Thursday, May 27, 2010

Food for Thought: Strongholds, Part II

Now, the notes I posted up in Part I... I found those very interesting.

Why? Because I always associate the word "strongholds" with the negative things like addictions, and negative attitudes.

But it is so much more than that. We all have strongholds, things and attitudes we hold strongly to.

Now ultimately, our stronghold should be God's Word. And for those who are of other religions, I do believe there is some referene text you use. I think you see this a bit more strongly in those religions, like Buddism and Islam. They constantly quote their books. Heck, I've heard of people who memorize the WHOLE Qu'ran.

(Memorizing the whole Bible. Can you imagine?)

Jennifer and The Good Nurse quoted a couple of scripture in the comments of the last post concerning God being one's stronghold, one's fortress.

That makes sense. You see in the book of John that God and His Word are synonymous. So yep, God should be the stronghold, the well-fortified fortress.

Let's look at that Blogger Chele, for example. I don't think she minds me using her as an example. She has had this fear issue for years. She decided she was gonna tackle that thing. I know, from reading posts, that a large part of that was finding out what the Word of God said on the subject matter. She grabbed a hold of those scriptures and rolled with it. And as a consequence, she has seen some changes in her life.

She chose to hold more strongly to what God said about her fear, and not the fear itself.

(Am I right about that Chele? Well, that's what I got of it, man! And I am MORE than happy to witness your continuing journey to a fearless life.)

I feel very rich when I can be a spectator in such matters. Very rich. Because I learn much. I'm learning from her much about the taring down of strongholds. And the buliding of new ones.

But in that sermon, I saw another dimension of the stronghold phenomena. Things have to not only change in your mind, but in the spirit of your mind, i.e., things have to change in the subconscious part of the mind.

This is simple to see. Take the usual weight loss journey. Man, you start out all good, eating well, working out. Then you mess up. Fall off the schedule.

Then you're back where you started. Gained the weight back... plus a few pounds.

Sigh. Happens all the time.

Here's a REAL simple example (a bit too simple, really, lol).

I have several computer passwords on my job, and I am prompted to change them every 45 to 90 days, I believe. To make life easier, a pop up box comes up around 14 days before the change is necessary, and if I want to go ahead on and change it now.

So, I go ahead and change them. But here's the problem: when I log on again the next day, I still type in the old password. As a matter of fact, it takes me several days before I can sit down at that computer and actually type in the right password. I mess up that first time, then I think for a second, then type in the right one. If I mess up 3 times, I gotta call somebody up in DC in headquarters to unlock my computer (that's a real drag, man!)

So what's happening there? It's simply a type of stronghold. Yeah, yeah, it's stupid, not all that serious, but I tell you...

You who do not have to change passwords, and have had those same passwords for a few years. I'm willing to bet that you sit down and log in and don't think twice about the password. It's automatic to type it in.

I wonder to myself this one thing: Why can't I be this way with eveything in life?

You know, like when I need to change for the better?

Because with more serious things, there's a tendency to faint, cave in, and quit.

Like the weight loss journey. They say 95% of the people who lose the weight can't maintain the weight loss. They gain the weight back and then some.

I can see now that the reason for that is that the new attitudes and habits people have embraced to affect the succesful weight loss were done out of sheer will power. And apparently that ain't enough.

The whole process was worked out in their mind, and the process never found firm footing or anchor in the spirit of the mind, deep down in the subconscious.

Interesting.

Another example: and I know ER'BODY can relate to this one, especially people who are my age, i.e, 40ish.

Why come I know the words to EVERY popular Earth, Wind, and Fire Song?

What the world is that all about?

LOL!! (I know that made a couple of people laugh, cuz you know what I mean!)

I mean I know EVERY word. I even know the rise and falls and inflections of Philip Bailey's voice. I know when the horn section gonna kick in. I know it all!

Yet, I had problems working out that math problem or that chemical equation. Had issues with the answers on history tests. Hmm...

Something gets down in your spirit, well, it's there. It becomes a stronghold, whether good or bad. It is THERE.

And things can start to happen.

This makes the following scriptures of great importance in the context of this post.

Proverbs 4:23 (AMP) Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life.

Proverbs 4:23 (CEV) Carefully guard your thoughts, because they are the source of true life.

