Wednesday, March 26, 2014

LadyLee Field Trips on the West Side

If I have to do business or have appointments in areas of my city that I rarely frequent, I like to peruse and visit different places.

In other words, I like to take field trips.

I don't particularly like to hang out in the western suburbs, as that is the ex-husband's side of town.

But there were a couple of places, some specialty grocery stores, I wanted to visit out that way.

Like Life Grocery.
I'd heard about this place, but I had no idea where it was. I knew it was near the "Big Chicken".


Yes, the Big Chicken. That is the local landmark for that area. You can see that sucker from a mile away. If anyone gives directions in that area, the Big Chicken is referenced. A few years ago I'd asked how far Life Grocery was from The Big Chicken, and I was told it was nearby. And I knew my Chiropractor wasn't far from there, so I went searching for the store.

It was a nice store. Small. And expensive as all get out. My natural foods store in the hood is cheaper. But I found some good raw crackers made from flaxseed instead of flour. So that was a good find.

7 crackers for $4.  There must be flecks of gold in those crackers. Well, there are not. But they are good. And they will last me awhile, seeing that I have a flax seed allergy.  Too much flax seed have me scratching like a junkie. That's not good. Only half a cracker for me, honey.

I also scored some nutritional yeast. That is VERY hard to find in town. But I wanted a good grade of it.

Anyway, I also went to Harry's Farmers market. This is the White People's Whole Foods.

It's just called Harry's Farmers market for some reason. That store has been there forever. I remember going there back in 1997, when I lived a few miles away from there.

It has been remodeled since then and it is BEAUTIFUL.

I was just a smiling while walking through. I wanted to holler out "This place is GORGEOUS!"

It wasn't all packed out like a club, like the one in Midtown nearest me. It was very nice. And the prices were the same. Some of my regular organic veggies and salad greens are cheaper at the Whole Foods than at my usual dekalb famers market. Other stuff is sky high!

There are a couple of very nice Wal-Marts out that way too.  And the prices at the Wal-marts out that way are 5 to 10 percent cheaper. Humph. The yarn is 7% cheaper, and they have a TON of it. Go figure!

*making mental note to go out to the westside on yarn runs in the future*

Yes, there's nothing like a good field trip.

Yes indeed!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:14:00 PM

    This is my hood! You should have stopped by and showed me how to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you keep hollering that... I will DM you my phone number on twitter. How's that?

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:04:00 AM

    Sounds like a plan.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!