Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Happy 1st Birthday, Lucy!!!

This time last year, on February 11th, I bought a brand new car!!

Well, not necesarrily "brand new".  Brand new for me, you see.

The car is 13 years old. But like I said, it was new to me.

So to me it's 1 year old.

Happy Birthday, Lucy!!!
I wasn't going to buy a car that day. Oh, I had all my information. It was THE car I wanted. (I had a list of 3 of them: this one, a black one, and a white one).

I was leaving to go get my taxes done that day. I went out into the garage and got into Pam the Protege, turned the key and...

*click*

Oh man. Car dead. I figured it was the battery. I called my sister, who happened to be shopping nearby.  She scooped me up and we purchased a battery for Pam. Changed it out (as fast as only two girls can), and all was good.

But since she has bought cars before, and does intense research, I said to her, "Hey Kentucky, I want you to see this car I want. It's a little high price right now, and I am watching it to see if it is reduced, but I want you to see it."

She drove me to the dealership and I showed her the car in the lot. I showed her a couple of the scratches on it, to which she rolled her eyes. ("Why are you tripping abou that, Lee? Who cares?")

The sellsman saw us out there and ran up on us. After a couple of hours of haggling (my sister got the price reduced by $3000... GLORY), we were out of there!

And we named her LUCY. (Name has to start with an "L" since it a Lexus).

There is the sellsman putting her tag on.

I know he thought we were crazy... with me doing the hard *church spins and shouts* in the parking lot, while my sister did the hard church clap and foot stomp. LOL

(And he REALLY thought we were crazy when we were trying to persuade him to take us for a ride in a $70,000 lexus. Heck naw'l we weren't gonna buy it. Just wanted him to chauffer us around the block. Didn't help that we were saying we were gonna knock him in the head and steal it. O_o).

So I went back and found some old pictures of Lucy...

There's Lucy in the driveway at home!

Lucy getting her first car wash!
Lucy getting vacuumed out!
Lucy getting buffed and waxed!
 Lucy parked down in my garage!

You can't tell there, but Lucy was squeaky clean!

There's another garage picture.


LadyTee wants to clean out the garage so we can get both cars in there. O_O. Nope. I might tare something up trying to get both cars in there. 

Happy Birthday, dear Lucy!!

This car has worked out VERY well for me over the past year. I always wonder about used cars. Am I getting a lemon? Is it going to stop on me? Can I afford the keep it up? Ugh! So many questions.

I didn't know when the timing belt or anything else needed to be change, so I saved up some money and got some young dudes who specialize in Lexuses to pull it apart and look at it. They said it was a good car, and had been kept up well.

"Everything had been done already. Whoever had the car prior to you really kept it up." they said. "And how the heck did you find one of these with such low low miles??!?!?"

*ladylee cheesing extra hard*
They did everything so I could have a baseline for when maintenance needed to be done.

This has been a really nice ride for me. I am MORE than pleased. I don't have a long commute so I fill up my tank approximately every 3 weeks. I've put it on the road for travel and it has done well on the freeway (I can get 600 miles out of one tank of gas... can't beat that.) I have put a little less that 7000 miles on it this year, which is a little higher than normal since I did take some trips out of town. But overall, this has been a really good car.

Someone was talking about vision boards on twitter one day, and I went in search of an old one I made in 2008. I remember that my dream car was on it.


And there was that car on there.


Same color. Same model.

I tell you... there has to be something to making a vision board, eh???

Hmm...
I still have ol' reliable Pam. She stays out in the driveway.

Here they are facing the green bootleg liquor house, lol.


I still drive ol' Pam. That car is good for rippin' and runnin' on the weekends.

 She is squeaky clean here, as I had just come from the car wash that day!
I LOVE that little car. It has done me well. I had funky credit way back in 2000, and I bought it with 20% interest (financial whiz Single Ma just fell off her chair). It's never been much of a problem.  I've put around 1000 miles on her this year. She needs the 150,000 mile service. That will get done soon.

Someone wants to buy it.

NO WAY.

I plan on sowing it into someone's life. It'll be a good car for a teenager, or a single mother who needs a car. I am sure someone will be around next year when the time comes.

That's when I will be purchasing "Frank".

Hmmmmmm.

We won't discuss that right now! This is Lucy's day!

Happy Birthday Lucy!

You sho nuff been good to me :)

[Drawing for the 43rd birthday sweepstakes will be reported tonight. So stay tuned!!]

3 comments:

  1. Lucy looks good, Doc. Come pick me up for a ride!

    You know my eyes stretched when I saw that interest rate. I remember those days myself. Whew!

    Whoever gets Pam next year will be blessed. You are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthay Lucy.

    Your sister was good to talk down the price by that much.

    I love how your car is on a vision board. Some visions don't come the year you plan them. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Lucy!!!!

    Vision Boards are the bomb!!!! I look at mine everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!