I understand now, yeah, I better be careful what's getting in, because it may eventually become a stronghold.

You know there is some truth to this. If you don't know, the advertisers know. They spend millions of dollars bombarding us with what they want us to think and desire. Subliminally or just outright. And it works every time.

So now, I understand something about the nature of strongholds. I can consider the "why" behind why I do what I do.

I felt okay walking out of that thanksgiving eve service. I learned a little something new.

It made me think of my transition to vegetarianism a little differently.

Yeah, I've eaten meat over the past year. I don't consider that falling off the wagon. I didn't have no wide ranging plan to do anything terribly strict. Just to get away from meat.

I reduced my meat, fish and poultry intake by some 95%. Would've been by more if it wasn't for my luxurious all inclusive vacations, lol.

But I think that's pretty doggone good. Not perfect.

I'm not going to get into my thoughts on that right now, as I have a vegetarian week coming up. But I understood something.

Things take time to take root and change. Yeah, I can make a concerted effort to change, but for that change to occur deep down, past my will power efforts and all, it takes time.

So yes, I'm much better off than I was a year ago concerning this vegetarian things.

But I tell you what, a lot had to go on in my mind. I had to do a lot of thinking and reading and learning. I had to spend time doing what I was thinking and reading and learning.

I'm having to allow this thing to become a stronghold. That meant first taring down other strongholds that have been reinforced and protected for decades.

And yes that takes time.

I understand that now.

And thank goodness I do.

I am beginning to think of it like changing that password. The old password is stuck in my head, but I can't make progress until the new password is typed in. Gotta capture those old passwords and replace them with new ones.

Spiritually, I have to capture those old thoughts, which are the background of my strongholds, and replace them with new thoughts...

And if I fail?

Just keep working at it.
And working at it.
And working at it.

Don't give up.

Just keep working at it.
Chipping away at that stronghold, that well-fortified fortress.
Working at it, and working at it.

Until something takes root in my heart.
And true production takes place.

And the course of my life changes.

So those are my thoughts on the matter. I needed to write this set of food-for-thought posts for myself, so that I could come back and ponder it and chew on it. I don't even think I wrote all that I wanted to write. But that's okay. I found it to be very important and I found that it explains a lot. Not everything, but a lot. A lot that can help me now, and some time in the future.

I hope you've enjoyed it too.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome posts. I had to cut and paste it, then print it out. LOL. Sometimes I need to read on plain ole paper.

    Gurl, you did it again. My brain is like Huh, really, oh yeah, OK, Oh my, yes, and so on.

    I will be highlighting and marking on the pages I printed and journaling about it.

    I was just saying how I hate having to do password changes at work too. Plus passcodes, etc on the personal ones. I stopped my Internet service registration cause I didn't want to duplicate. I couldn't think of any. LOL. Good analogy. Got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jennifer2:00:00 PM

    do u find you can only attack one stronghold area at a time? just curious... I wonder if I should stretch myself to try and do more at once, but also wonder if I need to just ATTACK one thing and then move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jennifer... Man... I had to think about that one. I think, for me, one thing at a time. I have to get going good and attack one area, get moving in that, and then start chipping away at another area, so there is an overlap. But full steam attack on more than one area at a time leaves me frustrated.

    But that's just me. Right now, just to be cognizant of my isshas, well, that's a big step in itself. Also, what's key for me is to pray about it, and be open to the resources (people and situations), that show up to aid me in changing. I find this happening A LOT over the past 10 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! The EWF example is a great one. Because I was going to blog about how one of their songs makes me turn up the radio in the car & my foot gets heavy on the gas pedal.

    Hmm, I think I'll have to follow Shai's example & print this & the previous 2 posts out. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:40:00 AM

    "...things have to change in the subconscious part of the mind."

    I co-sign with this wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:19:00 AM

    Wow, in 2 posts you were able to explain to me more about strongholds and fasting than I've learned in my entire lifetime. I am guilty of the smoking stronghold and through the years I've quit many times. Currently I'm smoking the electronic cigs but I'm working on stopping these as well. I never really knew the true meaning behind fasting. I just knew that you did it to get closer to God but now that I've read your explanation it makes me want to fast more because my desire to rid myself of this stronghold is so intense. I'm gonna start calling you Lady Wisdom..Lol you know how to crack open skulls with the knowledge you bring. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!