Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Labor Day Festivities, Part II: Chopped Swine!

So... my chronicles of a Labor Day holiday spent down in the country continue.

I thought I was going to get to Cowgirl Cre's family Labor Day Shindig down in "the country" and see what I saw last year: A whole pig, roasting on the grill.



Head, hindparts, and all.


I thought I'd get a good picture of Uncle Cre posing with his beloved pig.


NERP!

Uh no...

They grilled and smoked the pig earlier that morning. Must've started it up in the middle of the night or something.

By the time we got there, only the side of the pig and his balled up foot parts was left.



Turns out, people had been chopping down the pig for some time on a table nearby.



Chopping it up with mini axes!


Cowgirl Cre's daddy, Daddy Cre, even did his part... chopping up pork with his ax.

He was too dressed up to be chopping up the swine! I would have hated for him to get swine juice on his good holiday outfit!

They were chopping up the swine... and placing it in a big pink bucket.



When the bucket was full, the chopped pork was transferred to an aluminum pan.


And then they would just keep on chopping, and filling the bowl up all over again.





Uncle Cre made up some good barbeque sauce.


"I don't want to make the sauce too hot," he told the choppers. "Might fool around and mess something up."

"I'll try the sauce," I volunteered. I held out my hand. "Pour a little in my hand."He poured a little in my hand. I dipped my finger in it and tasted it. "It's good. It's not all that hot. Real good."

He looked at me for a moment. Then continued to make it hotter with whatever thick hot pepper sauce he had in his jar.

Uh, alrighty then. I didn't want any part of that.

LOL...

The chopping of the swine is and will always be amazing to me.

We DO NOT do that type of thing in the ATL... Not a SWATS type of thing, you see.

Gotta go deep in the country for such... activities.

Maybe I will get there early enough next year to catch pictures of them throwing the whole pig on the grill!

(I don't think so.)

5 comments:

  1. the kids are going insane lookign at this lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just dawned on me that last year there were a TON of kids watching them prepare the pig for the grill. NOT ONE kid said "Oh NO I cant eat Babe !" The ate that meat with glee and came back for seconds!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *logging off the internet*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG..I CANNOT!!! I literally screamed when I saw that pig on the grill! PUKE!!!!! LOL. My granma always used to cook hogs head for New Years and just walking into her kitchen and seeing a hog stare at you was just...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pig was looking right at me. Oh my. I don't even like to see fish still whole let alone a pig whole.

    I couldn't eat it.

    Plus, knowing that pig head parts was in that chopped up meat? Nah, I'll pass.

    Wow...in the Midwest, Mexicans will roast a whole pig and that will be the main dish at the festivities.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!