Wednesday, July 29, 2015

LadyLee's Favorites Part 1 (#23-25)

I've spent a few months trying to come up with my top 20-25 favorite songs.

It's a little harder than I'd expected it to be. And it's been fun going around the lab asking people about their favorite songs.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who draw a complete blank. Some of the responses have been wonderful, because people will tell the story behind why it's a favorite song. And I'm always amazed that our favorites are attached to a specific time, feeling, or event in life.

So I am interested in some of your favorites also. It gives me a peak into the heart of a person.

My favorite songs are over 20 years old, for the most part.  Some are tied to when I was young and didn't have a care in the world. There are songs that were "our songs", i.e., songs of when we were in love. You could probably paint a picture of my life if you knew my favorite songs. 

I said something in another post that I'd read about how you should make a CD of your favorite music and post it. Why? Because it affects you on a cellular level. Endorphins are released, and these compounds are calming and even act as pain levels. (I love reading about scientific like this. It's the nerd in me!)

I think I came up with about 25 songs. I wanted to post them ALL. In several posts over the next couple of weeks, of course. And I will post  them with the personal story, if applicable.



#25 "Love Makes No Sense" by Alexander O'Neal




This song reminds me of grad school. I started grad school some 24 years ago (has it been that long?). I always had a cassette tape on in the lab while I was working. And Alexander O'Neal was one of my favorites. I needed something while working 6 days a week, 10 hours a day. And this was good stuff!

#24 "Knee Deep" by Parliament Funkadelic



This is a good song. It came out when I was in elementary school. I loved Parliament, but you know how some of those songs were way long? This is one of them. This is the 15 minute long version. So when it comes on, I'm all hype. But after 7 minutes or so, I'm like.... Wow, will this song ever end?? 

#23 "Lady of My Life" by Michael Jackson



The Thriller album came out when I was 13 years old, I believe. We loved all the popular songs... "Billie Jean", "Beat It", "Wanna be Starting Something". We would sing these songs at the lunch table and in PE. But there was one girl that would break out singing "Lady of My Life". And we would look at her like she was crazy. She continued singing it, even in the midst of us hollering "Shut up!!"

As I got older, the song grew on me. Such a relaxing song.

5 comments:

  1. Moments in Love by the Art of Noise would be on my list of top 25 along with Living All Alone by Phyllis Hyman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes... Moments in Love. The long 15 minute version. GLORY.

      And Living All Alone is on my list too!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:51:00 AM

    Doo Doo Brown - Uncle Luke. LOL! I'm from Miami ,where booty music was created. The lyrics...smh. And we talk about today's music.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't stop! Git it, git it! I am now hearing 808 bass all in my head. My favorite group of that era was Poison Clan. Shake what ya mama gave yaaaa! LOL

      Delete
  3. So in Love - Anthony Hamilton and Jill Scott
    A couple of Forever - Chrisette Michele (I actually walk down the aisle to this song for my wedding)\
    Ledisi- Pieces of me
    Kem- Share my life

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!