Thursday, November 12, 2015

Thoughts on Something New...

I like to eat or drink something new periodically, and this fall I bought a jar of macadamia nut milk from Treehouse Milk.


I'm not a big fan of macadamia nuts. I am more of a fan of the pecans and cashews.

But I had never seen "macadamia milk" before. I think this is because macadamia nuts are expensive. I've never bought any, but people ask if I bake macadamia nut cookies.

The answer is always.... Uh, no.

Anyway, I bought this milk. The cost? $9. During the last week before my sister left for UAE, I took her to my favorite little gourmet grocer, The Mercantile, and we saw it.

Pricey! But it's made locally, with no additives. Worth a try.

It tasted... alright. Very thin. No sweetness. It tasted like watered down skim milk.

I drank it. But I don't want anymore.

Why? Because it costs too much. And it didn't blow my skirt up. I will stick to my almond, rice, and cashew milks. I like oat and hemp milk also.

I looked at this and thought "This must be something white folk drank."

LOL! I don't know why I think like that! I need to change that mentality!!

It did have the macadamia nut taste. It was definitely macadmia nut milk. I don't care for macadamia nuts, so that is most likely why I was neutral about it. I ain't GOTS to have any more of it.And I think the major problem (or benefit, really), is that it doesn't have all the additives, some of which are considered not good for us. So it tastes different. I have to admit that it tasted very clean, if that makes any sense.

They do have a cashew milk, though. I may try that next time. They also have pecan milk. I want to try that one, too. So I will buy more milk.  I just like supporting businesses in my community :)

Anyway, I had another thought... This must be what breast milk tastes like.

Uh, I wouldn't know. I just remember my mother pumping breast milk from her breast with a manual pump, and then storing it in the refrigerator for my brother and sister when they were newborns.

I wouldn't know what breast milk tastes like. I was too chicken to taste it.

Anyway, I have a funny story.

My mother had made biscuits one Sunday morning back in 1981, when my sister was just born. My stepfather and I really liked the biscuits, so much so that we had seconds.

"Those were some really good biscuits," my 11-year-old self said to my mother.

"Sure were," my step-father said.

"I'm glad you liked them," my mother said. "Because I'd ran out of regular milk so I used breast milk instead."

WOW!

UGH.

My stepfather and I were... speechless.

And for years, whenever she made biscuits, I paused.

That was just a funny story.

This was a good buy, a good "something new". I want to try more of their milks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!