Thursday, November 09, 2017

Best of October 2017 - Grandma, Transport Chairs, and Grandchildren


This is the most important piece of equipment I've bought in the last couple of years.

It is a "Transport Chair". I'd gone to a pharmacy on the southside to buy it. (LadyTee had bought one for her aunt awhile ago and let me know where to get it).  I wanted it for my grandmother, as I take her to Emory Hospital for her medical appointments from time to time. She walks super slow, yet she somehow wants to blend in with the crowd and walk just as fast. That's not good. And I thought hard  about a solution to the problem.

So I decided to buy a wheelchair. And when I walked into the pharmacy to ask about a wheelchair, they told me about the transport chair. (Just that fast I'd forgotten the name of what I needed just that quick). They put it together and showed me how to use it.

My sister cautioned me on presenting this option to grandma. "The elderly don't take well to that type of thing," she said. I said it would be easier for us both. Well, I showed her the chair, told her the plan and she was all for it.

She took to it well, and she enjoys being transported back and forth.

Just like she took to her new great-grandson Justin well. I heard from my sister that she enjoyed seeing him for the first time!


I think this is her 6th great grandchild. There are now 2 girls and 4 boys. And she has gotten to spend time with them all. (Even though Justin was knocked out during his visit).

When I took her to the doctor last week, she talked about her time with Justin. And she could hardly get her whole story out without being full of giggles.It felt so good to see the joy in her eyes and hear the joy in her voice.

Later that evening, after I'd taken her home after her appointment, I thought about our time together. I thought about how she is like a child now, and how I prayed that I would have patience in helping her get to her appointments. I did, and I was happy for it.  And I was happy to talk to her about her about her new little great-grandson.

That had to be one of my best memories from October 2017. And it's something I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!