Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Kitties, gardens and such...

Poor Oscar-Tyrone...



I noticed, last week, that he didn't look well at all... He would sit on the bed and just stare at me...

He threw up on my bed, and if he wasn't so sick looking, I would've kicked him clear across the room for that. He also threw up on the rug in the kitchen. My sister Kentucky folded the rug over. (Next time, clean that ish up, Kentucky!)




I wasn't worried about the pet foo.d re.call. Oscar has been working on the same bootleg bag of food for a couple of months, so that wasn't it. I think it was a combination of my sister Kentucky giving him tuna fish juice (she gives it ALL to him instead of discarding it. Cut that ish out, Kentucky!!), and him having a few hairballs...


But he is better this week... Plus, Oscar-Tyrone hasn't been to the doctor since 1998.

He apparently knows my motto: Oscar, you betta walk it off, buddy!!

Okay, so this year I have decided to start a garden in the backyard, in this space just behind the house, in front of the tree.



I don't like the tree. Last year, when my brother Milk and Cookies and my neighbors were clearing the back yard for a new fence, he decided not to cut it down. He thought it was pretty or something (Forget you, Milk and Cookies!!)

But of course, although I am 99% tomboy, the 1% Diva in me REFUSES to get out there and dig up the ground and till the soil. Yeah, I will plant seed and pull weeds, but that is it.

But the Mayor of my hood Snake said he would do it...


For a $10.00 fee, of course.



Halfway through the process he got mad as all get out. He said I was working him too hard.

LadyLee: *standing to side watching, grinning REAL hard, and supervising* "Oh Snake, you're doing a fine job!! That looks absolutely wonderful!"

Snake: "Gurl, shut up! I'm tired as hell!"


But we (notice I said "we") finally got a nice 9' by 9' patch of land cleared and marked off.



Now, my brother and I had a garden some three or four years ago, and we planted EVERTHING - eggplant, watermelon, corn, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, summer, squash, okra, turnips, beans, carrots, swiss chard, pumpkins, herbs - EVERYTHING but the doggone kitchen sink, in a 20'x 20' garden. Half of that stuff didn't even grow right!

Never again. NEVER. I need a FULL Color Purple staff - Celie, Harpo, Mister, Miss Sophia, and dem- if I do some CRAZINESS like that again. Man, I almost had to beat my brother's ass and MAKE him get out there and tend the garden. ~sigh~

I plan on planting only beans, okra, cucumbers, and radishes. Maybe some herbs, I don't know. That's a strange mix of stuff, but I am planting only real easy veggies... stuff that I don't have to fool with too tough. I won't be planting anything that I have to strap to poles or cages, like tomato plants. Once it starts growing, it's all good. I'll just get out there and pick 'em. Enough said.

And you know, I will most definitely throw pics up on the blog...

Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. I love gardens. My last one was about 4 years ago. I planted a ton of stuff that I found easy to deal with as well, squash, tomatoes, lettuce, melons, beans--I loved it but it was too much for for 2 people--me and my SIL--to eat since the kids really don't like veggies too much and my husband doesn't eat them at all. I had fun just giving them away. I knew nothing about pikling or preserving so I just packed it up and gave it away. It was still wonderful though. You'll have a good time. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladylee, shame on you:) The wifey and I are about to begin work on a garden as well, but the fun of it all comes from getting into the dirt and handmaking that joint so that the pride factor is skyyy high! Imagine the good feeling that comes from doing that "yaself" - and then you work the help to death... lol Just provide the pics when all is said and done. We are eagerly awaiting to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman put your hands in that dirt...

    Quit playin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:55:00 PM

    I'm too scared of you, girl. Didn't you plant flowers in the front last year? I wish I had that green thumb. I'd like to have a nice yard, I just don't want to get dirty.

    By the way, $10???? I had some guys come and cut down one tree and trim back 3 others and it cost me over $300. You definitely have the hookup with Snake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ that Original Oldgirl Chele...

    Yes, and I don't want to get dirty either. And I don't have the green thumb. Frank and Hassan are such boys... They seem like they would LOVE that type of thing. The diva in me screams at the mere thought of hands in dirt. I like to supervise that work, then stand back with a waterhose later and keep things watered, etc... and take all of the credit.

    $300.00 to get the trees cut and trimmed? Goodness. It would've cost no more than $25.00 in my hood. And $10.00 was actually a luxury price for Snake to dig up the garden. LOL.

    I remember the worse case of someone paying bootleg prices to have something done was when Hen-Dog, who is my neighbor paid 30 dollars to have all the white trim of his house painted. And he didn't even have to supply the paint and ladders. And whoever did it did a VERY good job. Now that's what you call the ultimate bootleg.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!