Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy Monday Morning!

It's Monday!

Glory!

*throws glitter*

Yeah, right. Who likes Mondays? It is the most hated day of the week. I can't say I hate it. Some folks who were alive last week didn't get to see this day. That makes it a good day automatically.

And today is TAX day! Have you done your taxes? I did mine back in February. I never owe, so I want my refund as quickly as possible. I still haven't figured out how to adjust my exemptions so that I would get a small amount back. I would like to get back enough for a tank of gas. That's it. But that's walking a really thin line.

The weather is a bit funky in the ATL. It is 60 degrees now. This is baffling because it was HOT on Saturday. Just odd.

My perfect weather: 75 degrees, 5 mph breeze... still waiting, waiting, waiting for that.

Sigh.

I am OFF today. I am usually doing cartwheels about this, but I have a doctor's appointment at 1:00 pm. I am not sure how I have an appointment in the middle of the day like that. I should've changed it. I like my appointments to be around 9 to 10 in the morning.  It's going to take me an hour to get there, so I have to leave around noon. No need to go to work before or afterwards. Chalk it up to a sick day!

I am PMSing, so I just want to stay in the bed and sleep. I would really like to be still. Can't do that today, though can I? Shoot.

My weekend. Well, it was a busy weekend. I had TWO writing workshops. TWO.

That makes me giddy.

The first was my Women of Color workshop on Friday night in Mableton. That was okay, as we only made it through one writing prompt. Somehow it turned into a crochet circle. Not sure how that happened. Maybe it was because I brought a crochet project to the workshop. I won't do that anymore. But I got one good story out of it. And that's a good thing.

The second workshop was in Dunwoody. It was a fiction workshop, about 3 hours long. That was a great way to spend an afternoon. I think what I liked best about that is that the presenter wasn't pretentious or cocky (I've been to some workshops where the person just gloats... ugh). It was simple and straightforward. I liked that the focus was finding your own style, and being comfortable with that. There were rules, but not hard and fast rules.

She talked of 20 to 50 drafts of a novel. O_O. I didn't feel so bad about spending time editing my own work, but Id don't see myself doing THAT much editing. Wow. But it would be good. The novel would be PERFECT after 20 rewrites.

After 50 drafts? Masterpiece But that would take me forever Not gonna happen.

The most interesting thing I heard is that literature has changed in the last 100 years. Back then, there wasn't any television, so people wanted words, and plenty of them. But now, in our present time, we don't want that. We are distracted with our video games, computers, social media, etc... And as a result, we don't want words, and novels have to basically play to our attention spans.

And it makes me think back to something I posted a couple of weeks ago in my post on stagnancy. We are highly distracted. And it is getting worse by the year. I think, as a result, it gets harder for us to put in the hard work to make changes in our life, as this is always a process - slow and long. We expect EVERYTHING in life to be quick and fast. That's not a good thing. So when something doesn't happen instantly, we get bent out of shape. And if you're like me, I get upset because I feel like whatever it is I need is never going to happen. When it's not the case. It might take a little time, wisdom, and hard work.

Hmm... a mini food-for-thought for your week.

Anyway, since I was out in the northern suburbs, I wanted to do a little exploring. But traffic is so BAD out there that I couldn't really do that. They have a VERY nice Whole Foods up there, and I spent an hour wandering around the store. Then I went home. That traffic had me all tuckered out.

Sunday? Sunday was a LAZY day. I don't even remember much about Sunday. I talked to my sister for at least 2 or 3 hours. I remember her saying "I'm glad we talked on the phone. I got a lot done around the house." I should've been doing that too. Cleaning up goes by faster when you are on speaker phone with someone. I managed to do laundry. And church was good on the internet. That's about it

I didn't go anywhere because it was all gloomy out. I can't take anymore of the nasty weather unless I have to. So that means stay in the house.

Quote of the Week

 "Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be." -Abraham Lincoln

That's a good quote. It makes me feel really good waking up every morning and saying "I'm going to enjoy my life today, no matter what's going on."

There is too much room to be negative. Might as well be positive. My feelings and emotions will catch up later.

Really though.

Song of the Week. Don't Let It Go To Your Head by Jean Carn



I've never heard that song. Or maybe I had when I was a kid... and just didn't pay attention.  It's a good song, though!

That's all for today. I'm going to hit up this doctor's appointment far out on the Southside. Then I am coming on home.

Have a good day- ON PURPOSE!

2 comments:

  1. Woo Ladylee you must have heard part of my conversation on electronics and how it has impacted relating and connecting between people.

    My ears perked up on this part of the post:

    "And as a result, we don't want words, and novels have to basically play to our attention spans.

    We are highly distracted. And it is getting worse by the year. I think, as a result, it gets harder for us to put in the hard work to make changes in our life, as this is always a process - slow and long. We expect EVERYTHING in life to be quick and fast. That's not a good thing. So when something doesn't happen instantly, we get bent out of shape. And if you're like me, I get upset because I feel like whatever it is I need is never going to happen. When it's not the case. It might take a little time, wisdom, and hard work."


    I have been guilty lately of being distracted at work and home. I don't focus as well. I wind up multi-tasking when it is not necessary. I don't read like I used to because my brain is shooting to other thoughts. SMH.

    I vowed to myself already to stop all that nonsense and get back to what I used to do and loved. It sucks the life out of me jumping from one thing to another. Along with other recent stressful things in my life I have not participated in living a fuller life. My brain is tired and it has affected me on other levels. So it is more down time for me from Facebook, Netflix and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good weekend!!

    I'm working on cutting out distractions. NOT easy. ugh

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!