Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Tayari Jones is Coming to Town!

Yo, I'd like to dedicate this post to that hater my book club sista/book club president Shunda, 'cause she thinks I jock Tayari so hard!

Yeah Shorty, I do... so get over it!!

*LadyLee brandishing a homemade shank in one hand and with the other hand throws up the hard Celie crooked 2 fanger point at Shunda*

Watch out now, Shunda. Don't make me have to cut you.



I would be remiss...

If I don't jump up and scream and shout that...

Miss Celie is coming to town!!!



Miss CelieTayari Jones is coming to town!




Tayari Jones is coming to town!



*LadyLee doing the happy dance so hard that she slips and falls down on the hard concrete*


Yes, I am a happy black child today!

Yeah, ya'll should know that Tayari Jones is my favorite author in the entire universe.

If you didn't know, go read my first post on Ms. Jones.

Now you know!

And here are the essential details...

Wednesday, February 28, 7pm-- Atlanta, Georgia
Margaret Mitchell House
Crossing The Line: A Conversation with Tayari Jones and Lee Smith
Reception at 6pm, Conversation at 7pm, Booksigning at 8pm

Saturday, March 3, 8:30 pm-- Atlanta, Georgia
AWP Conference
Reading and Signing (with Kaye Gibbons)

Now, the Margaret Mitchell crew likes to charge money for entrance into their events. I try to keep tabs on who is there, since it is only one block from my job. I saw Ernest J. Gaines, the author of A Lesson Before Dying there, last year. My coworkers have gone to see Alice Walker, Blair Underwood, and Tavis Smiley when they were there.

Yeah, they charge a fee, and the talks are always good. But's what's up with this conversation set-up? What the heck are they going to talk about? Listen, for my ten bucks, I want to see a show. Tayari and Ms. Smith better get an electric slide or a Soul Train line going. They better be passing out some tequila shots, hot wings and french fries up in that camp.

Ten bucks, man... come on, now. That's night club prices. That's half a tank of gas for my zoom-zoom. (Well almost half a tank.)

But I have been BEGGING Tayari over email to waive that fee and allow me to be a part of her entourage. I would gladly carry her purse, fetch a little water if she is parched, or even turn pages as she reads. Just waive the 10 dollar fee, man. Sneak me in the back door or something (She says I am on a list. We'll see about that... Don't be joshing me, man... because I will front on you, and you don't want that!! LOL!)

Now what's highly important is that AWP conference reading. She is suppose to read from her novel-in-progress. I have been lobbying HARD for the first 100 pages of it, and she is turning her nose up at me. (Humph. You Diva!) I have seen a very small snippet of it which was EXTREMELY thought-provoking, as to be expected. My praises of it DID NOT get me the requested 100 pages.

HUMPH!!

Oh well. I am just happy that she will be here. I will just have to buy the book the minute it comes out.

Now my brother, Milk and Cookies, Tayari's #1 Groupie, was suppose to drive up from his military base to attend the Saturday reading. He was going to do some old wild craziness, like act like Eva at the Apollo, or cry and scream uncontrollably as she walked by. Enough so people would say...

"Look at that poor hysterical child... He almost passed out when she walked by! What book has that boy been reading? I want that book!"

But the boy couldn't get away. He has to work his second job, and I hate for him to lose his job. ("Tell Tayari I need to make my money, Lee!!" he screeched over the phone.) Yes, he wailed VERY hard to me about this over the phone yesterday, as he'd been planning to drive up.


(Dude calm down! It's gonna be alright in the by-and-by! Geez.)

So I may or may not post about the readings. We'll see!

I'm just happy she is coming to town. She ALWAYS gives a good talk, and it's always like being in a quick writing workshop:

I always learn something new!!

7 comments:

  1. Lee,
    I will try and be there on Sat. Call me and let me know what time you are planning to leave. Perhaps I will meet u there.
    NurseCook

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ the GOOD NURSE...

    Good Nurse, I gotta figure out where to park and stuff... I REALLY don't want to fool with the MARTA trains, but I may have to. I will call you on Saturday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww you going to have a lot of fun, enjoy for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in the middle of reading Leaving Atlanta.... I can see why she is your fav....hope you enjoy yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladylee! You put The Heavies on the blog! I am so touched!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ follow my ink...

    wish you could be there! She always does an excellent job. I go to some other author readings and signings and have to hold back the urge to scream "Yo step up your game!"

    Tayari knows how to pimp her sh**!

    @deepnthought...

    Good. You are reading some Tayari Jones. Go over to her blog and look up her short stories "Have you known me lately" and "Some Thing Blue". They will blow you away.

    And don't forget to go get
    "The Untelling". She has a crackhead running around in there. This is a good thing, because you know how I feel about my favorite crackhead and official LadyLee blog poet laureate Snake.

    @Tayari...

    Celie? Is that you?

    Where are you? Are you still on the plane? You can check the internet from the plane? Wow. Technology is a mutha!!

    Yeah, you listen to that Brand New Heavies song, you GROUPIE. Bet you searching for the next Greyhound bus to get whereever they are right now.

    Yeah, that's the only BNH song that I know. Listen quick, because it will be gone tomorrow!!
    HUMPH.

    And be sure to do a good job tonight. And remember... for my 10 bucks, I expect a hot ass electric slide and a plate of catfish or something like that. I need a door prize or something, too!! Don't play!!

    Really though.

    Ya'll better make it do what it do with this "Conversation" craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really wish I could haev heard Tayari speak when she was at Mills College in January. But the daughter and I were on the road south of there visting other colleges.

    Maybe I can catch her next time she's in SoCal. By the way, I loved "leaving.." but "untelling" was really, really good.
    I'll have to check out those short stories.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!