Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Happy Veterans Day


Happy Veterans Day!

I would like to say thank you to all military for protecting our freedom.  I will never know what it is to put on a uniform fight the enemy. But they have done so, and I am thankful for those still here and those who have given their lives for this country.

Today, my brother, a veteran himself, posted a picture of my grandparents.  My grandfather is in his uniform, and holding my aunt. And my mother is standing in front of my grandparents.

This picture is a little less than 65 years old.

It is classic. It is timeless.

Now, what's funny is that I was sitting next to my grandma while scrolling through facebook. We were at the clinic at the local drugstore near her home. I'd taken her for her flu shot, and we were waiting for her name to be called. I tapped her on her shoulder and I showed her the phone.

"Who is this?" I asked.

She squinted hard at the picture. I held it closer, since she didn't have her glasses.

Her eyes widened when she recognized the picture. She got excited, placing her fingers to her lips.

"That's me!" she hollered. "It's me!"

Then she burst into a fit of giggles.

I told her that Kari (my brother) had posted it on Facebook. I'm not even sure she know what "Facebook" was, but it was just a joy to sit and watch her reaction to seeing a picture of herself in her Sunday's best with her husband and two young children.

That was my blessing of the day, among others.

But for some reason it brought tears to my eyes.

I think it's because I miss my grandfather. He died some 13 years ago. He was always someone who was happy to see me. I think of those moments when I do something that pisses someone off and they act silly on me. (I know that don't make much sense, but it is my reality).

Or maybe it was just seeing the surprise and joy in my Grandmother's eyes. It was such a happy moment.

Whatever it was, it was good.

And it made for an excellent Veterans Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!