Wednesday, November 15, 2006

LadyLee Retreats Part III: Adventures in Bootlegging

Okay, like I was saying...

While some of the ladies were doing their yoga thang in the living room...

And while some of the ladies were in the kitchen, preparing Saturday evenings dinner of chicken corn chowder, chicken lasagna, and vegetable lasagna...







...There was some SERIOUS bootleg going on in the back bedroom, in the bedroom that I shared with my roommate "Kee-Kee".



See, what had happened was...

Well, let me back it up a day.

When we arrived at our cabin, there was music playing on the stereo. Some pretty good old school mixes, I must say. So good that I didn't even bother pulling out my laptop or the set of mega speakers I'd brought with me. I decided to sit back and relax. Several of the ladies were, um, sippin' MUCH wine and were dancing a bit hard. That's just how good the music was.

So I started getting all kinds of questions on Saturday...

"LadyLee, that music was good last night! Were those your CDs?"

"Um, no," I replied.

"LadyLee, can I get a copy of that CD that was playing last night?"

"Um, those weren't my CDs. And I have no idea whose CDs they were," I answered.

I really didn't know whose CDs they were. I was silently wondering to myself if I could catch up with whoever brought them and rip a couple of them.

Well, I didn't think much about it. All I know is that i didn't have to take care of the music, and that was fine by me.

So on Saturday afternoon, I was off in the back bedroom relaxing, engrossed in a book. My laptop was sitting on the dresser and I was burning a few CDs that had been requested by a few of the ladies.

In walks my roommate Kee-Kee.

She starts busily fumbling through a stack of CDs in blue jewel cases. I didn't pay her much attention until she hit through there for the third time, and she started bringing people with her.

*Ladylee peering curiously over her eyeglasses at the action*

When we were alone, and she was still fumbling through those CDs, I got nosy.

"Kee-Kee, what are you doing?"

"Looking through these CDs."

"What CDs do you have?"

"Oh, my boyfriend is a DJ, and he made a few CDs."


So that's where the CDs that were playing on the CD player in our cabin's living room were coming from.

I threw my book on the bed and went over to the dresser where my laptop was charging and where she had her CDs stacked.

"What you got, girl?"

"I got a bunch of stuff. My man said 'Yo, you going to that retreat this weekend, right?' I said yeah. He said, 'I need you to push some of that product for me.'"

"Really?" I asked, my eyebrows raised in pure wonderment and awe.

Now the "product" that he was talking about was a load of bootleg CDs. I started fumbling through some of her stuff. She had it ALL: oldschool classics, juke joint music, babymaker music (you know, that old slow stuff), jazz, house.

She had it ALL!

And she was selling out, at a rate of five bucks a CD. I watched a couple of transactions. It got to a point where we didn't really know what was on what CD, so I had the laptop handy.

"LadyLee, play this CD right here so we can figure out what's on it," Kee-Kee ordered.

I did what she said.

I was a bit scared, though. I was afraid our leader Kat would come in and bust us and beat us down. But Kat was busy in the front room doing yoga.

Every time the bedroom door open, you could best believe I was catching a crook in my neck trying to see who it was.

"Yo, close that door," I whispered loudly.

Now, I don't sell my CDs. I made it known when I got there that I had all my stuff with me, so if anyone wanted CDs should just let me know, and I will see if I had anything they wanted. As a matter of fact I had arrived with two CDs worth of Run DMC's greatest hits for the Oldschool loving Viv, and a Chaka Khan compilation and Disco CD for our leader Kat.

I make CDs for fun. And I know how I am. If a sista try to come back complaining about a bootleg CD that I sold to them, I am liable to knock them upside the head (LOL!!). I've never had anyone come back and complain about a FREE CD and that's the way that I like it. If I made a mistake, fine... Throw that ish away (like I do constantly), give me a call, and I will gladly hook you up that next time I see you! No problem, er'body happy!

But you know how peeps can get. I don't ever want to have the attitude where I HAVE to go make CDs. That'll piss me off. So for me, it is something I do for fun.

Anyway Kee-Kee was making much bread.



"Girl, my man DJs, writes poetry, writes manuscripts, and details cars. I gotta push this product. This is our date money!"

Heck he do all that? I don't blame her. I would be pushing the product too!

"Yo girl," I asked, while looking through some of her CDs. "You gonna hook me up, right? You got me, right?"

She nodded.

I was a CD ripping fool. I ripped from her and several other people that weekend. I added approximately 300 songs to my playlist.

When the Oldgirl catches a hook-up, she catches a HOOK-UP!!!

