Thursday, April 26, 2007

Food for thought, Part IV

Those who know me well know that I can't sit still for long...

Especially in situations where I have to pay close attention to what's going on. I always do two or three things at a time.

For some reason, I listen better when I do that.

I have the attention span of a flea, you see.

When my boss calls to let me know there's a meeting of some sort, I let her know that I will be there, but I must first gather my "materials".

She sighs HARD every time. Even lets out a long exasperated groan.

She knows I'm not referring to work-related "materials"... It usually means my laptop (which really pisses her off), a good book, my story idea journal, or my beloved cryptogram puzzles.

The Infamous Hen-Dog taught me how to work cryptogram puzzles a couple of years ago. These are always good puzzles because I can print out free lists from different places all over the internet.

So while my bosses think that I am sitting in a meeting taking notes at a feverish pace...

I am really working cryptograms...

I like cryptograms a lot. They keep my mind active (and make the meetings go by MUCH faster). Every once in a while, I come across a quote that stays on my mind and in my heart for a long time.

I found a good one a couple of weeks ago. Want to see it? Well here it is:



"It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more manhood [or womanhood] to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind"- Alex Harras.

First of all... who the heck is Alex Harras? Never heard of him. Maybe I solved that part of the puzzle wrong. Who knows.

Anyhow, that quote made me thing about myself and the people I choose to surround myself with. I see that in the past few years, I've changed a lot. I prefer to surround myself with people who are working on becoming better people.

I think that quote gets the real gist of the real definition of true strength, courage, and maturity.

You're not hardcore just because you can dominate people...

You're don't have it all together just because you are real good at putting on a good front for people...

Your true character shows up when no one is looking or judging. And we all have areas where we have a lot of growing up to do...

Well, at least I do.

3 comments:

  1. Sheesh! That is so good! Kinda hits you in the gut--at least it did me. You know, the more I stop and look at muself, the more I realize that ther is more work than ever to be done. People have a way of laughing at my new "Self-Help" book phase but whatever. The word mixed with the right book can make a great deal of a difference.
    I beleive acknowledging that I need work is half the battle. Some progress is better than none.

    I think i'll add that quote to my collection.

    Chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have work to do. A work-in progress is about all our necks. Moreover, to say that we’ve arrived fully is deception speaking on high volume.

    God bless you as you continue to display courage and strength in your everyday while humbly reaching for success to be a better you.

    In other words, "YOU GO GIRL!"

    My Christian blog "Pearls of wisdom...a heavenly voice."
    http://avoicetobeheard.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for visiting VOMM.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dayum LL, you put your thing down in this post luv. And I like that picture too. Seems just the image one should see after a long work week. I know I sure have a whole lot of growing up to do. I'm still not looking forward to it (wink) Have a great weekend miss...

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!