Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Before and After: My Favorite Veggie Dish

So my sister has her Thanksgiving menu together.

She is cooking a bunch of interesting stuff... pot roast, fried chicken, mash potatoes and gravy...

Then silence.

It's just the two of us. Not sure who's gonna eat all of that. I know she likes to eat for the week and freeze stuff. Not sure how one freezes fried chicken, but oh well...

"I'm bringing vegetables," I said.

We talked about that for awhile. I think I will make a nice salad. I will make a kale dish and a cabbage dish.

And she made a special request: my butternut squash, pear and cranberry dish.

That happens to be one of my favorite veggie dishes to prepare. It is simple to make. As a matter of fact, I was making it while we were talking.

Here it is before going in the oven:

Bright! Vibrant! Colorful!!

The recipe is simple enough.

4 cups of cubed butternut squash
2 cups of pears
1/2 cup of dried cranberries.
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water

Mix all that together. Place into a 400 degree oven, and cook it until it is done, up to 2 hours. 

(That is it. I suppose you can add some cinnamon and sugar and all that. I just don't like sweet sweet stuff. Trying to keep it somewhat healthy. I have also had it with garlic, but I don't particularly care for garlic).

Here it is after a couple of hours in the oven...


I cooked that color right on out of it, didn't I?

I think next time I will cook the butternut squash first. Then after an hour, I will add my pears. They seem to cook at different rates.

I may add some pecans to it.

That'll be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!