Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Of Field Trips and Twists

So...

I mentioned in Monday's post that I had a field trip planned for Monday night.

And it was to one of my favorite places.

The Dekalb Farmer's Market.




I absolutely LOVE this place. This is probably my best place for organic fruits and vegetables at a reasonable price. Everything is super fresh, and it's only a 20 minute drive from my home.

This became a field trip because one of my homegirls wanted to go. She's been before, but we'd been talking for the past few weeks about getting together and going. I don't care to go on the weekends, because everybody and their Mama is up in that joint. On a weekday evening, I can take my time, look around, and shop in peace.

So my girl Dawn and I hooked up.

Now you've heard me talk about Dawn before. She's one of my former book club sistas, and she facilitates my writing workshop.

She's the one who comes up with those odd wonderful writing prompts.

She's also, according to LadyTee, the world's best massage therapist. LadyTee thinks she's black Jesus.

"Whhhooooo Lawd! When Dawn get through with you, you can do anythang!"
*Me rolling my eyes at the incredible amount of jocking LadyTee does whenever Dawn's name come up*

"She get it allllll, babes! Ears, fangers, toes, left butt cheek, right butt cheek. She get it all, except the cat and the breasts! And that's cool."

Ladytee goes on and on and on... to the point where, whenever I see Dawn, I expect her a halo to pop up over her head and for angels to sing!

But this never happens. She's just good ol' Dawn...

And since we both work downtown, she decided to just trail me out to the Eastside for our little field trip.

The funniest part of this high speed jaunt down I-20 and I-285 was me calling Dawn on her cell phone and going OFF on her.

"Dawn if you don't turn those high beams off, I'm gonna pull over, park this car, and beat your butt, man!!!!"

LOL

We finally made it out there. And we had a great time. Dawn is like a little kid, having to run around and smell everything. I did my usual. She has this thing for baking tilapia these days, and she tried to bake some catfish recently. (I'm still laughing about THAT, lol). I pointed out some good fishes for baking (Amberjack, halibut, grouper), so she could kick some variety.
She frowned up when I ordered some some rainbow trout and had them cleaned. I plan ahead, man. I may want some doggone fish. I may not. Who knows. I also bought some chicken wings. (Don't worry. All that ish is in the freezer in the garage. Still inhaling my plants and fruits with a vengeance man).

I left with a basket full of fruits and veggies. Dawn left with a few items... one of which was a pint of coconut oil.

Hmmm... You know I was hollering, "Hey, that's what you put in your hair. That's what the natural heads use in their heads!"

Anyway, we finished up and headed back to my house, which is on the way to her place on the Westside. She has been on me to make her a salad.

I make the BEST salads. That's like my staple food or something. Whenever I go anywhere, and I know I'll be gone for awhile, I take a huge salad. I took one to her house awhile back, and she has been wailing for salad every since. So we came back to my house and I made her a BIG one, enough to last her for 3 days, consisting of baby green lettuces, raddichio, strawberries, cucumbers, tomatoes, grapes, mushrooms, raisins, seeds and nuts.

She was happy. Very happy.

LadyTee called. I told her Dawn was over.

I could hear the glee in LadyTee's voice. She's such a jocker. lol

Then Dawn did something odd.

She went out to the her car, got her coconut oil, and started playing with her hair.

I didn't pay much attention at first. Unsung was on, and they were doing Angela Winbush. I was chopping up the salad fixings and mixing them together.

Dawn was sitting on a stool, next to the kitchen island.

"You're twisting out your hair!" I whispered loudly.

She peered at me curiously, rubbed her fingers in the coconut oil... and continued to twist.

"You're twisting out your hair! In MY kitchen. I must go get my camara!!!!!!"

*breaking out into a HARD sprint into the laundry room to get my camera out of my bag*

I was SOOOOOO amazed.

"You're twisting out your hair in my kitchen. I gotta get some pictures! This gonna make me so popular with the natural heads!"

"What?" Dawn said, as she continued to twist.

"You natural headed chicks. Ya'll are like a gang or something. Some type of force!"

Dawn had that look on her face that said "LadyLee is off in the head"

So I took a few pictures... All the while yelling... "You're twisting out your hair! In my kitchen!!!





I must've taken 4 bazillion pictures.


And she was doing it... without a comb! (Can you do that? I would've gave you a comb, Dawn!)



Poor Dawn, I even followed her in the bathroom when she was trying to check it in the mirror! Still hollering "You are doing some twists!"



She couldn't quite get the back twisted. I couldn't help her with that. "You gotta ask them natural hair broads about that one, Dawn!" I said. "It looks alright to me, man!"





I must admit... I do like the coconut butter.



The picture is fuzzy, but a pint of good organic thai coconut butter is $3.99. And it has a melting point of 75 degrees, so it melts in your hand. (this amazed the Dr. LadyLee chemist part of me).

I mixed some with my shea butter, olive oil and herbal mixture I use on my head, and it was ON!

Whooo... Too much adventure for your friendly neighborhood Oldgirl. My heart is still beating fast. Had me hollering, "Serenity and them gonna love this!" LOL

DAWN! I can't wait for our next field trip.

I think we as a writing group are suppose to catch the MARTA train and do a little people watching and do some writing...

Now, that's gonna make for an interesting blog post, lol...

9 comments:

  1. That coconut butter looks real good, real moisturizing.

    She did a dang good job twisting w/o a mirror or anything and they will prob make a good soft twistout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im thinking that will be a great twistout for sure. I may have to get some of that coconut butter! Yeah for #naturalhair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @This One Woman and Serenity...

    My bad. That is COCONUT OIL. I must be thinking about cocoa butter. That is the oil... Don't knock me upside the head. I was writing this all late...

    Heck man, looked like butter to me. And I ain't going back and changing it, lol...

    See, I did a bootleg natural hair post. And I ain't even got natural hair! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. that oil is the truth! i use it on my entire body...head to toe!
    her hair looks great...
    and the cookies...gal...Bishop (my son) is still taking about how good they were...thanks again friend.
    tgn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:20:00 AM

    Don't laugh at her wanting to bake catfish.
    A friend of mine recently grilled catfish on the grill (it was seasoned, wrapped in foil with bell peppers and onions and place on grill). It was really good. We all attacked it like we had never eaten fish before.

    Not a natural sista, but I may just need to try out that coconut oil, gave her hair a good shine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!... I bake catfish...place in foil as the lady noted above and with the same ingredients...good eating :) -- Farmer's Market can be a zoo --even on some weekday mornings...I have to stop and get me and the baby girl some coconut oil/butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ you asking can you do that without a comb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @The Good Nurse... GOOD NURSE! My favorite health professional! Ya'll STILL wailing about them cookies!? LOL! Glad ya'll liked them.

    Yeah, that coconut oil is something else. Especiall they whold melting in your hand bizness. WOW

    @Cyncere Sista and She Needs... We were talking about the baked catfish thing. I'm hearing you can bake it, but because it's a dirty muddy type fish, you better season it down with something strong... I see ya'll seasoned it up. I don't think I'll bake or grill it with some plain ol' salt and pepper. I think that's what she did...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to buy me some cocnut oil. that looks like it will work wonders on my natural hair. I may have to sit this weekend and try to "twist my hair out".
    Girl, you crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!