Friday, March 30, 2007

Celebrating LadyTee's birthday...

Okay... I haven't been around much this week.

But you know me... I've got plenty of stories to tell.

So I thought I would tell you about LadyTee's Birthday.


For some reason, I find that as LadyTee and I get older, we really like to spend our birthdays together. This was the case in our preteen and teenage years, but not so much so during our twenties. But now, as we get older, we spend the WHOLE doggone day together.

So this year we planned to do that, except there was a problem: LadyTee had to attend a funeral. She was burning MAD about it too. ("Lee, I told them, why ya'll gotta have a funeral on my birthday!! DANG!!") And the funeral was for her lil' cousin Cory's friend's brother, I think. She wanted to go pay her respects (although she don't do funerals), so the plan was to meet at my house that afternoon.

I had issues of my own. I was suppose to take the day off, but I got thrown under the bus at work, i.e., I got caught up in some pure triflement, due to trifling people, and had to work half a day. (Don't think that I didn't go off on peeps about it, though). I think I scared the crap out of my acting supervisor with my rants and raves. I had to go out back and dig up the Good Book of Cuss on her. (Ya'll negroes be tripping!! Can't a sista take a damn day off if she want to!? %^$#$!@#$%$%!!!!!!). I worked half a day and then got the heck out of dodge.

So LadyTee and I got together around 1 in the afternoon that day. She was a bit deflated about that, and I was still boiling mad about having to work. But we both calmed down after a while.

I gave her a nice birthday gift. I gave her the movie Derailed, one of my favorites, and I gave her the Fourth Season DVD collection of Quantum Leap.



Yeah, that's a weird birthday gift... but LadyTee is the Ultimate Quantum Leap fan. She jumped around my kitchen HARD for a minute when she saw that. I thought she was going to pass out or something, LOL.

But she REALLY likes Quantum Leap. I've never cared for the show. Come to think of it, we've never liked the same shows. Let's just say I've been cussed out plenty of times for calling her when Quantum Leap was on television. PLENTY of times! So I was happy to get it for her, and hopefully I can get all 5 seasons for her.

We ended up going to Up the Creek a seafood restaurant, for lunch.




Heads up, Atliens... you get a free dinner for your birthday at Up the Creek locations!

We ate HARD... Goodness gracious, talk about catching a case of the "itis"! Oh my!

We struggled out of the restaurant and went to see the Movie Pride, which starred Terrence Howard, Kimberly Elise, and Bernie Mac. It is the true story of Jim Ellis (portrayed by Terrence Howard), a swimmer who starts a swim team for troubled teens at the Philadelphia Department of Recreation(PDR). It was one of the best movies I've seen in a very long time. This was an EXCELLENT movie, a good family movie, definitely a welcome change from the norm when it comes to black movies. Go check it out if you have a chance.

LadyTee went home afterwards. But she'd been wailing about mix CDS. As much as I like making CDs, I don't make them for her because she is EXTREMELY particular about songs. So if I make a CD and it has ONE song she doesn't like on it... I have to hear her WHINE and WHINE and WHINE about it.

So we came up with a plan: I would make her Greatest hits collections (can't mess that up, you know. I made several Greatest Hits CDs for her (The Emotions, Luther, O'Jays, Earth Wind and Fire, Patti Labelle). Then I would show her how to make up her own CDs.

Well she came over on Saturday, and it took her about 4 hours to come up with 8 CDs of music that SHE likes. I took a peek at some of her saved playlists. Here's an interesting example.

LadyTee's Disco I

Dazz Dazz (Disco Jazz)- Dazz Band
Don't Look Any Further - Dennis Edwards
Don't Stop the Music - Yarbrough and Peoples
Flashlight - Parliament funkadelic
Ain't No Sunshine - Otis Redding
When a Man Loves a Woman - Otis Redding
Try a Little Tenderness - Otis Redding
The Hustle
This Christmas - Donny Hathaway
Love and Happiness - Al Green
Cutie Pie - one way
I am not my Hair - India Arie
Lady Marmalade - Labelle
One thing - Amerie
Car Wash - Rose Royce

Humph.

*LadyLee's arms crossed tightly across chest. LadyLee frowning hard*

Remember... This is supposed to be a "Disco" CD.

***crickets***

LadyTee, what's up with all the Otis Redding songs? And why do you have the Donny Hathaway Christmas song on there? How do Amerie and India.Arie figure into all this?

Yeah girl... that's a classic disco CD.

Of course, I would NEVER say any of this to her face, because she would go off on me, just like she first did when she was 13 and I was 11. She spent the night over my house, and she told me to wake her up when Solid Gold came on at 11:30. I woke her up, and she went off on me...

I cried that night...

Okay, I am getting off subject... let's just say, I treat her gingerly when it comes to certain things. (She's the same with me.) I have a feeling the CD issha is one of those things...

Yeah girl, you're quite special. You needed to make up your own CDs. I could not have gotten them made to your specifications.

Snake, my local partaker of the neighborhood wares and substances, and resident LadyLee blog Poet laureate extraordinaire stopped by. He and I were supposed to dig up a patch of land in the backyard that Saturday so that I can start up my garden (pics in a later post). I opened the front door, and for some reason, it was hot as hell outside that day. I told him to come in, because his girlfriend LadyTee was over, and I knew she wasn't stepping outside in all that heat. I threatened him real good, and told him not to steal anything and not to be casing my house.

Ladytee did the usual... "Is that you, Snake!? It's my boyfriend Snake!!!!!!"

*Snake grins, showing us all 8 of his teeth.*

I laid on the sofa, and read a book. He sat at the table with LadyTee, and they each proceeded to work hard - she on his CDs... he on a poem. I noticed that they'd gotten a bit quiet, so I took a few pics.





We made LadyTee a little mad, because we were making up so much noise. (I guess that's why the "Disco" CD was so jacked up: she couldn't concentrate.) Snake wasn't writing a new poem, he was revising the last Snake Bite: We Aim to Strive Daily. He is in some weird revision trance these days, spending time looking up new words for his poetry, etc...


(Humph. I need new material, Snake!)

Well, LadyTee and I went to the Watershed for dinner, which wasn't a good thing. (The food was great, of course, but it is so %$!#%#%! expensive). I think I spent the money I had set aside for my bills up in that place. I told my sister Kentucky that if our lights, or water, or gas gets turned off, then oh well... blame it on the Watershed.

But anything for you, LadyTee:)

And I know you'll help me if I come up short on my bills, right?

Right???

3 comments:

  1. Dammit, you are such a grand friend and sister.

    I would clone you but... That means my deal with NASA here in Houston would be null and void.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yet you still didn't mention my birthday....

    I have to come down and watch those Quantum Leaps with Lady Tee...My fellow Aries you have such good taste LOL!!!

    blahhh at you leezie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @My personal DJ, the DJ DIVA...

    Look here, shorty... I forgot. And if you notice, I haven't had any birthday tribs this year. LadyTee will be the only one, and maybe Milk and Cookies, since he hasn't had one yet...

    So keep the needle on the record, CELIE... keep spinning them turntables, and CHILL!!

    Otherwise... Nuthin' but love for ya, BOSSY DJ!!

    And I've been lurking hard on your new blog... I am SO VERY GLAD that things are going well!!

    And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    (And LadyTee ain't sharing the Quantum with NOBODY! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!