Friday, October 08, 2010

Friday Freestyles

Friday!

And to top it off, I have a THREE day weekend coming up!!

Celebrating Columbus Day!

*pulling out the grill and grilling up a whole mess of chicken and ribs*

LOL!!

Let me tell you something: A few years ago, when Ronald Reagan died, federal employees were given the day of Reagan's funeral off from work.

Don't think I didn't go over to LadyTee's house and grill out all day... while watching the funeral on TV.

Day off use to mean crank up the grill!

This week has been... interesting. Management, or the whole agency, I think, got the BRIGHT idea to restrict our worktimes. So EVERYBODY has been up in arms about this. Lots of people had 4 day workweeks for many years, and that was cut. Then you had peeps like me who worked a little over 8 hours a day, thereby earning credit time.

That was cut.

Although you can send an email requesting to work over your 8 hours.

That ain't gonna happen. (Well not from me, at least. They can go sit on a tack. With the myriad of problems around there, they focus on TIME!? HILARIOUS!)

I've been doing this 8 hour workday all week. It is interesting. I don't work as hard. If things are left undone, they'll get done the next day. And no one's giving me crap about it.

And I don't feel bad about it. Works our better for me, as I am following the rules, you see...

I haven't been blogging because it's a beast trying to log in to blogger. I suppose I have a virus of some type. The computer makes me clear my caches and cookies, then HOPEFULLY I can log in. It takes hours, though. So as you can see, not much blogging for moi.

I guess I have to take my computer in to get cleaned. I want a little netbook in the meantime. I have to talk to my finance accountability partner about this, though.

Tonight I have a Women of Color Writing Workshop. Last time was so-so, as all the regulars weren't there, and the more erotic crew showed up, so, uh, my pure innocent virginal ears heard many interesting things. Very well written, but uh, had to make sure I kept an open mind, lol...

Midterm elections are coming up, and I'm having to spend time thinking and reading about various candidates. I was always one who voted in major elections, like presidential, but I heard a very good sermon a few years ago concerning getting out and voting, and how folks died so we could vote, and don't bother praying about change in the country if you're not willing to sit down and research your district's candidates. That disturbed me. And yes, the traffic is sparse in my voting spot on minor election days, but I do try to go and do my part.

So as a result, I've been listening to black talk radio. It's much more detailed and more variable than conservative talk radio. There's more of a focus on local issues. That along with a little reading is helpful.

So, I urge you to vote in the upcoming election. It's very important.

I don't have much on tap for the weekend. More fall cleaning, and a great deal of writing. I plan to get out and enjoy what appears to be a gorgeous sunny weekend...

Congrats to Tayari Jones, who I affectionately refer to as Miss Celie... Looks like the new book will be out early next year. It's been such an honor and priviledge to actually "see" this whole process over the past five years, from conception to the point of birth.

Y'all know she's my FAVORITE author, and I'm her number 1 fan, and I jock her like crazy, lol. She's put up with my stalker stan activities quite well, and she's been such a good mentor to me...

So you go Celie! I can't wait to hold a fresh copy of Silver Girl in my hands!

That's it for my Friday Freestyles. Have a great weekend! On purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!