Sunday, February 10, 2013

Birthday Change!

I do something interesting between birthdays:

I save all my change.

So I place all my change in a jar....


My best friend LadyTee and I usually spend our birthdays together. It is always funny when I yell to LadyTee "Hey, run me by the Kroger!", and we go inside and find the coin counter machine and pour all my change in.

I am not sure what's up with the dollars in the jar. I keep this jar on the laundry sink in my laundry room, and when I am washing pants and shirts, I place any change from the pockets in there. So I guess I found dollar bills and placed them in there too.

And that is my "birthday money". I immediately take that cash and go buy something.

This year my tally was $52.29.


$47.17 after the fee the machine takes for counting it all.

168 quarters, 64 dimes, 46 nickels, and 159 pennies!

There was more change than that. But those coins were unacceptable to the machine:



There's plenty of foreign change there from my thrilling adventures in Aruba, Curacao, and Canada.

There are also some useless bus tokens, a restroom token, and some game tokens. Hmm. Don't know what to do with those, but I am glad I know where my square Arubian 50 cent coin is, lol.

I usually end up saving between $50 to $100 in change. So that's always a nice little birthday "running around" money.

These last couple of years though, I haven't bought anything immediately with the money. I've used it as my cash for my wallet. That can be my money for the week, or if someone needs something, I have some cash on hand.

And that's cool. There wasn't anything I really wanted to buy anyway.

So that will be money for the week. And that's something to be excited about!

8 comments:

  1. I have a change jar. It is a jelly jar size and I empty it into a bigger container which used to be a pasta holder. I plan to cash in the money when the bigger container is full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How big is that jar? That's gonna be a lot of cash!

      Delete
  2. I have a change jar as well...I can't' remember if it's been a year since I started colleting though, because this is my first time doing it. I think I shall wait until my next birthday and make it a tradition and start emptying it on my birthday as well. Great ideal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do better when I am using cash and I generate a lot of change. But this year, I was more down with the debit card. Seems like change is lower then.

      I use to save my dollar bills. I would have $400 to $500 dollars at the end of the year. THAT came in handy for all my christmas shopping!

      Delete
  3. The Green Eyed Bandit9:31:00 PM

    I need to be consistent with my change jar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend saves change and every time I go to his house, I want to snatch it and run. He cashed in a few jars last year. It came up to over $4500. He still has 2 big jars left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to get better with our change jar lol. I Think the kids rob us lol

    When I was pregnant with Aj I would take $2 out of the jar every day and go get some icecream from dairy queen lol. Tony kept noticing his money missing lol. YOu should ask him about that next time you are over lol. He always gets tickled lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool idea! I don’t have a change jar. What I use is a coin box/tray. I keep all my change there at the end of the day. And when it is already full at the end of the month, I immediately go to the bank to deposit the money I saved. I’d love to try your birthday change some other time. :) #Harriett Faulks

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!