Thursday, June 05, 2008

I got worms, Man!

For that Botanical Chick Carleen's amusement, because I think she'd give a *blank stare* and get a kick out of this, lol.

Somethin's nibblin' on my cabbages!
I said. . . Something's eating my cabbages!!!!!!

I have two cabbage plants out in the garden, and something is taring them up! Most likely, it's cabbage worms!

I got worms, Man!

*LadyLee faints out in the afternoon sun*

No, I didn't faint. But I did laugh.

It all reminded me of my group secretary Dee's gardening dilemma.


Dee likes to grow collard greens in her garden every year.

It's always a joy to hear her exclaim with such fervor and glee...

"Dr. LadyLee, I got some collards growing out there in the garden!"

"Chile, they are delicious. Picked 'em just before that first frost. They were so good."

So, a few years ago she came over and sat in the cubicle area. She comes over and sits and chit-chats with us from time to time.

I asked her about her beloved collard greens.

"Dee, how them greens growing this year?"
She got all quiet. Her eyes got big. "I guess they alright," she said, her voice quiet.
"What's wrong?" I asked. "You having problems with them?"
"Chile, the bugs was getting all in them. Eating up my good greens!"
"That ain't good, Dee."
She got all quiet again. Eyes got all big again. "I sprayed some spray on them, Dr. LadyLee."

I guess I could see why she was worried. Many folks like their garden to be organic, with no pesticides.

"That's alright, Dee. Gotta get rid of the bugs, you know."
"Chile, I sprayed some Hot shot on them greens."

Now, there were several of us milling around, but when she mentioned the Hot Shot Bug spray?

All conversation stopped. Then picked back up after our silence.

"WHAT?" I said. I just knew that I didn't just hear her talk about spraying "Hot Shot" bug spray on the greens.
"I said I sprayed some Hot Shot on the greens!"
"Are you serious?" I barked. "You can't do that!"
"Chile, them bugs was eating up my greens."
We just stared at each other for a moment.

"Well?" I asked.
"Well what, Dr. LadyLee?"
"Well, did it work?"
"No. Them bugs still eating up my collards!"

I just shook my head.

"Dee, make sure you wash the greens off real good before you cook them."
"Oh, I didn't cook any. I gave some to my sister, though."
"WHAT??"
"Sure did," she said."Did you tell her that you sprayed roach spray on the greens?"
She shook her head hard. "Chile, no! I just gave them to her. I was hoping that she would be alright."

*huge crickets*

"DANG, DEE!!" I yelled. "What if she get sick?!?!?"
"Oh, she cooked them already. She said they were good. And she seem to be alright."

Roach spray on collard greens to kill bugs.

I. have. heard. it. ALL, Man!!!

I told her to go get some Sevin-Dust and sprinkle it on the plants. That kills the critters. I'm going to have to get a little of my own to deal with this cabbage issha.

But we still talk about that to this very day.

"You a fool, Dee!" I always yell. "Frickin' bug spray on the greens!"

"Chile, I was trying to get rid of them bugs!"

That reminds me:

I have some flying insect spray beneath the kitchen sink.

I wonder. . . Oh, I wonder if that will do until I make it to Home Depot??

LOL!!

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50:00 PM

    Yep something is eating on your cabbage.

    **DEAD** At your Dee using roach spray. The thought of getting rid of those bugs took over her mind she wasn't thinking straight. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That was funny but I guess she wanted to do whatever she thought would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOKAAAAYYYY!!! Raid Max would have at least killed the damn things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, hey, hey LL! Watch where you spray that thing okay Shaft?

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started my plant garden of flowering plants this spring it is was all good until 4 to 6 weeks later when I noticed a problem. Then, I purchased feeding fertilizer mixed with disease control. Didn't work! I had to replace a few plants and start again. Gardening is big money!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Oldgirl, you been tagged! You know where to find me after midnight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I'm scared of her, but you know...no telling what kind of mess they spray on our mass-produced food. Thank God folks wash greens so much!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!