Friday, March 02, 2007

Happy 5th Wedding Anniversary Cowgirl Cre and Timmy-Tim!!


I would like to wish two of my best friends, Timmy-Tim and Cowgirl Cre, a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

Now, I always miss their anniversary. For some reason, I keep thinking it is on March 5th but I realized that it was today when I came to work this morning and my cubicle mate, the Cowgirl Cre, was not there. She usually gets in around 6 a.m... I got in at 6:15 a.m., expecting to see her. I realized around noon...

"Oh, today must be their wedding anniversary!"

Now, like I said, both Cowgirl Cre and Timmy-Tim are two of my best friends. I see Cowgirl Cre every day at work, as we share the same cubicle area, but I only see Timmy-Tim now and then...

But how they met is funny... and yep, I, LadyLee was in the midst of that ish!!

I am sure they won't mind me giving details... especially since we STILL howl over how it all went down...

Fade to black... Harp music...

I met Timmy-Tim when I was 19 years old (17 years ago... damn that's a long time ago!), when we were both chemistry majors in an Analytical Chemistry class together in college. He was this rail-thin white boy, with the blond mullet hair style, and he always wore the black t-shirts with the heavy metal band on the front and the tour dates on the back (you remember those shirts!). We became fast friends, and studied together, etc. I was always the volatile one, whining about classes, etc... He was always the one to say, "Don't worry LadyLee, go ahead and take the class. I'll take it with you. We'll take it together. It's gonna be alright."

Yeah, he was that type of friend. Let's just say that Timmy-Tim has seen the Oldgirl through a WHOLE LOT and he knows all my bizness.

Now one thing: My undergrad chemistry department was largely made up of black students, and Timmy-Tim was one of a few whites. He always ended up hanging out with us. So imagine this white boy, sitting at the table, eating his sandwich, listening to a bunch of black women talk and trip, etc. He didn't care. He even jumped into the convos and gave his opinion.

We were so crazy about Timmy-Tim that we labeled him an "Honorary Black Woman".

LOL!!

That's just how comfortable we were with him. I knew his family, went to family functions, he knew mine... In my dissertation acknowledgements, I called him my brother. That's how close we were.

Now, I met Cowgirl Cre back in 1995 or 1996, I believe. I was in graduate school, and she was an undergraduate student. I walked into a friend's lab and Cre was sitting at a computer surfing the internet. I was munching on a sandwich of some sort. I said hello, she said hello... I spoke with a few people in the lab, and then someone yelled for a fire extinguisher... A fire had apparently broken out in a fume hood, and I got the hell on... (No, I don't stick around for lab fires and explosions. I've had a few of these. Best to get the hell out of dodge. I may blog about them someday).

Well, I didn't see Cre for a while after that. I saw her downstairs one day in a lab, and she was looking for chemical glassware. She was in a group that didn't have much money,i.e., they were always pilfering and scavenging around other labs for glassware.


Well she asked me if I had a particular piece that she needed...

"Yeah, we got that upstairs, Cre. And you can borrow it."
"Well, when are you going back upstairs Lee?"
"No time soon. But you can go on up there. This dude name Tim is up there right now. He'll help you."
She frowned at me. "Are you sure?"
"Yeah, just tell him what you need. We have a lot of glassware."
She was still uncertain.
"Girl, go on upstairs. His name is Tim and he is cool. He will help you."
She was looking worried as all get out. "Well, OK."

She went up to my lab and met Tim. She saw that he was cool. Then she would come around more often, as all the black folks hung out on our floor. Damn, I believe we saw her just about every day. And that was cool because she was a really cool and funny chick. And you know me... I like cool people.

Apparently, Timmy-Tim liked cool chicks too.

Anyway, one day, Timmy-Tim and I were sitting in the lab at our long desk-bench studying, when he leaned over and said...

"I like somebody."
I frowned up at him. "Who?"
"I'm not telling you."
I rolled my eyes at him. "Well don't be mentioning it then, if you not going to tell me!"


