Wednesday, April 03, 2013

"Apartment 2C"

Elba didn’t know much about the young woman who lived next door in Apartment 2C.

She’d moved in some six months ago, mostly kept to herself. A silent neighbor was fine with Elba. The last tenants were rowdy tattoo artists who played loud rock music all hours of the night. She complained to the Super, called the police even, but nothing was done. When their lease expired, it wasn’t renewed. They simply moved away.

And then the quiet young lady moved in.

“Her name’s Danielle Acosta,” the Super said one day while he and Elba were sitting out on the front stoop of the building, enjoying cool breezes brought on by the fall weather. “She lived over in Philly for the past 5 years. I thought she was Latino or something, but the background check said she was black.”

“Really,” Elba said, hoping he would continue. She wasn’t a gossiper like him. She liked to sit back and observe closely instead.

He lit a cigar and puffed a few times to get it to burn just right. “You know, I don’t ever ask about no race or nothing. Just couldn’t tell with her. Coulda been white for all I know. Anyway, she was in Georgia before that, down in Atlanta. She’s some kind of engineer over in Center City. Wanted to move out of the city because it was too expensive.”

“Is that right?” Elba asked. “I haven’t had a chance to talk with her.”

“She’s nice,” he said, and blew nasty smelling smoke up into the air. “Pays on time. That’s all that matters to me, you know.”

The Super was the nosiest gossip in Jersey. Elba knew if he knew anything strange about Danielle, he would tell her. She and Danielle were the only two tenants on that floor and that was good enough for Elba.

Elba never went over to introduce herself. She watched from the living room window instead. She had a good view of the whole street from there.

The girl, in addition to being quiet, was very consistent. She left every morning at seven o’clock sharp and caught the seven ten bus. She’d return around six in the evening, give or take a few minutes. She always wore casual shirts and khakis and a pair of what looked to be Rockports.

“Work clothes,” Elba said to herself while watching from her window one morning. “She doesn’t have a fancy office job. Engineer. Must work with engines or something.”

Elba also noticed that Danielle would sometimes leave in the evenings. “High heels. Short skirt. She got a boyfriend,” Elba murmured to herself as she parted the sheer curtains just a tad with her fingers to get a better look at Danielle. Danielle walked across the street to the locked garage where she stored her car, an old white Nova. She wouldn’t come back home until late, or sometimes not at all until the next afternoon.

Elba met that boyfriend one day out in the stairwell leading up to her apartment floor. She was laden down with bags of grocery just purchased across the street at Walter’s Stop-n-Shop. He brushed past her in his shiny green sports jersey and baggy blue jeans, damn near knocking her over. He didn’t even say excuse me. He strutted right up to Danielle’s door and knocked on it. Danielle opened it and he poured the charm on.

“Hey baby,” he breathed. It was followed by a soft giggle from Danielle before she yanked him through the door.

Elba scrunched up her face. “Leave him alone, honey,” she murmured to herself as she fumbled with her keys at her own front door. “Mr.Bad News, that’s what he is.”

He moved in with Danielle, and every night, the boom of loud rap music grated Elba’s nerves. She knew that the quiet Danielle wasn’t responsible for such madness.

Had to be the new fella.

But Elba didn’t know how bad “Mr.Bad News” was until she was standing in the bathroom one night a few months later, brushing her hair before bed. She heard a loud noise. She backed up from the bathroom mirror and was about to go out into the living room when the boom occurred again, this time shaking her whole apartment. She jumped when she heard a loud crash in her bathroom. She ran back in to see the crystal glass that she used for soaking her bridgework on the floor, smashed into a million pieces.

Elba knew those sounds all too well. Had been the brunt of them herself over the years.

Something wasn’t being thrown around. Someone was being thrown around.

And she knew that this someone was the nice quiet unassuming young woman who lived next door in Apartment 2C.

It was about time for Elba to go over and introduce herself.



Coming soon...

Yes... there is some mess going on in apartment 2C. A hot mess indeed.

Hmm

I've posted that excerpt before. I thought I would post it again, since I had a teaser cover made for it.

I have a fabulous graphics designer. Ms.Brandi Doane... Yes sir. She takes my inch long ideas and stretches them waaaay far. Way far. I know some of the things I've asked her to do have her a bit O_o... but we work it out. And I am very satisfied with her work.

That story is a teaser for the actual novella Leaving Jersey. That is finished, but I am having a heckuva time editing it.


If you've read here for any length of time, well, you know how much I "stalker stan" my favorite author Tayari Jones, right?  

I think I stalked her so bad a few years ago that we actually have become good friends. I think she figured that she needed to keep crazy negroes close so that she can watch them. Ha Ha. She is more like a cousin now. And interestingly, she has taught me MUCH about the art of sowing seed.  She is on some ol' other level that I'm trying to reach. (And you know how much I holler about seed.)

Anyway, I was so excited about taking my first writing class back in 2007 that I called her and told her that I had wrote my first little short story, Leaving Jersey, and it was a shout out to her first acclaimed novel Leaving Jersey. She said something that made my heart catch in my throat.

"I would like to read it, if you don't mind."

"Hold on, girl," I said. "I was just telling you. You don't need to read it. I was just telling you about it."

THE HORROR. There was NO WAY I was going to let that chick read ANYTHING that I wrote. Are you serious. The horror of her eyes falling against my writing. O_o.

But I sent it to her. And she gave me some good pointers on how to improve it. She is solely responsible for my thinking out the box when it comes to twists and turns in my story. "You have to write something and jump in unexpected directions. Don't be predictable."

"Yes ma'am," I replied, my head held low in reverence.

LOL.

She even used it in one of creative writing classes. *lee sheds a multitude of tears*

I was so excited when I got the final cover for Leaving Jersey that I texted her and told her and told her about it.

"Send it to me," she texted back.

*LadyLee shocked and protesting*

She convinced me to send it to her. And she liked it.

So I am tweaking everything with my stories... Writing and rewriting. Getting it all just the way I like it. Those are e-book formatted already. I just have to get it to where I'm really internally satisfied with the story.

And I am super duper close.

So so close.

9 comments:

  1. so excited for you!can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. unityfalls12:24:00 PM

    Love the cover and story. Definitely am looking forward to you beiing satisfied and us your fans can read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh... read some of your poetry, hon. Really good, really good. Please let me post a couple. (Falling and groveling at your feet).

      Delete
  3. I am SO SO SO SO proud of and happy for you! I can't wait till they are officially released so I can purchase them for Pierre (my Kindle!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Now stop teasing and tell us tentatively when your debut book will be out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Can't wait to download your books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the story, love the cover.

    CAN NOT WAIT TO DOWNLOAD THE BOOKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:42:00 PM

    Yay! Hurry up so we can read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, I love this! Please email me the rest. I *need* to read more. Heck, let me read the rough draft. You are such a talented writer, Doc. This one drew me in with the first paragraph. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!