Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Food for Thought: "Solutions"

I heard something one day last week that has burned a hole in my mind every since:

"Just by bringing up a problem, without any thought or discussion of a possible solution, makes you a complainer."

One thing I don't like is a bunch of complaining (from myself or others). I work pretty hard in catching myself, and that is more often hard to do than not. I can complain just as hard as the next guy!

But, since I heard that statement last week, I am beginning to think a bit differently.

When I find myself complaining, I've begun to immediately think:

"What's the solution to this problem?"

Then I pick up my journal (or a scrap piece of paper, lol) and start writing. I am finding that I'm focusing on what my fears are in the situation, my hurts, my anguish. (Afterall, that's what it's REALLY about, right?)

I'm not coming up with a solution every single time. I can say that when I don't, I can at least be honest with myself and find the ROOT of the issue.

. . .And I can start working on that root.

But I find that I'm becoming "solution-minded". I'm coming up with good quality plans to alleviate the problem.

And that, my friend, is a good thing.

It means I'm at least on a path...

A path leading away from the complaining, and headed fast towards the solution for my problems!

So I ask you today: Let's work on easing up on the complaining, and work harder on embracing the solution process.

7 comments:

  1. I definitely feel you on this one OG but still...

    Sometimes there is nothing like some good ole fashioned whining and complaining to get what one desires. For instance, after months and months of whining and complaining about that designation of "RETIRED" a certain OG had assigned to a certain other OG's link, one day quite unexpectedly, THIS:

    Sharon (Just Write Now! )(Back in FULL FULL Effect with the hard foot stomp and the smoking microphone in her hand) (LOL!)

    BTW, you requested more poetry from me in my comments; so go here to see my first collaborative poetic effort:

    http://journeyduets.blogspot.com/2008/02/grand-opening-diametric-integration.html

    Holla atcha gurl in the comments when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. I can't be around a bunch of complaining folks. I'm all for finding solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sharon... yeah, you complained, but it would have been different if you were complaining and not showing all your fans that you were back. Hence, if you were NOT posting regularly, you would uh... still see the "retired" tag.

    Yeah, that came out crazy, but you know what I'm saying.

    @ Chele... You know, if I'm around a bunch of complaining folks? I find myself complaining right along with them... And I can't have that, man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very true. Excellent post Ms. Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:36:00 AM

    Right On! Right On! Ladylee...I've not visited in a while -- actually if it wasn't for Ms. Shunda's Blog --with your link -- I would have not visited at all :)

    Much Love Wise Lady --I'm looking forward to re-kindling my very DEAD blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of a sermon. When we point our finger [or thoughts] towards others or circumstances, we should reflect inwardly. I've learned the only thing we have control over is ourselves. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen! Lady you gave much food for thought and I thank you! Keep it real always.

    BTW-I come via Rosemarie's blog.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!