Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Birthday Funnies: Shared Sandwiches

This has been my favorite raw snack as of late:


Apple Sandwiches.

I came across this recipe while perusing raw recipe cookbooks. My goal is to try out one or two new recipes per week. Hopefully I will find some good easy ones, with the added goal of finding something I don't mind having on a regular basis.

And those sandwiches are simple. Mix a couple of teaspoons or raisins into raw almond butter. Slice a apple down and take it from there. Very easy. And something I like as a between meal snack. I need more simple recipes like that!

Anyway, last Friday was LadyTee's birthday, and we went to the movies. I knew I didn't want the usual popcorn and soda, so I decided to throw a baggie of these apple sandwiches in my purse. (I usually take a baggie of apple wedges anyway. This was just something different. And better as far as I am concerned).

LadyTee didn't comment whilst I was grabbing them out of a cooler in my trunk. We went on into the theater, and I paid $12 for her small popcorn and cherry Icee.

($12. When did it all get that expensive? I know that movies make their money off concessions, but DANG).

While we were sitting in the movie theater watching previews, LadyTee posed a question.

"So, what did you bring to eat while we watch the movie?"

"Some apple sandwiches," I replied.

"What's that?" she asked after a moment of hesitation.

"Almond butter sandwiched between two apple slices. It is very good."

"Humph," she said.

"I get the fresh ground almond butter from the natural foods co-op store. I keep that in the fridge anyway. And I saw this recipe, and it worked out fine."

"I don't like almond butter," LadyTee said.

*silence*

"I like peanut butter," she continued when I didn't reply. "I have some almond butter, but I don't like the way it tastes."

"Okay," I said.

"But you know when you pull that out your purse you gonna give me one, right?"

O_o.

And she was eyeing me hard when I pulled them out. I grabbed a napkin and gave her one and watched her take a bite. I was waiting for her to throw it, but she didn't.

"They have raisins in them," I said.

LadyTee HATES raisins. With a passion. The look on her face was priceless. You would've thought I told her there were spiders in her apple sandwich.

But she ate it anyway.

Later at dinner, we talked about it.

"LadyLee, I know you were thinking 'How this broad gonna ask for my food and she don't even eat almond butter?'".

"Yes I was thinking that. That's why you had your popcorn and Icee."

"I ate it and it was good," she said. "I had to spit out them hulls, though."

"Yes, you suppose to core the apples. But I don't have an apple corer, and when I tried to core it with a nice, I tore up some slices. So that wasn't happening again."

That was all too funny. And you had to be there to get the full gist of it.

I was happy to share my little apple sandwiches. Those usually last me three days.

Two days when sharing with LadyTee.

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried almond butter but everyone tells me I should. This recipe does sound good.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!