out there walking a small dog or cat. I would be more worried about a pit bull running around."

She wasn't trying to hear all that.

Aww yes... the joys of living out in the suburbs. These are problems of the suburbs.

I live in the hood, downtown. And the only wildlife I have seen was a wild turkey in my neighbor's backyard back in 2006.



Hmm... we will always wonder how that turkey found his way into the hood.

My brother also had a wild turkey in his neighborhood, out in the surburbian part of College Park. I think the kids named hime "James" or something like that. Sometimes James would come out in the open, and someone would yell "There go James!!!", and they would all give chase.

They never caught James the turkey. Maybe James decided to move further out into the southern surburbs... where the ancestors of my sister's coyotes GOT HIM.

LOL...

Now, the only wildlife I have ever dealt with was the nutria rat. I saw those while living in New Orleans.


Such a lovely animal there, smiling, and showing his orange front teeth.

They look like beavers with long rat tails. There was a whole family of them living in the lake of my apartment complex. They were at least 30 pounds. If I was out feed stale bread to the birds, one would walk up on me. I never really noticed what was going on until the birds were O_o and moving slowing to the side. I would look down and see it standing there.

And I would throw it a whole slice of bread. The nutria rat will walk back through the sea of ducks. And everything would return to normal.

I don't think my sister would or should try that method. If she sees a coyote, she needs to go the other way. That won't be a problem, as she said she won't be walking anymore. Too bad because her complex is nice for walking.

Oh well...

Song of the Week. This song was the number one song 35 years ago this week. "Boogie Oogie Oogie" by Taste of Honey.



My goodness. That takes me back to my lil' 9-year-old self. That was my favorite song back then.

That and anything by Earth Wind and Fire.

It's going to a beautiful weekend in the ATL. And I have a ton of things to do. But I will be enjoying some of this good sunshine.

Yes i will.

You make sure to have a good weekend too, rain or shine... on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!