Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Barely Breathing (The Peephole)

I'm looking through the peephole, and what do I see?


I see him pacing back and forth.
I see him stopping in front of the peephole and peering closer.
I see his face.
His face is warped
His brow is furrowed.
He is pissed.

I stand there with my arms folded tightly across my chest
I'm barely breathing, as still as a statue.
You see, I don't want him to see me, or to even know that I'm there.

I hold my breath and watch as he cups his hands to the peephole.
He moves closer and places his face to his hands, as if that will help him see inside.

He's not getting in tonight.

And I will stand here all night if I must
Watching, waiting, and barely breathing.

Yes, I will hold my breath and watch.
It is better to stand here watching and waiting,
And peering through the peephole

Than to face another threat,
Another accusation,
Another beating.

Tonight the peephole is my friend.
It is my third eye, allowing me to watch
And hope that the man on the other side,
The man who claims to love me
Will eventually go away...

...Go far far away.



From Women of Color Writing Workshop, September 2010...
5 minute writing prompt - You're through through a peephole... What do you see?w

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:31:00 PM

    Deep and powerful. It speaks very well to the domestic violence issues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the poetry ^_^ !!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!