Monday, January 08, 2018

Monday Morning Rambles

It is Monday.

I think this is the second Monday in 2018?

Yes it is.

So we have some 50 more Mondays to go in this year.

Then it will be the year 2019.

(Now, if that was not a mindless ramble, I don't know what is).

It is STILL cold as hell outside.  I never thought I would yearn so much, and so soon, for warm temperatures.  I am COLD. I keep turning the heat up.  And it's just not warm enough for me.

I had a pretty eventful weekend.  The most interesting thing that happened was that I was trying to go somewhere on Saturday morning and I could not find my wallet. I mean, I tore the house up looking for it, throwing stuff everywhere, and I could not find it. I'd ordered some takeout from a Thai place near my job that Friday night, and I called them up. They hadn't seen my wallet. I tore up my car looking for it. I then decided to just call and cancel and reorder all my credit cards. This only took about 30 minutes. I thought about how first thing Monday morning, I needed to go get a new drivers license. I was a bit miffed, but happy that I caught everything before someone went and had a GREAT time with my cards.

Then... I found  my wallet.

After all this, I found my wallet. It was in my coat pocket in my coat closet.

Sigh.

Why didn't I just look in there in the first place? I was happy to have it, even though the cards meant nothing.

But I was happy to have my drivers license and my Michael Kors wallet back!





GLORY!!!

I really like that wallet.



The Tired Fury of the D-List Fire.This past week was crazy.  As always, it starts in the world of politics. This tell-all book came out:
Sigh.

So Trump came out blasting with all these crazy tweets.  He was calling Steve Bannon  "Sloppy Steve"... It was just crazy.

But come on, ya'll. You know that stuff is true. Maybe not all 100% of  it, but you know it's true. Our  president is not  the sharpest tool in  the toolbox, despite tweeting that he's a "stable genius".  This whole thing has become a reality show, and a bad one at that. I am frankly tired of being emotionally drained day after day. Sometimes I want to just turn on the news for some actual news, and not the constant spiel of shenanigans and corruption that is now the presidency. This feels like a D-list mafia/mob movie, with the endless azz kissing and pledges of loyalty. It's a bad one that's on every channel. This is not a thing of genius.

I know what a genius looks like. I have a 164 IQ. I am a genius. He is not. If he is a genius, then he's a bored and unfocused one. I would have felt better if he said that.

Now you know who's a frickin' genius?

That dayum Oprah.

Oprah. Did you see her speech at the Golden Globes?

My goodness. I felt chills when I heard it. I was just happy to hear some sound and coherent words for a change. In the midst of this reality show that politics has become, I heard some greatness.
I have watched Oprah since I was in high school, and that was over 30 years ago. I have, like us all, watched her grow and evolve and expose her challenges and imperfections. I can relate to her.

People want her to run for president. If that is what she wants to do, then fine.

If there is one thing that this emotionally exhausting presidential season has taught us, it's that anyone can run for president. And win.  And if anyone could win, Oprah could.

I have said over the past few years that the most powerful man and woman in the country are both black: Oprah and Obama. And you can't uncrack that egg. You cannot unring that bell.  The dangerous and powerful thing right now is that you cannot tell a young black child right now that they can't be something in this life. They have seen a black president. And they have seen Oprah. And Oprah  alluded to something similar in her speech last night, when she talked about how as a little girl she sat on the kitchen linoleum floor of her home and saw Sidney Pointier accept the award that she accepted that night.

So who... what small child... was watching her speech last night?

We will know in a couple of decades... we will know.


And that is all that I have to say about that.

Song of the week. When I pulled into the garage last night, I heard a GREAT song. The song was so good that I turned the car off and sang along.



"Everything She Wants" by Wham. How great is that song. It brought back so many memories.  It was LadyTee's  favorite Wham song when we were in high school. She would play it over and over.

What I truly like about the song (and what I find is a rarity in songs these days), is the story it tells. It's a short story in a song, about a man frustrated with his woman and her superficial and materialistic ways. My favorite part is when he sings, in the midst of his laments, even with the news  of a baby on the way,  "My God... I don't even think that I love you!"

That's such a revelation. My goodness.

Anyway, I love that song.

Homebody.  So... I am working from home. Why?  Because the National football championship is going down tonight. Mix that with the fact that our beloved president will be there. Combine that with the fact that it is cold outside and there was a threat of freezing rain and ice this morning...

There was no need for me to go to work. I have been working on a big report and I can do that from the house.

And with the president in town, do you realize that they have to shut down BOTH sides a freeway for his motorcade to come through? And there are police snipers on bridges over that freeway?

I have been caught up in all that in the past. No thank you.

There are going to be protests of the president tonight. There is no way I would do that. I told my sister that if I HAD to protest, it would be in Newnan or Macon, cities 40 and 85 miles away from Atlanta respectively. There is NO way I will be down near the stadium tonight, around 100,000 folks and the president. They have police snipers on buildings. All it will take is one person to get rowdy  and we all shot  up. NO.

I don't care who wins the big game. I want everyone to have fun and get out of here with no terrorist attacks. That is ALL I want. And then maybe I can go to work on tomorrow or Wednesday.

With that said... I hope you all are getting back into the swing of things after the holidays. I took 2.5  weeks off, and I am still trying to find my footing. I am confident I will.

And I am confident you will too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!