Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Babysitting Blues, PART II: "The Queen of the Collard Greens"

Warning: If I babysit your beloved child, I will put your beloved child to WORK.

Case in point: Hen-Dog and Cynt's baby girl.

She already KNOWS she gonna work when she step into the House of LadyLee.

Best of all, she works with a smile. A BIG SMILE.



I told her, "Chayse, today, this very day... You ARE the Queen of the Collard Greens.





Yes, she was happy for that coveted titled.

We stood her little tail in a chair, threw the greens in the sink, and commanded her to get busy plucking the greens from the big center stem!


I stood there hollering "Go girl! Go girl! Go, Go, Go girl! "




And she was doing a GOOD job.


Next time, I'm going to buy a couple of those big red buckets of chitlins and let her clean them.

She also prepared the cornbread. Kentucky measured out the ingredients. We placed everything on the dining room table, steadied the little gal on a stool, and let her do the darn thing!




(Sidenote: Cynt, you are CRAZY for doing that girl's hair in all those little plaits. NO ONE has that much time on their hands.)



She made 4 round glass pie dishes of cornbread.



I complained about this. "Kentucky, ya'll coulda just used the big rectangular baking pan, and-"

Kentucky shook her head slowly, gave me a slight evil eye. "She's busy. We're just keeping her busy. Busy, busy, busy."

(Kentucky is getting a masters in childhood education. This is the age group she's been teaching as of late. I just decided to chill and let them make multiple pans of cornbread.)

One thing that had us all looking crazy... When Chayse sprays a pan with PAM cooking spray, she tries to empty the whole doggone can or something.



You see how cloudy that picture is? That's the spray flying all over the place.

Shoot man... even my glasses were all misted with Pam Cooking spray.

Once I realized that I was getting all greasy, I yelled "STOPPPPPPP, GUUUURLLLL!! STOP!"

*Chayse looks at LadyLee like she has lost her mind*
I followed that up by quietly instructing Kentucky to spray the pans. PAM is expensive. No need to get THAT happy with it. HUMPH.

All in all, it was a decent day. The girl was gone 3 hours before I would call DFACS to come and get her.
I can't wait for this child to be old enough to drive. I'm gonna run her ragged.

Until then... Chayse will have to come back and clean some red buckets of chitlins for us real soon:)

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:15:00 AM

    Chayse is a cute little girl. Atleast she did the work and didn't complain. That's great.

    As for the braids, I get my sister to do my daughter's hair like that. It does take a while but it saves me from having to comb her hair everyday.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn, now i remember why i'm hesitant to stop through your spot. you like putting guests to WORK. lol

    happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massa Ladylee strikes again! And I can't help but to love when she does it!!!

    Poor Chayse. I feel for her and them red buckets.

    Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there!

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    That child was REALLY working!!

    Well..you are right...she was smiling the whole time!!

    *giggles*

    Kids.

    Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You put her to work-lolololololol..
    My daughter used to help me cook when she was younger. My grandson is a little too young to be trusted with anything in the kitchen right now..Mrs.Keith would hear of it-lolololol...

    Hope you and yours had a Happy
    Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's a cutie! Good to get them started cooking early! What huge greens you have my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:35:00 PM

    She is so precious and she looks so serious about getting her job done. That was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "plucking the greens from the big center stem"

    I do this when I make kale.

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!