I was glad nevertheless. He'd just come off a nasty breakup. I thought he would NEVER get over that chick "Linda". I was glad he'd broken up with her. She was nice, but she would tag along with Tim when he'd come hang out with the black women, and we had to watch what we said around her. You could tell real quick that we were too crazy for her. And Timmy-Tim was our "honorary black woman", which means he was one of us. This "Linda" chick was much hated, to say the least. (Even though she was a sweet girl:)

Anyway, I was glad he liked someone. I couldn't figure out who. I mean, there wer a couple of white chicks running around that he would grin at.

But Timmy-Tim grinned at everybody.

Anyway, Cowgirl Cre starts tagging along on some of my and Timmy-Tim's outings. No bid deal.

Well Tim and I were walking to class or to the library or something and he confesses to me...

"LadyLee, I like Cre."

I don't know what I said. I just knew that I was shocked.

Things went on from there. Things got a bit bizarre at times. Like one day, Cre left her inkpen on our desk. Timmy-Tim snatched it after she left, and whispered...

"This is her inkpen. She wrote with this pen!"

He guarded that pen with his life. It was something of hers. It belonged to this girl that he had a crush on.

We got on the elevator one day. Timmy-Tim inhaled deeply, then exhaled, a sly smile on his face.

"Cre was on this elevator. That's her scent. I smell her.She was here!"

Bizarre. Funny, though, even though it was some borderline stalker type ish.

Anyway, he finally told her that he liked her.

She, um, didn't return his sentiments.

I remember her talking to me later about it.

"Lee, your boy said he like me."
"Is that so?" I said, even thought I already knew this.
"Yeah. And I don't date white men."
"Oh, ok," I said.

Anyway, I had to hear Timmy-Tim lament over all of this.

EVERY DAMN DAY.

Now, at the same time, he was still trying to talk to her or something. I don't quite remember, but there was some convos going on between the two of them. Which meant only one thing...

I was stuck in the middle of the whole situation.

Cowgirl Cre and I had become pretty good friends. I lived in Grant Park, about a mile from school, and we would hang out on my front porch and talk,or just yack for phone for hours. (I am pretty quiet, but Cowgirl Cre is a VERY talkative chick!)

So let's just say I knew ALL of what she thought about the situation. I knew ALL of how Timmy-Tim was feeling, too. The man was practically crying on my shoulder. I had to be real careful what I said to either one of them, not betraying either's confidence, because I knew how EACH felt. Even my boyfriend was having to hear a lot of talk (my boyfriend found it all hilarious! Plus he LIVED for that type of drama!)

And looking back? That was hard, watching what I said.

Long story short. Timmy-Tim was a lovestruck puppy. Cupid had not shot him with an arrow. Cupid had hit him upside the head with a brick or a shovel or something.

Dude had it bad.

Cre wasn't trying to hear all that. She wasn't dealing with no white boy.

Anyway, I ended up going out of town to Florida for a week for a Chemistry conference. When I got back, I ran into Cowgirl Cre. She was driving her Pulsar "PJ" (she names her cars.). I was walking to school. We had a convo, and somehow, she said something that made me think... hmmm. I asked her if something was going on with her and Timmy-Tim.

She nodded yes, very nonchanlantly.

This meant I needed to get to school and speak with Timmy-Tim, because if I knew that boy, he was running the hallways arms stretched out, blond hair blowing freely in the wind, singing "The Sound of Music".

Well, I got to school, walked into the lab... and Timmy-Tim was grinning ear to ear. I told him that I'd talked to Cowgirl Cre. He was disappointed because he wanted to talk to me first. I don't remember too many details. I DO remember him saying...

"Gurl [and he said it in that sister-girl way, as he was our honorary black chick], I wanted to do the Toyota Jump after I kissed her."

He proceeded to do the Toyota jump and let out a loud yell.

*LadyLee jumping back out of fright.*

Wasn't expecting all that... Let's just say that dude was very happy!

