Thursday, February 09, 2012

A Chickpea Tale!

So...

I've been experimenting with chickpeas lately.

I must say that in the past, I have liked them at times, and at other times I haven't. For some reason the aftertaste was bothering me.

That is, until my coworker, who recently went vegetarian, began bringing in little disposable gladware containers of some of her curry dishes containing chickpeas...

...and man oh man were they tasty. No strange aftertaste or anything.

"They're easy to cook, LadyLee," she said, her eyes wide with excitement. "You just have to rinse them really well. They're good, and they keep you full!"

I trust what she says. Her and her husband know they be researching their dishes pretty hard. She KNOWS what she's talking about! And it's all soooooo good.

So I tried them out. I bought some canned ones at the store, rinsed them good and used them. No strange aftertaste!

"You can buy them raw and cook them, LadyLee," she said. Just soak them overnight, rinse them good, and cook them for about an hour. And you can store them in the fridge for a couple of weeks."

This sounded even better. And cheaper. And you know me. Don't bother me one bit to have something cooking on the stove and do something else.

So I tried this. Here's my raw chickpeas.

For some bizarre reason, I got a notion to try to bite into one of these. They are hard as rocks. Almost broke a tooth on it.

Then I soaked them overnight. They swell up to twice their size.



This always amazes me. It brings out my scientific side. I was asking myself the question, what is the rate of absorption of water per minute?

Hmmm... I don't know the answer, and like you, I don't care.

I cooked my chickpeas and added a few of them to some stirfried vegetables.

Talk about something GOOD!

WOW!!!

Lady Lifetime knows what she's talking about!

"Yo LadyLifetime! Those chickpeas were the bomb!

"I told you, girl," she said. "They are good!"

You got that right. Really though.

Glad I learned something new, something I can add to my veggie library!!!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:24:00 PM

    chickpeas...hmmmmm haven't ever had them...if they are anything like green peas...ummmm no thanks...but if they are like any type of bean...i'll try them....

    dee in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned about the yumminess of chickpeas a years back when I was at the salad bar at Wholefoods and decided to put some in my salad. Glad you discovered them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems easy enough. I LOVE chickpeas. I may even try to make some hummus! Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!