Sunday, November 05, 2006

FREEZASMS and Silent Wonderings...

For part I, see "Car Work and Radio Days"

"...you can get up to 200 songs on one CD"

The words were like waves reverberating gently through my brain... It was as if a lone pebble had been dropped in water, and wave upon waves were rippling through my brain.

"...you can get up to 200 songs on one CD"

It was...

It was...

It was kind of like having a (((FREEZASM)))...

Brain freeze and an orgasmic something at the same moment.

(Okay, sorry about that... you know I suck when it comes to similes and metaphors... Just trying to explain how I felt at that moment, LOL! Still not sure if I have been able to get my point across.)

Man, you gotta understand how I feel about my music. I have 400 music CDs at home. I have over 150 hours of music on my laptop, and I'm still adding songs...

As my grandma would say...

Goodness gracious alive!!

Anyway, Tiny continued yacking (as usual), but I didn't hear a damn word he was saying. I just knew that he was trying to plead the case of my getting a new radio for my car... But I was still trying to grab hold of...

"...you can get up to 200 songs on one CD. You can place a CD into that CD player and never have to change it."

"Shorty," I finally said.
He stopped talking in mid-sentence. "What?"
"Dude, back up. Did you just say that I can get up to 200 songs on a CD?"
He frowned up. "Yeah, girl."
"Aaar raah... let's do this then. Let me know how much that will be, because I gots to have that!"

"Alright, you give me $300.00. I'll look around and get everything."
I nodded absentmindedly.

Now, getting hold of the three hundred dollars wasn't a big deal. I had that in the bank. I went through a little mental angst though, because I still felt that it was a frivolous purchase. I was on course to meet my savings goals well before the year was out, and was thinking about either putting extra money into another savings account, or splurging on something nice for the house.

Oh well, the decision was made... I wanted that new radio for my car!!!!!!

GLORY!!

He came over one day and showed me a photograph of the radio he was ordering for me off of eBay. It was brand new and in the box and everything.

Well, I got the money out of the bank. I placed it in an bank envelope... You know, one of those envelopes that have the words "Loose Change" printed in bold letters across the top. I reluctantly handed the envelope to him.

*LadyLee tightly gripping the envelope between her thumb and index finger while handing it to Tiny, causing a impromptu tug-of-war*

I frowned up at him, jabbed my finger into his muscular bicep. "Look here Shawty, that's a lot of money!!"

"Lee, your radio is already on the way. Stop trippin'!"


He left. I watched him walk down the street back to his house with my money.

...Silently wondered how, being that I am a chemist, I would poison his ass if he messed up my money.

...Silently wondered also why I have such insane trust issues...

Geez.

Anyway, for the next week, Tiny is out in the garage working on his car. He even takes it to get it painted. I am silently wondering to myself, and trying my best not to yell:

"Shorty, where the hell is my radio??"

Yeah, your girl has isshas.

But one afternoon, I came home from work, all happy to get out of the hot summer heat, contemplating how much writing I would get done that evening. I walked into the kitchen to get myself a glass of cold water, and there, sitting on the island in my kitchen, I see a brand new radio CD player in a nice glossy box.

My heart leapt for pure joy!

Later that evening I heard Tiny rumbling around in the garage. I ran through the laundry room and yanked open the back door leading down into the garage.

"You saw your radio, didn't you?"
"Yeah!" I yelled, visions of surround sound dancing in my head.
"Well, once I go get your speakers, I'll install it."
I smiled like Miss Celie. "YEAH!!!!"

Well, another line of convo crept up around this time.

"Lee, you want an amplifier to, you know, bring out that bass?"

*crickets*

I think he knew that I was about to go off, because he backed up.

"Look here, Shawty. I don't wanna hear all that boooooom, boom, boom, boooom, boom. I'm a girl. I ain't trying to deal with all that noise. I just want to feel like Luther is sitting next to me singing in my ear. All that bass ain't necessary."

"Well girl, don't you want to hear everything more clear, something to bring out the treble?"


He closed his eyes and starts swaying and mouthing a cymbal and snare drum kick...

tiii-tii-tiii..Tiiiiiiii-tiiii-tiiiiii-tiiiiiiiii-tii-tii-tii.

I looked at him like he had lost his damn mind.

"Tiny, you done lost your damn mind. Didn't you hear what I just said? Man, I don't care about all that. Just install my radio and keep it moving!"

"You sure? Because I can build you a nice box for the trunk that can hold your amps."

I didn't say another word. I just walked away.

I think he got the message, because we didn't have the discussion again.

Well, later that week, my brother, Kari aka "Milk and Cookies", came in the house yelling...

"Lee, me and Tiny 'bout to go get your speakers!!"

"Alright!" I yelled back, from my usual perch, the living room sofa. I continued pecking away on my laptop.

They left and came back with speakers. It was late, and I was already in bed, but my bedroom is on the main level next to garage, and I was awakened by the muffled rumble of the garage door opener. I heard them banging around out in the garage. I didn't care for the noise.

