Friday, April 06, 2007

I am Thankful... Part I


Okay, this is a strange post...
A two-parter, maybe a three-parter. But it is something that has been lurking on my mind for the past three weeks or so, every since I attended a book club meeting (not my regular book club meeting).

So, I'm giving you fair warning right now...
If you're the judgemental type, or if you are easily bothered by PG and above material, then stop reading. (I do plan on keeping this as clean as possible.)

Otherwise, stick with me... I am going somewhere with this.

So I went to the book club meeting of one of my book club sistas (she belongs to two book clubs) a few weeks ago. We read a book by a local author. I had fun and all, and although I ain't that big on erotica, I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the author's presence at the meeting. I was glad I read the book, because it had a theme that seems to be the common theme of most of my writing. So that was a good thing.

But there was one question during the discussion that disturbed me terribly, so much to the point that I went home and called LadyTee and talked with her about it.

Someone asked this question, something to the effect of:

If you had a friend that was involved with a married man, what would you do?

One young lady said that she would withdraw her friendship from her friend.
*****!!!crickets!!!*****

There was this big long drawn out discussion over that. Not many people agreed with her. I know I didn't agree. I mean my friend would know how I felt about it, that I didn't approve, and we would discuss it, and keep it moving. Your choices are your choices. Period.
But I have to admit that I was a bit shocked and stuck on what she said.

I didn't say anything durning the discussion, just listened. That whole thing just shook me up a bit. I mean I was torn up inside about it. I didn't hear anything else the rest of that meeting. I was in a daze of sorts.

I was too busy, traveling back in time, thinking back.

Thinking way back.

... to my own affair with a married man.

Stick with me... I am going somewhere with this.

Now I had an affair with a married man back when I was 19, I believe. And it was one of those weird things where I had a boyfriend off in the cut somewhere too, so this was another case of me creeping around. (I was so frickin' unfaithful back then. Goodness.)

Now I wasn't completely in the wrong. I didn't go looking for dude. He ran up on me. (Funny how I tend to rationalize things, ain't it?)

LadyLee's Married Man Story

The year was 1989. I think it was early fall because it was nice out, and we had all the house windows open, enjoying the nice breezes. I was a college junior. I had a big test coming up and I was up in my bedroom sitting on my bed studying.

The doorbell rang. My mother, who happened to be in the den, answered it.

She stood at the bottom of the stairs and called up to me.

"Lisa, there's somebody at the door for you!"

I remembered looking over at my clock. It was a little after nine o' clock. I had no idea who would come over so late at night. I'd seen my boyfriend earlier, even talked to him on the phone. He didn't mention coming over or anything. I mean, he knew I had to study for my test.

Anyway, I bounded down the stairs, all frowned up, wondering who it was. My mother stood at the bottom of the steps, hands on hips in a flowered housedress, peering at me curiously with raised eyebrows. That was peculiar, because Ma was always busy. She would yell something to me and keep it moving, but this time, we watched me come down the steps, round the corner, and run down another set of steps (we had a split level house). I had no idea what that meant. Wasn't my fault someone knocked on the door that late at night.

I went to the front door and there was someone standing there that I hadn't seen in about 3 years...

It was "Rocky J".

He was standing there, in a white muscle t-shirt and a pair of blue windpants. He had on a pair of fresh white sneakers. His hands gripped the doorjamb on each side.
He was hershey-bar dark. Not really hershey dark, but the color of dark chocolate, and he had really nice full lips and a goatee.

"Hey Ladylee," he said.

His voice was deeper than I remembered.

I opened my mouth to return the greeting, but I couldn't say a word...

I just remember thinking two things:

"Damn, Rocky J done got FINE as hell!"

and...

"I'ma DO him."

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:48:00 PM

    No judgment here. I've been there too. Not one of my proudest moments.

    Please continue ...

    soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chele...

    You know... I think a lot of women have "been there" in some way or another. That's why I was taken aback by that woman's comment. Everyone has some skeletons banging around in the closet, some wierd lapse in judgement, you know? I don't know, it just floored me that someone would even CONSIDER withdrawing a friendship over mistakes like that. Goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I been ther myself. Something about the age of 19--just past 18. I call it the still wet behind the ears--stage. You know when you feel grown but don't realize you still dumb.

    And you're right--a friends choices are their own. We all have to learn our own way--it's what makes each journey different and our own. Each experience teaches us something that shapes us into US.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!