Really though!!

As you can see, we had all we needed. Kee-Kee even sipped some white wine, white Zinfadel, whatever was in the wine glass, during this process. I brought about 80 blank CDs with me, a half a box of CD sleeves. I think I ended up making about 30 CDs total for the ladies. I even ended up burning a couple extra for Kee-Kee when she ran out of the more popular bootlegs.


The most popular CD that I made that weekend was one that I made for the Supa STAR. She was talking about needing something to help her get her freak on or something. Anyway, on Saturday night she came up with her own custom CD, and I made it for her. (We argued a lot over this... Much of it was me yelling "STAR, could you act like you got some sense and please write the right title and artist down for me!? Damn!") A heavy card game was going on around that time (upcoming post), and more people requested it. So I think I made a total of 6 copies of this one here:

Supa STAR's Slow Grooves

Cause I Love You- Lennie Williams
Would You Mind - Earth, Wind, and Fire
Sail On - Commodores
Voyage to Atlantis - The Isley Brothers
If Only You Knew - Patti Labelle
Love, Need and Want You - Patti Labelle
Love's Train - Con Funk Shun
Fire and Desire - Rick James and Tina Marie
Reasons (Live Version) - Earth, Wind, and Fire
You are My Starship - Norman Conners
Adore - Prince
Choosey Lover - The Isley Brothers
Piece of my Love - Guy

Overall, we had much fun pushing product!

Now when I think of all the money I could have made on this trip?

Nah, I don't even want to THINK about it... LOL!



10 comments:

  1. i read this entry and was immediately hungry and hankering for some lasagna AND luther vandross songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Atlien NIKKI...

    *Nikki sitting off in the cut, chowing down on lasagna and singing...

    "Never too much, never too much, never too much, never too much, Never too MUCH!"*


    HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:36:00 PM

    TOO TOO FUNNY! KEE KEE GONNA GET U GIRL! BUT SHE WAS PUSHING THE PRODUCT WASENT SHE? LOL!..

    ReplyDelete
  4. LMAO@ladylee...you a NUT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Cateyes... Aww, Kee-Kee is straight... She forwarded this post to her man, so she is all good! And she did make that money, didn't she!!?

    @Nikki... HAAA! Knew you'd like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being an OOG, I'm just tryin' ta figure out why I ain't got none of them bootleg CDs my original card-carrying, card-granting colleague professes to love creating so much. Dang! Hook an OG up with some old school slow jams...you know, Luther, EWF, Commodores, you know, the shit!!!!!!!!

    Leave it to you to go on retreat and find some folk just like the people in your neighborhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I noticed that too.

    Good looking out for yourself on the weekend. You know you needed and deserved that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was too funny! The food was REAL good though. I'm still trying to figure out about the Blackberry wine that the ladies were drinking like Kool Aide. What's up with that? Lushes, I tell you, lushes. (LOL!)

    I'm nervously anticipating the card playing in the cabin. Now there was some serious trash talking going on! The ol' school sistahs told the youngsters to come on get this a.. whoopin'. I was like, "I guess I won't be talking any trash this go round. I saw how they whupped Supa Star and her partner. Yikes!

    Dwan Abrams
    Author of "Only True Love Waits"
    www.dwanabrams.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:20:00 AM

    ladylee, it was indeed a Pleasure to read your comments on the retreat. Glad you had a good time, so did I. I was checking out all the side action with Kee Kee too (too funny-ha)
    V

    ReplyDelete
  10. @that "OOG" Sharon...

    You know, you just like that old lady living in the neighborhood peeking out the window watching what er'body's doing!! HAAA! Look here, I am trying my best to come up with a platinum card carrying "OOG" CD. Too hard to narrow it all down to 15-16 songs... It is difficult with that OOG Chele being so eclectic in her musical tastes. But you have twisted my arm far enough. Watch out for something in the mail, you busta!!

    @Hassan... Really though.

    @Princess Bling aka Dwan Abrams... Man, I had the card playing post all together yesterday and blogger ate the WHOLE thing, so now I gotta do it over! UGGGH! I worked so HARD on it...

    yep, the Old School sistas taught you young bucks a lesson or two, didn't they!!? That was HILARIOUS!! All ya'll scattered like roaches after catching a beat down!!! HAAAAA!!

    @V... okay, I am trying to figure out who you are, V! Are you the V that lives in my hood? DANG! If not, oh well... You gotta give me more info than that, babes! Glad you stopped by my spot! And that retreat was da bomb!!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!