Thursday, August 18, 2005

Double-Dutch Bus Madness




This morning I heard a song on the Tom Joyner Morning Show that made me laugh out loud: Double Dutch Bus by Frankie Smith and his crew. I swear, that has to be one of the most useless songs I've ever heard.

But this song came out when I was in elementary school (1981 I believe). Back then, we thought it was the best song in the world! Whenever it came on the radio, I would damn near break my neck trying to get to the radio and turn it up. I remember walking down the street with my friends, arm in arm, singing it word for word at the top of our lungs. Frankie Smith sung it on Soul Train one Saturday morning and that was all we talked about that Monday at school.

Certain lyrics of the song were um... how should I say this..."special"

"Illzay mizzou? Illzay milzay kilzay milzay pillzay mizzou!
Asama sa? A Milzay missou milzay.
Milza, milza, mizzou?
Asama sa? Milzay izzay killsou flesh.
Izza mizzou... Izza mizza baby!"

Now what the heck were Frankie and those kids saying? What language was this? For all we know, we could have been singing murder, murder, kill, kill, murder, murder (LOL)...

"Rebecca, Lolita, Veshawn and Dawn
Everytime you do the Double Dutch you really turn it on
'Bilzarbra, Mitzery, Milzetty, Kilsan,
Titzommy, Kitzerrance, Kilzommy that's my man"

What's up with some of these names? Kilzommy, Mitzery? Some of us had some ghettofabulous names back then, but this was a whole 'nother level of names. This was some ol' foreign space age craziness!

I've decided not to try and figure this song out. All I know, back then? We didn't question it. We just didn't care!

I think that I'll look at this song and accept it as something truly special...
like the bus Frankie Smith and the crew were riding on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!