Monday, February 06, 2012

The Last Day. Of the 41st Year. In the Life of Your Friendly Neighborhood Oldgirl LadyLee

It is Monday...

The Monday Before...

That Monday Before I turn 42.

I've been walking around the house hollering "It is the last day of the 41st year of my life!"

Yes it is.

It is...

The Last Day...

Of the 41st year...

In the Life of your Friendly Neighborhood LadyLee.

And I pondered this, while folding clothes, cleaning the bathroom, and gathering trash to take out later on.

Oh what a great year it has been. Simply terrific.

I'll write about that tomorrow. Not sure whether I will do an introspection post tomorrow. I would love to. But I have so much to write. I promise to condense and keep it short if I do.

I am OFF today. I sort of am at odds with that because I have a ton of paperwork on my desk. But the truth of the matter is that that is not my problem. I've been working hard. And I don't work on my birthday. Period. And I wanted to at least take my birthday and the day before off.

And you will not believe this, but I worked on Saturday! From 11:00 am to 2:45pm.

Members of management were there. O_o. Odd. Interesting, but odd.

Yesterday was my church's 26th anniversary. I rarely go to church on Sunday, but I figured, what the heck. And it was a good kickoff to my birthday holiday. Church anniversary is actually on my birthday, February 7th. So it is REALLY easy to remember the date, LOL

Karen Clark-Sheard was a special guest. That woman know she can SANG! I have NEVER heard anyone sing so loud and clear, and she wasn't even singing. There was a program on Friday night for my pastor's 50th birthday and 30 years of ministering, and she and the rest of the Clark sisters were there, performing all the old classics. Now I bet THAT was something to see. WOW.

But it was a good service. A south african Pastor who was instrumental in reworking the South African constitution after aparthied was the special guest. VERY interesting to hear someone who was a part of that history speak about life.

The most interesting thing I heard was: "You find out what you really believe in the midst of trouble, when you go through a few things. Your courage comes from staying focused on Jesus. Looking to yourself only porduces fear."

Hmmm.... looking to yourself only produces fear. And I can understand what he means by that. I myself, in the midst of my personal storms, find that I get upset not only about what I am going through, but the sheer magnitude of it all. And then I build these pictures in my mind and I get all exasperated really over the fear that I will never get over this, or this will always be how it is.

When in actuality, all things are temporary. I'm going through things. But the operative word here is "through". There is a beginning, a middle and an end.

And I need to get focused on a good end. A good solution. A good result.

Me and my sister Kentucky were talking about this yesterday, concerning some of her personal goals. I always like to check on her progress. She says that she's avoiding much exasperation by really focusing on very small goals, and believing to accomplish those. I told her I am too, and that is when I get the most done, and my faith stays strong. We encouraged each other to stay prayerful. That is the core of our focus.

Play Mama A and I had a long convo about this on Saturday evening: Do you focus on what God says about you, or do you focus on your circumstances...

Interestingly, the sermons at our respective churches were on that very subject matter... in great detail.

And I LOVE that, man!!

That happens a lot with us. That's called confirmation. God's stamp on what we were discussing.

And hey, I welcome that. Reinforces me. Let's me know I'm moving in the right direction.

And that's a GOOD thing.

Man... sorry for the food-for-thought moment. Well not really. LOL. That's what's on my mind right now. Especially since this is...

The last day.

Of the 41st year.

In the life of your friendly Neighborhood Oldgirl, LadyLee.

I'm not sure what all I'm doing on this off day. I'm going down to the Southside and snatch up LadyTee and we want to go see the movie Albert Nobbs.


Look at Glenn Close. They got her looking like a dude, straight up. She is up for an Oscar for this part. I hope she win. We are going to try and go see this movie. It's an arthouse movie, so it's only playing in a couple of theatres in the city. So we are going to try to track it down.

But that is all for now.

I need a song of the week. On this day, the last day of my 41st year, I need a good song.

This is my favorite song to listen to before I leave for work in the mornings. You know, while I'm looking for my keys, and getting my lunch and bags together to leave.





That's a good song. I feel alright after I listen to that.

I tend to holler "See you later, Oscar-Tyrone! You have a fine fine time patrolling this house today! Glory! Bye, boy!"

Oscar meows. And walks off.

LOL

You have a great day!

On purpose!

3 comments:

  1. When in actuality, all things are temporary. I'm going through things. But the operative word here is "through". There is a beginning, a middle and an end. <---- TRUTH!!!!!

    Man yep. That ALWAYS happens. I still think our pastors hear our convos lol.

    I've never heard this song but I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:16:00 PM

    Happy birthday eve....whatever you do enjoy!!!

    My pastor reminded us yesterday how proud we should be to be born African American, black or colored, whichever you want to be called. Why because We stand on the shoulders of GREAT folks that came before us....and GOD made our dark skin and we are WONDERFULLY MADE...It was a "feel good" sermon that left me feeling good ALL DAY LONG....

    Dee in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:19:00 PM

    oops forgot to make the point I was going to make....

    When i'm going thru I try and remind myself that GOD is watching to see how i'm going to act/react....If i'll trust him thru it...FAITH or act a fool and fall apart FAITHLESS

    Dee in San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!