I am the official music DJ of the GC lab, so this is pretty much up my alley. As you will see, I'm an oldies but goodies junkie...
I had about 40 songs, but here are my top ten picks, along with a personal thought or two...
1. Now That We've found Love...O'Jays (I've changed the lyrics of this song to "Now that we found love what is we gonna do... with it!")
2. Roxanne's Revenge... Roxanne Shante
Dumbest lyric in the song: "Like corn on the cob/You're always tryna' rob/You need to be out there lookin' for a job". How does a corn cob rob?? Hmm... Anyway, when I was 13 or 14, this was the most profound thing I'd ever heard. But now, I think it is stupid. Still funny though!
3. Do You Really Want to Hurt Me...Boy George w/Culture Club
When I was 13, me and my best friend, Lady Tee, fought over whether Boy George was male or female. (Yeah, I have to admit, we were lame as hell back then). Lady Tee won that fight. Boy George is a man. Go figure.
4. Soul Searchin' (I Wanna Know if it's Mine)...Me'Shell NdegeOcello
This song came out in 1995, when I was in graduate school and head over heels in love...oh my!. Best lyric: "Come caress my southern settin' heart/My sunrise and darkest dreams/All hostility's tamed when you kiss me..." Again---oh my!!!!!
5. The Show...Dougie Fresh and the Get Fresh Crew --It amazes me that after all these years we still know every word of this song by heart! We play this in the lab ever so often, and still, we completely lose our minds. We got so excited one day that I thought we were gonna flip all the lab equipment over!
6. Heartbreak Hotel...The Jacksons -- Maybe it's just me, but this song is like, um... some weird prequel to Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Anyway this is the earliest Jackson song that I actually like!
7. I Want to Be Free...Ohio Players-- Shoop, shoop, shoop, shoop, SHOOP...enough said..
8. Sugar Free...Juicy -- "My sugar is gone, gone away from here." A true one hit wonder. My friend Henry likes to put this song on repeat in the lab and play it over and over again. After about that fifth time, we hide the CD from him.
9. Bite It... UTFO "Our Rhymes are recited/And we are delighted/To give you permission to (crunch) BITE IT!" In highschool some twenty years ago, Lady Tee saved her lunch money and bought the 12'' LP of this song. We would play it for hours in her basement. (Yep, we were still lame...) I'd been looking for this song for awhile. My friend Henry downloaded it for me! Thanks, man!
10. Anyone Who Has a Heart...Luther Vandross -- (Saddest lyric: "You couldn't really have a heart and hurt me/Like you hurt me and be so untrue/ What am I to do?") My brother Kari doesn't know why I love this song so much. He thinks it's so sad. But I tell him yeah, it's sad...but oh so good!!
As I said before, I have no one to tag... But if you, my beloved audience, have a favorite song or two, leave a comment!!