Well they dated for a few years.Now, I had to hear ALL the details about this relationship from both sides. One of the most memorable convos, which went on for awhile, was about a damn Anita Baker Body and Soul CD that I had loaned to Tim. Let's just say something happened during this um, romantic CD.

I had to hear about all the "love". ESPECIALLY from Timmy-Tim, since we work side-by-side in the lab. (I won't um, afford the details.)

"LadyLee, blah, blah, blah!" Tim details, grinning ear to ear. " But you can have the Anita Baker CD back if you want it. Whoo Girl, that's a GOOD CD! Oh my!"

*LadyLee shaking head vigorously and holding hands up in surrender* "Hell nawl, you keep it. It seems to hold special memories. I'll just go get another one."


I had to hear about all the fights.

Now I explained to the hot-tempered Timmy-Tim that um, you gotta treat black women gingerly. I don't know, but I was familiar with a couple of his past relationships and how he liked to argue about stuff, etc."

Like I said, I had to hear about the fights!

Cowgirl Cre: "Girl, you need to talk to your boy!! He trippin'."

On some other occasion... Cowgirl Cre: "Girl, you need to get your boy. I had to cuss your boy out!"

(Humph! Never quite understood why he was "my boy" or why I had to go talk to "my boy" when there was a problem.)

As usual, I'd see Timmy Tim in lab or in class. "Lee, I tell ya, we argued. She made me cry."

Goodness. Cowgirl Cre was a hood chick. I warned him about that. I mean, we had some LONG talks about that, because Cre was from somewhere off Cleveland avenue, deep in the hood, and she didn't take any sh** off peeps!

My boyfriend at the time found it all to be hilarious, to say the least!

That's what he get, LOL!!

But they stuck it out, through all the ups and downs, through thick and thin.

They got married on March 2, 2002, some six years later. It was a rainy rainy day. It was a beautiful wedding. I remember getting all choked up when I'd gone down in the basement of the facility where Timmy-Tim was hanging out, sitting there, waiting in his tuxedo. (Wedding was running late. Cre was taking her time... you know how we are). We took pics and talked. The wedding finally started. I believe they went to the Carribean for the honeymoon.

Anyway, I am no longer in the midst of stuff, where one of them is lamenting in one of my ears and the other is crying out in the other. (Although this does happen, but on very rare occasions.)

And Cre and Timmy-Tim, looking back... that ish stressed me out! Thank goodness we ain't going through that anymore, LOL!!

But I just wanted to wish the two of you a Happy Anniversary... Cowgirl Cre and I were looking over the menus of the restaurants that Timmy-Tim were going to take her to for their restaurants...

Do your homegirl a favor and hook this Oldgirl up with a to-go box.

LOL!!!

(But on the real... bring me some crabcakes!!)

Happy 5th anniversary!!

And many many more!!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02:00 PM

    Thanks Ladylee!!! You brought back all kinds of memories!!! That was a crazy time but fun time. Remember that day your chipped your tooth in the back seat of Tim's car??? LOL!!!

    Tim did it up today though!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Cowgirl Cre...

    *crickets... followed by long silence*

    Humph. You know, you just had to go and bring up the "chipped tooth" incident. Me knocking my mouth against the backseat when Tim tried to pretend he was in the Matrix or something and make a left turn at a zillion miles an hour. I think about this everytime I get in a car with Timmy-Tim... which explains why I RARELY ride with him ANYWHERE. He does drive slower now in his old age. But um, that sh** was NOT funny!!! And I know ya'll over there laughing HARD right now about it!

    Thanks for the reminder, you busta. Cowgirl...I'ma get you back for that.

    *LadyLee contemplating jumping out of the bushes and yanking Cowgirl Cre off of Felix (her horse)*

    Yeah. Watch your back, Cowgirl CRE. Watch out...

    And I'm glad you had a nice time last night:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwee. That was sweet. It was great to finally meet the lady behind the blog!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Serenity23...

    It was nice to finally meet you too, gal!! I got a short post coming up on our quick get-together sometime this week:)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!