... silently wondering if I could dial 911 and tell the cops to get over here quick, because I think someone had broken into my garage.

Nah, that would be MEAN. (But you know your girl be thinking about such things!)

Around eleven in the evening, Milk and Cookies ran into my bedroom and turned on the light. It was like he was Paul Revere, charged with bringing in the news reports about the status of my car. My skittish cat Oscar-Tyrone, who was knocked out somewhere on the bed, jumped and ran and hid under the bed. I peaked out from under the covers, giving Milk and Cookies the evil eye.

"Lee, we installed your speakers!"

"That's cool, boy... Now go away, and turn that light off and shut the door."

He was a bit disappointed in my response. I don't know why he thought I was supposed to get all excited about that. Plus I was asleep at the time, and he knows that it is a definite no-no to wake me up.

I heard a Tiny yell in a deep authoritative voice:

"Yo, Where she at?"

I heard my brother mumble that I was in the bed.

"And I ain't getting up!" I yelled, just in case there was a question as to whether I was coming out of my bedroom to talk to him.

"That's alright, I'll come in there!"

Tiny comes in my room and flips on the light and holds up my old speakers, which were old, dry rotted, singed up, and falling apart. He proceeds to lecture me about allowing them to deteriorate to that degree.

I grabbed the cordless phone, which just so happened to be lying nearby...

...silently wondered to myself if I could call 911 and report these loud negroes and get away with it.

Instead, I said nothing. My silence spoke volumes.

Anyway, the next evening, Tiny decided to install the radio... Since my brother was missing in action (probably out chasing some tail), Tiny talked me into sitting out there in the garage with him while he installed it. I reluctantly grabbed my laptop and walked throught the laundry room and into the garage. I sat on the deep chest freezer indian style and tapped away on my laptop.

I heard a loud popping sound. I closed my laptop, jumped down from the freezer, and ran over to my Mazda.

"Now hold up, Tiny! You sound like you doing somthing wrong. Don't tare up my zoom-zoom, now!"
"Girl, I know what I'm doing! Calm your ass down!"


I got nervous as hell all of a sudden. "Well, um, let me just sit and watch you, just in case."

(Like I was going to correct him if he tore up something...)

I cringed and talked MUCH trash with each and every snap, crackle, and pop that came from the new speakers... He ignored me (as usual) and continued playing with the wires.

I watched (and whined) as he finally hooked it all up. (And you know he had to explain everyhing he was doing, with his talkative self.) We found an old Erykah Badu CD lying on the garage floor and stuck it into the CD Player...




Never have I heard my music sound soooooooooooooooooo good!!!

(insert a small freezasm here).

So now, your old girl has full music in her car again... And I was able to get ALL of my Luther, Anita Baker, Isley Brothers, Gladys knight, Debarge, O'Jays, Al Green, Frankie Beverly and Maze, and er'body else on one CD... 15o songs on one CD!!

(Insert another small freezasm here). LOL!

Nothing like modern technology, mayne!!!

What's next for your oldgirl? Who knows...

As long as I have my music... Who cares!!

10 comments:

  1. I knew it! I knew you couldn't resist after he told you that. LOL I'm like you missy. I have hundreds of CDs. I have them stored in my parent's attic. They were threatening to throw them out! I was all to pieces, then I thought about something. With my dad's bad back and hip, those boxes aren't going anywhere, so I don't need to worry. hehe...I'm definitely getting when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:14:00 AM

    i read your blog from time to time...i really enjoy your writing. you are a wonderful story teller, so vivid. i get the mental pictures, the sounds, the feel of the moment, all from your writing skills. i can't wait to read your first novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:37:00 AM

    Your trust issues are NOT insane. I would have had a problem letting go of that cash too.

    Glad Tiny was able to hook you up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the joy of the hookup...

    I'm glad you were trusting enough to let the Tiny man do his thing. Will this change your mind on driving to work now or will you continue to be Miss Daisy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @writerwritz...

    That's right! Goodness gracious alive!!!


    @Kayla...

    No, I could not resist!! And
    man, half of my CDs are STILL packed, but I got it all in my laptop. Go on up in that attic and get your CDs, gurl!!!


    @Anonymous...

    Don't know who you are, but thank you soooooooooo much!! Look out for mini excerpts of my manuscript coming soon:)

    @Chele...

    Thanks Chele... I thought I was, um, crazy. I was thinking of how to shank Tiny if he didn't come through on my radio!! And I think he knew that! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hassan...

    Dude! I will ALWAYS be Miss Daisy!
    That's just the Diva in me, babes!!!

    (But I will NEVER ride in Tiny's car EVER again)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:00:00 AM

    hehehe @ "how to shank Tiny"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you Lady Lee, I would haev had a hard time letting go of that envelope. I'm glad all turned out well.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Chele... yeah, I realize that I need a bit of counseling to deal with my anger issues and violent tendencies, LOL..

    @Bball Mama...

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way... I am funny about my money!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm with you on this! as long as i've got my music, the world is a perfect place!

    i enjoyed reading about your venture into the 21st century. LOL

    now i want one too...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!