Tuesday, June 01, 2010

95 Percent... What a Number!

Good Tuesday morning.

It's JUNE!!!!!

Not sure why I'm excited about that. Maybe just trying to sound excited.

I had a great Memorial Day weekend. So great that I called in and called off from work today.

I can see my boss throwing her phone up against the wall. lol

Oh well, she'll be alright. I have an ungodly amount of sick leave and vacation leave. An Oldgirl got stuff to do today.

The year is approximately 42% over. And I'm starting to think more about my goals, what I've done for the year, and where I want to go from here.

And one most interesting thing has gone down: As of yesterday, I've completed a year of transitioning to vegetarian.

MAN, I've learned some stuff this year. GEE WHIZ.

lol

I planned on having a Vegetarian week here on blog. But I'm ditching that idea, because that means that I'll have to write several posts over a week's time. I'm not gonna do that. I'm gonna spread it out over the month, or even beyond, because I want to write about other things too. I got a lot of stuff going on right now (for some reason, I think I'm about to be forced into some 12 hour work days when it comes to this BS going on in the news right now), and I don't want to force myself into a box.

So in a nutshell, I reduced my intake by around 95%. I was shocked by that number. No I wasn't consistent, but looking at that number, it seems to show that some consistency was in place.

(I have consistency problems. Interestingly, the sermon on Sunday was concerning the mysteries of consistency. That's a whole nother food for thought animal that we DO NOT want to get into. LAWD HAVE MERCY!)

95% is an exceptional number. I pat myself on the back for that one.

And I will NOT concentrate on the 5% where I lost my flippin mind.

NOPE.

Ain't my fault that I went on vacations. And on holidays, I eat whatever.

And it was that one time that I was at my Auntie's house, and she put that nice fried chicken wing on my plate.

I ate that ish. And it was good. Almost ate the bones. My auntie can cook. It would be wrong for me to disrespect my elders.

LOL!

And I did other little dumb stuff. All I know, PMS tends to be a strange time for the Oldgirl.

But 95%. What a wonderful number.

Here's the deal. And here's the reason I wrote the stronghold posts last week.

I don't want this to be a will power thing... where I have to constantly think about it.

"Okay, okay, okay, let's make a menu plan, let's work HARD to stick to it, blah, blah, blah."

NO!! HELL NO!

(Excuse my yelling.)

Oh, don't get me wrong. I do these things. Serenity has grabbed me by the back of my neck and has forced me into it. (I know she just read that and hollered "What???") No, on the real, it was something I asked her assistance with, as a bootleg accountabilty partner (I can't stand that type of thing for some reason), and you know how that Serenity is: a chicken with a sharp beak pecking at my foot about such matters.

Let's just say, when I get to work every morning, I send her an email of what my meal plan for the day is. I even tend to do this on twitter. Shoot man, I think I even tried to send an email and she wasn't even at work that day. (Ended up just sending it to myself).

Yes, the habits are fundamental and totally necessary. Accountability, all of that. ALL of them. TOTALLY necessary.

The problem is, I want to go higher.

I am looking for that place, where it goes from being something up in my head, to somethng that drops down in my spirit and becomes a part of my heart.

Becoming automatic.

Without a second thought.

No falling off wagons. None of that. Just automatic.

A stronghold that won't be broken down.

THAT'S the place I'm looking for with this thing.

Will I get there? Most likely I will.

Because when I eat meat now, it's like, uh... where's my broccoli?

LOL

Broccoli... I crave it like a crackhead craves crack. LOL

I did pretty well, considering I'm alone in this. There's no vegetarian support system. Not like with the natural hair thing, and the workout thing going on around blogland. Nope. It's a ghost town.

And that's cool.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am EXTREMELY solitary.

And I know more today, than I did 365 days ago. MUCH more.

And my little year trial period (Yep, it was a trial period, you didn't know that?) is over.

I think I'll just stay this way.

And keep going.

And keep growing.

And working on jumping past that good number, that 95%.

7 comments:

  1. This is great Leezie! I'm glad I could bother you on days when you might have not wanted to think about your meals. This is how I want my workout to become. Second nature and not "GD I don't want to see the gym today." Glad I can offer support and 95% is a great number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Pass the broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great JOB! Old Gal 95% is good! It is so uncanny some of our similarities...that "flying solo" thing is me to the hilt...I love me some people --but I love being with me, myself and I more :) -and to think that I met ya in an book club with all women to boot! (It was a phase, a chapter an "I needed" that moment --it came and went--might come 'round again :)) -- I'm on a journey to...lifestyle change that causes me to 'er plan meals --Yuck! --I'm at it for over four weeks now --its working...my overall health needs it to work--so I'm sticking with it 95% of the time :) LOL!.

    Great JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! 95% is success all day, every day!

    I know someone here in Dallas that is apart of the Black vegitarian Society...maybe they have one in Atl, if you need that extra support or like-mindedness. Although, it sounds like you have it all under control :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 95% is awesome chick! I wish I could get there. It's a slow moving process for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @all... thanks all! I have far far to go, though.

    @Miss Not so Anon... I wonder if there is a black vegetarian crew in the ATL? Hmm... most stuff I see is peeps who are all PETA and animal rights... I don't care for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:26:00 AM

    There is something to be said for reaching 95%.

    How about, YOU GOT IT DONE!

    "A goal without a plan is just a wish." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery, French writer (1900 - 1944)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!