Friday, September 12, 2014

Friday... It's Here.

I was sitting with my father one day, and it occurred to me right then and there that I didn't have any photos of him.

“Can I take a picture of you?” I asked.

He was slumped a little in his chair, but he got all excited. “Yes you can. Hand me my glasses off the shelf right there.”`

I stood up from my plastic lawn chair and grabbed a pair of sunglasses from the book shelf. I placed them in his outstretched hand.

And he allowed me to snap a photo with my camera phone.


He looks all surly. But trust me, he was not. He was happy to take that picture. He posed for that picture, sitting up straight and placing his hands comfortably in his lap.

I'm sure that he wanted to smile, but he didn't because he doesn’t have many teeth. But if he could have smiled he surely would have. He was so happy to pose for that picture.

“Make me a copy of that,” he said.

“Okay,” I said, at the time thinking that I would just have our administrative assistant print out an 8x10 color copy of the picture.

I went back to pull up that picture so I could post it today, and I forgot all about the conversation surrounding it. It made me smile.

My father passed this past Tuesday.

I received a call on Tuesday afternoon saying he was taken to the hospital. I was way out on the southside, some 40 miles away at my doctor's appointment. I decided to go home and let traffic die down before I drove out to the hospital to see him. But they called back and said he had passed. I met his family at his house and we drove over to the hospital to see what to do. They allowed us to see the body, which was hard for his family, as they hadn't cleaned him up or anything. And on Thursday, we

And I haven't been posting much because I haven't been in much of a smurfy mood, and I have been trying my best to help his family out in whatever ways I am allowed. It is awkward since I am such a stranger. But I am next of kin.

It has been odd hearing some of his familiy say "I haven't seen you since you were 4 years old. Remember me?"

It has been even odder to say "No I don't."

But it is what it is.

My goal is, as someone who is basically a "Stranger" to their family, to help as much as possible. Everyone is elderly, and I've been making myself available to do some running around if needed. I have showed myself useful, so I guess I can be trusted for the time being.

I don't know how I feel, though. I am not crying. I am not particularly sad. I am glad that he is not hurting anymore, as he would tell me how he was in pain sometimes. I am glad he no longer has to drink or smoke, as those were his vices. That in itself is painful to watch.

I am not sure when the funeral is. They are waiting for the insurance policies to clear. It's not enough to cover everything if it is, but that will be dealt with when it's time to do so. I will cover remaining amount due if allowed.

I am going to buy a dress tomorrow. And I am responsible for the food at the house after the funeral. So those are my goals for the weekend, to get all that squared away. They wanted finger food, no fancy soul food like is usually done after someone is funeralized. They asked me to write the obituary, and I have done that, and they are pleased with it.

So that's about it for my week.  This is expected, but so unexpected.

On a good note, Lucy Jr. was not totalled. She has been repaired, and I will pick her up this afternoon. My doctor appointment went well enough. I am doing okay. So there is some sunshine in the clouds.

It's been a long week.

And Friday... it's Here.

This week will be remembered as a week my father died.

Rest in peace, Milton. I know we weren't close as fathers and daughters should be. I have only seen you a handful of times in the past 40 years. But I know you loved me the best way you knew how. And I loved you.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:38:00 PM

    My sincere condolences. Loss affects everyone differently, but being able to process it in our own way is part of how we heal and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love from where we are-and I believe you loved your Father. I could hear it in your words, through your posts when you wrote about him. Thank you for posting the picture Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doc, I'm so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and the family. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer11:27:00 PM

    I'm so sorry for your loss, Lee. I pray that you and your family would feel God's peace....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your family will be in my prayers. My condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My condolences for you and your family, pray God's strength for the family.

    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Lee, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. ((big hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry, Lee. I pray your father is resting easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Condolences to you. Nice that you were able to spend some time with him and take one last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. It is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Condolences to you and family, Lee. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!