Monday, February 04, 2008

Birthday Week Food for Thought: "Obstacles"

Count em' down, now! 3 days 'til my birthday...

Post #350

This is my birthday week...

So, in a meager attempt NOT to have such a loooooong birthday post, like my 9 page deranged manifesto of last year, I thought I would do some smaller posts and break them up over the week... I must tell you, it's nothing exciting or anything. Just things that I have found myself thinking about over the past 12 months. Things that have made me happy, made me sad... things that I've learned, things I've changed and things I can't change...

Yeah, that sums it up.

So I must say...

I think a lot about obstacles.

Kramer, my "permanent house guest", likes to jump up on the stool next to the kitchen island. He likes to watch us walk back and forth, and likes to take the occasional swipe at us as we walk by.

But I just know the little joker wants to jump up on the counter.

So, I placed a bright shiny piggy bank on the counter to deter such thoughts that may enter his little brain.

As you can see, he peers at it curiously.


Takes a chance and tries to touch it. He's very careful about it, of course.

Then he looks up at me like I'm crazy.

"Move this doggone thing LadyLee, so I can jump on the counter."

Eventually, Kramer lays down. I suppose he ponders the shiny piggy bank... that thing that's keeping him from jumping up on the counter.

He ponders a bit more...

Then he eventually turns his back on it...
After awhile, he jumped down and retired to his favorite hiding place (my closet) for one of his many naps of the day.

Thank goondness that obstacle was there. If he'd jumped on that counter, he would have gotten yelled at pretty bad. (You know how us women can get when we get MAD.)

I think a lot about obstacles...

Oh yes... we are always told that if there is an obstacle in the path to our dreams, we have to jump over it, run around it, push it out the way, use it as a stepping stone, etc...

But what about the obstacles that are there to keep us out of trouble?

I read an interesting Bible Verse some years back, a good 10 years ago. It was in the book of Psalms, in my Message bible, and for the life of me, I cannot find it. Been searching, but can't find it. (And ya'll know how looooong the book of Psalms is. Goodness gracious.)

But at any rate, I will always remember it. It was a Psalm of David praying to God, and it said something to the effect of "...God, You blocks roads to nowhere, opens roads to somewhere..."

Something like that. I remember thinking, "Hmmm... that's bizarre. Never heard anyone talk about that before."

But it's not really bizarre...

I added that to my prayers. Something to the effect of, "Lord if I'm about to be caught up in some craziness, block all that stuff up. I want NO parts of it. NONE."

I can think of little things I went through in the last year or so, that in my hearts of hearts I had no business trying to be hooked up with or be a part of, but I was trying my best to be a part of.

(I know that's vague, but you get my drift).

I mean, you know how it is, when you trying your BEST to hook up with people and stuff just don't go right. You keep missing each other, just missed a phone call here or there, something comes up, all KINDS of stuff. Usually it takes a minute for the light bulb to go off, and for me to be like...

"You know what? Maybe I'm not suppose to be in this situation. Maybe these are obstacles."

Then I find out later, after the dust settles, and the truth comes out, that I'm frickin' glad everything didn't work out.

Yes, I know that when there are obstacles that are in the way of me attaining a goal, then I must do all I can to get around said obstacles.

But I am also thankful for the obstacles that keep me out of bad situations.

And hope they show up again, right when I need them.

8 comments:

  1. This is amazing. I was just thinking about something similar yesterday. Instead of writing about it in here, I think I'll blog about it.. On another note, do you think you will share some things that have been blocked for you and you now look back on them and can see why htey were blocked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @that Original oldgirl S30...

    Shorty, I'm not putting my bizness out there in the street. This is House of LadyLee... let's keep it smurfy. LOL!

    We've talked about it in the past, mayne... and you have shared stories of your own.

    I may or may not share. Let me think about it. Either here, or on the daily thread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with ya on that sista! I am with ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like that post. I am now looking for that scripture. Sounds like something I need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...That's something to think about. I typically think of obstacles as something the enemy likes to throw in as a curve so that I give up like I have so many times in the past. But you have given me something to ponder. I'll have to get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you've got me thinking. I always view obstacles as something to overcome. Is it possible that some obstacles are there to protect us from harm??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what happened to my comment, but I left one last night between deepnthought and Chosen. Okay, I'm over it and I'll try to recreate it.

    Basically I said that this is a deep, deep thought process OG -- and you need to put MY microphone down ;) I have never considered this perspective on obstacles as I've always been the one to never say die until any obstacle in my path has been circumvented, pushed aside, or blown up! Never, ever has it occurred to me that an obstacle might have been put there for my "protection". Dayum OG, now I'ma havta slow my roll and make sure I know what the obstacle in my path truly represents.

    Thanx for the gift of a thought I've never had before...and oh, by the way, Happy 3 days before your Birthday :)

    If a second comment shows up sometime my apologies cuz I definitely left one last nite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @That Oldgirl Sharon...

    Take your microphone back... It's always smoking when you hand it to me... I get burns on my palms just holding the doggone thing...

    I am not worthy to speak into it:)

    @That Oldgirl Serenity 30. No I won't be sharing much of anything I went through. My recent stuff mostly has to do with dudes, where I KNOW before hand that I need to leave things be... but we won't get into that. LOL!!

    But I remember, about 9 years ago, I was in the N.O., in the midst of a job search, trying to get back to Georgia. There is a city some 3hours from Atlanta, that has a few chemical companies. I had been set up for phone interviews, etc., but CRAZY stuff kept happening. Was even lined up to go down there for an in person interview. STUPID stuff was happening- couldn't get in contact with people, people couldn't get in contact with me... phone tag to the tenth degree, to the point where I got ANGRY because I was trying so hard, and I kept running into roadblocks.

    No, I didn't stop applying. Just kept trying, and was all discombobulated and worn out over it all...

    Of course, didn't get the job 3 hours away from Atlanta, but got a job IN Atlanta, making much more than I would've down there...

    Here's the kicker: I was looking at the news about 3 years ago, and several of the places down where I applied were announcing MAJOR lay-offs and closings. It was enough for me to pause and go... "OOOOH!"

    Draw your own conclusions...

    @ all...

    Serenity had an excellent post titled The Process back on January 30, 2008, looking back at a home buying process she was going through...

    She said something interesting that I was thinking about back when she and I were conversating heavily back some time ago about this situation... and I remember dancing around the edges of the topic... Now that she has had a chance to look back, she sees things differently:

    "Basically, I was jumping into something that I wasn't ready for and he blocked it at each way. . . I learned long ago that anything that he blesses will be decent and in order. Anything that is out of his will and just based on what I desire is not going to be orderly.

    Again, draw your own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!