Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Workplace Funnies: "Merry Christmas!"

Oh yes, oh yes...

Day 20 of the 21 day Financial Fast.

I am almost there.

Now I did my Fast at a time when life was relatively quiet. No holidays, no graduations, none of that.

Except... there was a baby shower.

And you know me. I really like making homemade gifts, making something with my hands.

I always try to crochet blankets for expectant mothers.

And here's the one I made for the mother to be.






Ain't it pretty? She picked the colors herself. I raised an eyebrow at her desired design, but it was really nice.

I'd pretty much finished making the blanket, and then I read something in my book: that during the fast, you were not allowed to go shopping for gifts and what-not. Just tell the person what you are doing, and attend if you can without a gift.

Good enough. So I went to the expectant mother, our work group secretary, and told her about all this.

She sees me coming her way , and she has that "Lawd have mercy, what do she want now!" look on her face. For she is big and pregnant, and it is tough on her for me to come bothering her about simple stuff, like being unable to track down a phone number or email address or old email instructions.

But she is a great secretary, and she obliges my requests, while giving me that hard "mama" look.

LOL

So I ran up on her.

"Yeah, Shon... look, I have the blanket together, but it's gonna be wrapped in Christmas paper."

"What?" she asked.

"Well, I'm on this 21 day financial fast, and I can't buy any nonessentials. So, I have the blanket ready, and it will be wrapped in Christmas paper."

She gave me the hard side-eye.

"Dr. Parker," she said.

"I want to stay within the rules, Shon."

She sighed. "Dr. Parker. A gift bag costs a dollar at Dollar Tree."

"This is true," I said. "But, I won't be going there."

She looked at me crazy. A look between the *mama stare* and hard *crickets stare*

I got a bit scared for a moment. But I tried to smooth it over. "Look, you're gonna throw the paper away anyway, right? It'll be alright."

I don't think she liked that idea. But she finally seemed okay with it.

I just hope she don't mess with my timesheet. That is all.

lol

Anyway, I wrapped it in some very nice Christmas paper.

My boss tied some pink crepe paper ribbon around it. It was tacky to death. LOL

The party was the bomb! There was a gang of food.



Those wings were wailing "LadyLee, eat us! We are soooo good!"

I hollered back... "Noooooo! I'm vegetarian now... you bustas!"

LOL

I wasn't around much. I had a technician in the back labs repairing equipment, and dude kept calling me for my thoughts on what he was doing. So I had to run back and forth, trying to keep an eye on him. (Almost brought him to the party! lol).

I gave the gift to our beloved secretary, and hollered a hearty "Merry Christmas!!"

She loved it.


I am glad she did.

So Shon, I am so happy for you... Here's to a safe delivery of your baby girl!

And thank you so much for allowing me to wrap your gift in Christmas wrapping paper!

9 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to the fast! That blanket is just too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blankets...homemade gifts are the best. and who needs baby paper anyway, just as good to use the christmas paper, that shit got thrown in the garbage anyway! great job on sticking to your fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer10:11:00 PM

    Merry Christmas!! LOL awesome... the blanket is beautiful! Hope you're having a great week, DB Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely blanket..did anyone else wonder why it was wrapped in xmas paper or did they think it was an inside joke

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...Only you! That was some funny stuff...I re-gift most of the gift bags that I receive --so I always have a stash...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:54:00 AM

    I do like Cyncere, I keep gift bags. I have a ton of them in my hallway closet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't gotten that fancy yet with my crocheting. I am getting there. I am making a simple baby blanket for my grandson. The yarn itself gradates from white to a sky blue. Simple double crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What color did I ask for for my next baby blanket? Cause this one is mighty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, that's sooo pretty!!!
    I love gifts made by hand. Haven't been in the mood to crochet, I wish I was though. I have some really cute yarn I'd like to work. Maybe in the fall.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!