Friday, November 21, 2014

Friday Afternoon Funk (Freestyles, I Mean)

What's up to all of y'all...

I am feeling GREAT. Because it is PAYDAY!



And I can ball for a couple hours! Big Ballin' LadyLee!

Ball Ball Ball 'til we Fall Fall Fall!!!

*tosses $1000 bills high in the sky and breaks out all the bling-bling*



Ball... Until it's time to pay my bills.

I take all 100 rings off my fingers. And I put them back into the Jewelry box. 

Balling all over. Back to being that Oldgirl...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Oldgirl LadyLee.




Well well well... When I watch the news, I see how COLD it is. And it's been cold in the ATL. But alas, it's been a really nice day today in my beloved ATL... The early morning temps were middling in the 20s early this week, but the temps are hovering in the 60s right now. Thank goodness for that. And my heart goes out to you all up north with all that snow. Ugh. No snow here. And you know we get upset down here in the ATL if ONE snowflake hits the ground. We will shut the city completely down, honey. Shut it down.

Work has been QUIET. And slow. I can't say I like it like that. I resort to clock watching of the worse kind. And we can't have that. 

We are up for a rainy dreary weekend. At least it won't be snow or ice. And the temp will be in the 60s. Good enough for me.

I don't have many plans. Chores and reading. And I have a new crochet project underway. No going off to the workplace this weekend (thank goodness for that!).

A nice quiet weekend in store. Thankful for it.

My sister and I have been discussing Thanksgiving. I going to her house this year. She's making a pot roast. I will bring a couple of sides. And I will stuff a $50 dollar bill off in her purse to help her out with the grocery bill. It's just the two of us, but I know how she likes to go all out. As long as I can leave it all there, that's cool. 

Quote of the Week.  You know how much I like quotes. I heard a couple this morning on television while getting ready for work. Here's one of them.

Excuses are reasons stuffed with lies.

Oh my. It's interesting how much meaning can be stuffed tight into six short words.

I think we all make excuses. I know I I do. But I have learned to spend a little time looking at what's underneath the excuses. I've learned to try to just stop lying to myself. And that quote lets me know I'm doing the right thing.

Songs of the Week. I've been listening to some Mary J. Blige.

This song right here is the most AWESOME song ever.  "Your Child" by Mary J. Blige



I love a song that tells a good story. And that song does it for me. Yes it does.

But I've always been partial to young Mary. You know, the young 22 year old Mary.

The Mary who was dranking too much and snorting too much cocaine.

THAT Mary.

She made her best music ever... under the influence.

"Reminisce"



"What's the 411?"



And my favorites off the My Life Album... when she was still dranking too much. When she was all messed up in the head over K-Ci of Jodeci...

"I'm the Only Woman"



And "Be Happy"



Now if that don't take you back 22 years, I don't know what will.

I think I have a whole Spotify playlist on my phone with at least 40 of Mary's songs. Put that on random and hook it up to house speakers in my living room and I can get some GOOD house cleaning done. Good house cleaning.  

Mary and I are the same age. And we have done many of the same things. The only difference is that she has had to live her life out in the public eye. I haven't.

And Lord knows I've done more than my fair share of... questionable tomfoolery.

My fair share indeed.

But I have loved her development over the years. If she was still as ratchet at the age of 44 as she was at the age of 22, that would be a different story.

The lesson here is that we are ALL always under construction.

Until the very day... until the very minute we die.

And we all need to remember that... on purpose.

Welp! The holidays are upon us!  I'm working half days all week.

I told my boss... "Uh... I will git here when I git here."

As long as I work my 4 hours, honey.

She kicked the hard eyeroll. The X-tra hard eyeroll.

X-tra.

And that is alright. It is.

Ya'll have a great weekend. On purpose.

4 comments:

  1. MJB is the soundtrack of my 20s. My Life CD had me there and then some. Heck I wrote poems off that joint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're the same age, Shai. So it is definitely my soundtrack also!

      Delete
  2. WHEW!!! That took me back! All the way back to 8th grade. I used to sing these songs like I wrote them...but not really knowing about all of the emotion I was singing about. But once I had lived a little, they took on whole new meaning.

    If I don't stop back by...Happy Thanksgiving to you and Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so young... I was in college when she first came out, lol. Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

      Delete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!