Friday, March 16, 2007

Food for thought, Part III



More from the coffers of my personal diaries...

We will return to our regular broadcasting schedule next week, LOL.

Another answer to my journal writing assignment.

One thing I wish I had that I don't have is _________________.

One thing that I wish I had that I don't have is my own family.

Yeah, we all have families, but what I meant by that is that I wish that I had my own little nuclear family... the husband, the kids and myself. No, my biological clock ain't ticking or nothing like that, and I rarely think about such things, but it was an honest answer to the question.

I was married once, and my husband wanted children. I wanted children too...

But I just didn't want any with him.

Why? Because I looked around, and I saw that I was carrying the load all by myself, paying the bills, etc. Everything was in my name. I was a lonely chick. I was coming to the point of knowing that we weren't going to stay together. I wanted to go on with my life.

And there was NO WAY I was going to bring a child into that situation. NO WAY! It didn't even cross my mind. None of that "If we had a baby, that would make our relationship better." Yeah right. I don't think like that. And he was not happy with that at all.

So yeah, I wanted kids, but just not with him. Sounds silly, but hell... he was some straight up dead weight. Plain and simple. I cringe when I think of having a kid with me right now by him. That would mean that we would have to be in contact for the child's sake.

*LadyLee trying not to hurl*

So I must be satisfied with my bro The Milk and Cookies... He thinks of me as his Ma any way, LOL.

Moving right along...

I am reading a fascinating book right now, entitled How to Write What You Want and Sell What You Write, by Skip Press. It was just staring at me from the bargain books section, and it was only 8 bucks. It's basically a book that teaches the ins and outs of professional writing. No, no, I'm not looking for formulas or anything, but you know me, I like to write, so I will read a bunch of stuff about the writing craft. Cowgirl Cre says that's the way that I am wired. She taught me several years ago how to crochet, so I went off on a tangent and read everything about crocheting, then had the NERVE to come back and try to discuss everything that I was learning (especially the technical stuff) with her, to which she just shrugged her shoulders, i.e, she really didn't give a damn. She says it's the difference between a person with a Masters degree (which she has) and a person with a Ph.D. (which I have).

I have to go and pontificate, ponder, scrape, swim the ocean blue, and dig under rocks and ish... In other words, I have to read everything on the planet about whatever my interest is at the time. Let's just say that I am reading 2 fiction novels and 4 books on writing right now.

But like I said, I find the book completely fascinating. Why? Because the author gets over into mindset and thought processes. I mean, in the first chapter, he digs deep into changing the way you think about things, i.e., getting out of that fear and procrastination mode. He deals with a person's biggest hurdle being fear...

And you know I like that type of stuff. That is good reading right there!! That's well worth the 8 bucks I paid for the book.

Anyway, I wrote down 2 very good quotes from that book. They are short, but pack quite a punch.


"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with the very first step."

That's self explanatory. The author does a great job on expanding on that concept, but I think those few words are so true. I have often gotten stuck off in a mode where I am THINKING about what I want to do, trying to work it all out in my mind, and being real slow about the actual EXECUTION step, that is, just hitting the pavement with both feet and doing the darn thing. That is something that I am working on getting better about: getting a solid plan in hand AND putting that plan into action. I have a real funky habit of sitting around looking at the big picture, when I just need to look at small parts, set small goals... and keep it moving.

Now another quote... this one had me scratching my head.

"Don't run down dead end alleys chasing wild geese that bite."

Man, that had me tripping when I first read that. But once I thought about it, it all made sense. To me, it essentially means don't get caught up in a bunch of unnecessary B.S. That can apply anywhere in life- in writing, in relationships, decisions, thoughts, and habits... whatever floats your boat.

Just don't get caught up doing a bunch of mess for no reason at all...

I am sure there is a much deeper meaning than that. But that right there is deep enough for the Oldgirl.

Okay! I posted 3 days in a row! The whole "food for thought" was fun! I've been feeling too "blah" to be funny. But those posts were was quick and fun.

I may do this again sometime soon.

You all have a FANTASTIC weekend:)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:30:00 PM

    "Don't run down dead end alleys chasing wild geese that bite."

    Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! God is funny with how he works things out for us. He sends messages through perfect strangers just so we get what he is teaching. I needed that in a huge way. Good Loking out!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!