Sunday, November 30, 2008

Happy Birthday, Queen!

*LadyLee stands up, and bows so hard that her lips kiss the ground*

I would like to wish Your Highness, the Queen, a Happy Happy Birthday!!!

*LadyLee falls prostrate to the ground*



No, not THAT Queen. Not the Queen of England.

I'm talking about the Queen of Lurk City, the main lurker on my blog, Miss Celie, Tayari Jones!!!!!


Happy Birthday Tayari!!!

Now, I'll keep this brief, as there are Tayari shrines scattered all throughout the House of LadyLee...

Miss Celie turns 38 today.

Miss Celie, I want you to know, that I have been 38 for 9 months... and honey, 38 is GREAT!!

Miss Celie got a REALLY nice birthday present, early no less. She was laying in bed, minding her own bizness, when she got a phone call with some really good news. But she had to keep it to herself until it was officially announced.

You know me... I tried to pry it out of her.

"Lee, something great happened!"
"What is it, Celie?"
"Can't tell you, Lee."
"Why?"
"They say we can't tell"
"You can tell me. I'm your number one fan!"
"NO."
"Come on, Miss Celie."
"No, you'll have to wait for the press release."
"Just tell me, girl! I won't tell nobody!"
"No."
"Come on, girl!
"NO
!"

*Lee proceeds to have temper tantrum. Miss Celie keeps her mouth shut.*

Well, that Botanical Chick, Carleen Brice, hipped me to a press release. Turns out Miss Celie was chosen as one of 2008 United States Artist.

Now she coulda told me. I don't know what the hell that is. If it ain't science related, I don't know what's going on. She KNOW that.

HUMPH.

The interesting thing about the United States Artist prize: (I'm sure she gets a nice lovely plaque, with her name incscribed lovingly in gold).

It comes with a $50,000.00 unrestricted grant.

That's cash money ya'll... And "unrestricted" means she can smoke it up if she want to, i.e., do whatever the heck she wants to do with it.

Now if THAT ain't a good birthday gift, I don't know what is.

I might tare something UP if I come across that much bread.

Really though.

Now, I sent her a couple of small gifts. Nothing matches that type of bread, but you KNOW the #1 fan had to send her something.

Of course I sent her a card. (Don't know if she even got it yet...WHATEVER! I am posting it anyway.

I also sent her a couple of personalized journals, modeled here by my work group Super Hero, The Infamous Hen-Dog.




(Uh, these pictures were in exchange for the boy asking me to babysit his baby girl Chayse (see last two posts). I tried to get him to take the shirt off, but he was hollering about he had to go get shaved up. HUMPH).

Yeah, Lee know how to pimp a dude. LOL!!!

Anyway, I sent some little post it notes and pads with a "T" monogram.

Hope you like that, gal!!

(I almost sent you a homemade Obama Church fan, but I decided against that, lol).

Anyway, I want to wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

I am the #1 fan... And when Ol' Tayari blows up, I'll be standing there yelling

"I TOLD YA'LL. She the MAN!!"

I've been trying to call you on your house phone, Girl!! I know I'm a groupie, but you better pick up! (Or at least clean up your voice mail! GEEZ.)

So, you know, we should eat... You know how I do.

But, I know we're all still stuffed from Thanksgiving dinners.

(In other words, you negroes better eat before you show your face up in the House of LadyLee).

So we will do this like the Queen of England would do it... all civilized like.

We're just gonna have an "Afternoon Tea"... LadyLee style.

We're having a little coffee...



And I sip on that good stuff, the $26 per pound Hawaiian Kona blend and Kenyan Special Roast. (The rest of ya'll will get the Tasters Choice instant that I got on sale.)

We're having a nice homemade sweet potato cheesecake...




Yeah, that's what's hot!

Tayari, year 37 was a good year for you. That trip to Ghana this month, shoot, I know that made your whole year! And you're off to Uganda at the beginning of the year.

Oh the stories you will tell!

And I hope your next novel, The Silver Girl, will be out!

Yep, year 38 is going to be truly great!

So Tayari, don't know what you're getting into today, but it is your day!

Make it a good one!

And oh yeah, Tayari has the running list of people in her blog family who publish stories, win awards, publish novels and what-not.

I have alerted her to a couple of scientific publications I've had this year, but of course, it ain't enough. It has to be LITERARY related.

HUMPH.

I'm going to make the list during YOUR 38th year, Miss Celie! Watch! I'm going to publish a story, and you'll be the first one to know.

*Lee jumps from seat and pump fist in the air*

Yeah... really though.

Happy birthday, Honey Chile!!

From your number one fan for life, That Oldgirl LadyLee.

11 comments:

  1. Dang! You couldn't convince him to take his shirt off! LOL!

    Yeah--I work for a non-profit...we like any kind of money but unrestricted funds are our favorite...

    I'm inspired...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing HARD at those Hulk Hogan/Jean Claude Van DAMN pics.

    I need to publish something too...even if its just my grocery list.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good lord he is fine.

    i forgot this was a birthday post.

    ohhh Lee you are so wrong for this one. girl i am sitting up here lusting on a Sunday morning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your birthday wish posts. If that ain't some of the best celebratory bigging up I've ever seen, then I haven't seen any.

    Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the unresticted funds bit myself...

    Where can I get some of those funds? {Wink}

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, you really couldn't get him to take off his shirt:-(
    That brotha is really fine. So is that how some of them look in the ATL?

    I'm thinking about relocating,LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that was good. Especially the muscle man shots. (You have to admit that he is a good looking man! We do not have men like that in the English department!) You are such a good friend to me, Ladylee. I've got a little display of the pretty envelopes you've sent me right here near my desk because they cheer me up every day!

    xoxo, t

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do the ebst birthday posts! I am hoping you celebrate me MAY 2! LOL!

    Happy Birthday Tayari! 38 is lovely...it gets better at 40!

    I WANT CARDS FROM YOU! ---I know selfish ask! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great gift for number 38. Oh to be 38 again ...

    I'm not even commenting on Hen Dog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee, Where do you work again??! I ain't never had no job that good! Oops well once I did and ... well, never mind. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to ladylee's friend!

    Cute card ;)

    ReplyDelete

Slap the *crickets* out the way, kindly step up to the mike, and SAY something!!